Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Essential Bob Warford?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Essential Bob Warford? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it's been covered but can someone list the essential tracks and albums + artists for Bob Warford's b-bender work?

I need another bender player to study.
Johnny Isaacs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can tell you some of my favorites:

Herb Pederson - Lonesome Feeling (Herb is one of the most under rated dudes ever. Great singing and songwriting. Also a Kentucky Colonel in the later days with the White Brothers. Bob's playing is great on this one.)

Chris Hillman - Desert Rose (This is a great record as it has three guitarists on it - Warford, Bernie Leadon and James Burton!)

Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like a Wheel (Willin', Darkend of the Street... Classics)

Freddy Weller - Games People Play (which also has some Clarence White on it)

I'm sure there's lots more that I'm forgetting right now, but these are some of my favorites I go back to.

Johnny Isaacs
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Johnny, but one correction: I didn't play on Freddy Weller's "Games People Play" - Clarence did. I played on Freddy's "Roadmaster".

Bob
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget these great tracks

Ian Matthews w/ Bob

http://www.clarencewhiteforum.com/mp3/TriedSoHard_Matthews_Warford.mp3

Linda Ronstadt live and in studio w/ Bob

http://www.clarencewhiteforum.com/mp3/darkend_detroit13feb74.mp3

http://www.clarencewhiteforum.com/mp3/SilverThreads.mp3

http://www.clarencewhiteforum.com/mp3/02.%20Nightengale_RecordPlant.mp3
Johnny Isaacs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - Don't I have a live recording of you playing that with Freddy? I thought I did.... unless that was Beland....

Great stuff Bob!

Johnny Isaacs
Harold W.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob also plays on one of my favorite albums of all time...Michael Dinner's first LP, The Great Pretender (Fantasy F-9454). Basically it was Michael and Linda Ronstadt, plus her band, producer, and friends playing Michael's songs. After his second album also failed to sell many copies, he won an Emmy for producing and directing The Wonder Years on TV.

"The Great Pretender"...mp3 file
"Yellow Rose Express"...mp3 file

Dogbear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, thanks..........
MarkT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the input here everyone.
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny:

You almost certainly have a recording of me playing live with Freddy Weller - at Disneyland, with Dennis St. John, Richard Bennett, Gib Guilbeau, Emory Gordy, etc...

I loved that show....

Bob
MarkT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some great playing Bob, I really like your solo on Dark End of the Street. It's in a context, I haven't heard the bender used in much. Very cool. Someone needs to do a Guitar Player magazine spot on you.

By the the way I have to comment on Ronstadt. Listening to her on a few of those live tracks reminds me how bad our current generation of vocalists are. That women was singing crystal clear, at least to my ears.
Rick Towne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Michael Dinner... Reply with quote

Bob was kind enough to send me a CD of these tracks some years ago, as all I had was the LP. They are worthy of study. They demonstrate a tight steel-guitar interplay and how to fit nice concise 1/2 and 1/2 solos into the song solo space. John Jorgenson and Jaydee Maness did the same thing in the DRB as did Bob and Ed Black on the Ronstadt tracks. I wish Bob had played on the "Lose Again" and "Try Me Again" over the top drama tunes on Ronstadt's "Hasten Down The Wind" album along with Andrew Gold and Dan Dugmore.
Rick Towne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Dark End... Reply with quote

Brian, thanks for noting the Detroit DEOTS. I don't remember hearing that solo before....it's out of this world.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dark End... Reply with quote

Rick Towne wrote:
Brian, thanks for noting the Detroit DEOTS. I don't remember hearing that solo before....it's out of this world.

Rick I agree!!
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, for the comments on the Dark End track - you can be a bit more adventurous live than in the studio, most of the time.

With that in mind, and the craziness of live performance on my mind, I'll share a story with you that still sticks in my mind.

With Linda, we were playing at Georgetown University. Sneaky Pete was playing steel at the time. Don't remember what song we played, but I somehow managed to start my solo in the wrong key, way up the neck. I spent most of the solo trying to end up in the right key, but trying to do it as unobtrusively as possible - lots of very strange bends and changes, etc. I admit, it was a really strange solo, but with no obvious errors - just really strange. One of the unsung benefits of the bender...

It worked, and ended up with an ovation.

After the show, Sneaky and I were being interviewed by people working for the campus newspaper - they asked me where I came up with the really unusual solo in that song. I told them that I got lost and started in the wrong key, and it was all an attempt to get back to where I should be - they didn't believe me.

Part of the reality of playing live, as many of you have, I'm sure, experienced.

Now an odd postscript. That was Washington, D.C., in 1974.

About a month ago, I was in Washington, D.C. for the first time since that concert - oddly enough, this time as Vice-Chair for the Southern California State Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers (really a big deal, as it turns out, for the non-lawyers among you), and was having dinner in a group that included 4 Justices of the United States Supreme Court. I was very impressed, and thrilled to be there in that capacity.

But now a retrospective view...

I have to tell you, the cultural paradigm shift between those two events was huge, to say the least.

Would I rather have been there playing guitar? I'm still not sure................................................................................................

Bob
Rick Towne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Lawyers in Love..... Reply with quote

Bob Warford wrote:
Thanks, guys, for the comments on the Dark End track - you can be a bit more adventurous live than in the studio, most of the time.

Part of the reality of playing live, as many of you have, I'm sure, experienced.

Yes, a number of times, and you can get away with a lot with a bender. People never expect to hear it in church.

Now an odd postscript. That was Washington, D.C., in 1974.

About a month ago, I was in Washington, D.C. for the first time since that concert - oddly enough, this time as Vice-Chair for the Southern California State Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers (really a big deal, as it turns out, for the non-lawyers among you), and was having dinner in a group that included 4 Justices of the United States Supreme Court. I was very impressed, and thrilled to be there in that capacity.

Congratulations again.

But now a retrospective view...

I have to tell you, the cultural paradigm shift between those two events was huge, to say the least.

Would I rather have been there playing guitar? I'm still not sure................................................................................................

I like both. I've had some fun high profile cases, and edited the California Litigation Magazine, but the best time was bringing a band to the UCLA Law School reunion.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Pickers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: