Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarence Plays the blues..NashvilleWest/Roustabouts style
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Clarence Plays the blues..NashvilleWest/Roustabouts style Reply with quote

Is there a song that showcases Clarence's approach to a classic 12 bar blues song. I'm interested in getting everyone's input on what THE Clarence blues tune would be. I'm interested in hearing his approach.

Another question I have is, what song would you say showcases Clarence's use of the classic E barre minor pentatonic scale or BB box that is so cliche in blues?

Last edited by MarkT on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever heard Clarence play a straight 12 bar blues......mostly he was too creative to be constrained by the box pattern
MarkT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard Clarence play a straight 12 bar blues......mostly he was too creative to be constrained by the box pattern

That's what I figured. I was hoping to at least get a gauge on how Clarence would approach the style. So there are no 12 bar blues Clarence cuts?

Is there a song that features his minor pentatonic use the most? He was such a fun player, that I was really interested to see how it would turn out.
Don Miller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah..I think the only "bluesy stuff Ive heard was "Baby What You Want Me to Do"...and the backing for "Moving On" on the Ash Grove boot...and those werent BB box or anything..they were Clarence.

He has a comping part he'd do..like on 8MH for instance which sounds like a minor pentatonic riff...
MarkT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Rider on Nashville West and a few others on that album probably fit. He did his take on a few classic blues licks. Columbus Stockade Blues and the Muddy Waters tune.

I really wish I knew how he was pulling of that da-di-da-di-da backing rhythm style he used so much on the Nashville West album and other albums. Can anyone offer some insight?

Last edited by MarkT on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to keep in mind he's making heavy use of hybrid pick and fingers licks on all these songs...country licks laced with bluegrass flatpicking and a couple of blues licks thrown in here and there
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Clarence's take on a Twelve Bar Blues Reply with quote

Here is a rare track that is as close an example as possible of Clarence playing a 12 bar blues. Bob Warford can fill in the historical background of this track... Thanks Bob!

http://www.clarencewhiteforum.com/mp3/Honky%20Tonk.mp3
MarkT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
You have to keep in mind he's making heavy use of hybrid pick and fingers licks on all these songs...country licks laced with bluegrass flatpicking and a couple of blues licks thrown in here and there

Yeah, I totally get that. But I look at guitar in chord fragments. It's just how I learn. I'm trying to get an idea of what patterns he would use to play those interesting backing parts so prominent on the NW album. He does a lot of it on the Fillmore Live version of Sing Me Back Home.
MarkT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Clarence's take on a Twelve Bar Blues Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Here is a rare track that is as close an example as possible of Clarence playing a 12 bar blues. Bob Warford can fill in the historical background of this track... Thanks Bob!

Awesome! Thanks!
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarence's take on a Twelve Bar Blues Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

Hope you all don't miss this track Cool
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarence's take on a Twelve Bar Blues Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Brian wrote:

Hope you all don't miss this track Cool

Nice! I'd love to hear the story on this one.
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many of the CWF members know, Clarence was the person who convinced me to switch from banjo to electric guitar. In the Summer of 1967, he loaned me a couple of different guitars and a small amp, and invited me to come out and listen to the bar band he was playing in. He also agreed to let me tape record the music.

The first night, I recorded just from the external speaker output of Clarence's Vibrolux - getting only guitar tracks. The second night, with the consent of the band, I recorded one track from the Vibrolux and the other from the house sound system. The third night was the same, but after one set, somebody who apparently worked at the club said to stop recording, so the recording ended after one set.

This track was from the last set of the second night. The band, The Roustabouts, consisted of Richard Arlen (bass, vocals), Dennis Mathis (steel) George Skinner (drums) and Clarence (guitar).

This song was part of the last set of the night, on August 25, 1967. The location was the "Arena Room" at the Jefferson Bowl, a bowling alley located in Culver City, CA (It no longer exists).

Clarence worked with the same basic band for several months - and I know they played at Nashville West, in El Monte, CA, with a slightly different lineup, in November, 1967.

Incidentally, Clarence was playing the sunburst Tele on this track - before any bender existed.

Bob
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - one error in my last post - the steel guitar player was Dennis Mathes, not Dennis Mathis - apparently two different players, the latter from San Antonio, Texas, the former from Arkansas.

My apologies...

Bob
weevus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Hi, Bob Reply with quote

Is there more tracks that could be posted from this show? Thanks......................Weevus.
MarkT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Honky Tonk cut is great. I think from the few songs we've covered, one can get and idea of how Clarence would play in the stlye. I'm not a huge blues fan, but the stlye is so important to music in general, I think it's worth a look at how a master like Clarence approached it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: