Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Greatist exhibition of guitar skill ever - CW Fillmore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: The Greatist exhibition of guitar skill ever - CW Fillmore Reply with quote

Just listened to this album again. This recording (Live at the Fillmore), in my opinion is greatest showing of guitar mastery ever recorded. Even the flubbs are perfection.

This record is proof I have no place even pretending to play the guitar and every reason I'm even trying.

You were the best ever Clarence!!!!
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I concur...it's pretty hard to pick a 'best of' Clarence CD but this one would be a great choice. I listened to this over and over and over when it first came out. Personally I think Clarence was best in this band lineup ...the one with John York on bass. Clarence's (electric) style was at it's peak right here...the perfect blend considering his bluegrass flatpicking background, pre-bender Tele (Nashville West & the Reasons bands) and then fully evolved country rock bender Tele playing.
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Yep I concur...it's pretty hard to pick a 'best of' Clarence CD but this one would be a great choice. I listened to this over and over and over when it first came out. Personally I think Clarence was best in this band lineup ...the one with John York on bass. Clarence's (electric) style was at it's peak right here...the perfect blend considering his bluegrass flatpicking background, pre-bender Tele (Nashville West & the Reasons bands) and then fully evolved country rock bender Tele playing.

Well said Brian. I would only add that it contains my favorite CW electric guitar tone as well.
patdaddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! Its my favorite too. I love to crank it up. His tone was clearer, twangier than his later stuff. While his playing stayed brilliant of course, i much prefer the Filmore sound to, say, the Royal Abert Hall sound. I'd really love if more high quality recordings like this came out on CD.
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other good live recordings from that era are Avalon Ballroom, Boston Tea Party
MarkT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Other good live recordings from that era are Avalon Ballroom, Boston Tea Party

Are any of these other live recordings available?
Silverface

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the best boot for just Clarence'splaying is the Palladium show; it's been through too many generations (we lost the original long ago) and recorded behind the PA...but right in front of Clarence, who was on fire. Tea Party is actually my least favorite.

New Jersey 1970 is also incredible and may have his best "fast"version of 8 miles high on it. American University 4-18-70 is cool as it has unusual tunes like You all look Alike on it plus a blistering Baby what you want me to do.

I like Fillmore but prefer the later stuff when he'd mastered the bender and didn't use it constantly. There's an incredible maturity of playing developed in just a 2-3 year period.

There are a couple of dozen boots floating around. Just gotta know who to...know... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: