Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Warford Key to Tonal Consistency

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverface

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: The Warford Key to Tonal Consistency Reply with quote

As many know, Bob has used an EH LPB-1 Power Booster (NOT the new stompbox, which is a different animal, but an early model...in fact EH's FIRST product...that plugs into the amp.).

Setup:

Tele (Doesn't hurt that he has Clarence's old white one with a carved-headstock Strat neck and some kind of almost nonexistent frets that have ALWAYS been almost nonexistent).

Guitar cable. He's mentioned having 2 or 3.

LPB-1 plugged into the amp

Amp is a Vibrolux Reverb modded by Red Rhodes, with master volume, some other tricks, voiced on the bright side and with 2x10" JBL's.

He has an Ibanez Tube Screamer for backup (his LPB doesn't have screws - it's held together with rubber bands for quick battery changes - every 12 years or so. Razz Razz Razz

He swears he has changed strings. Maybe more than once.

OK, I'm kidding Bob, who usually enjoys it - he has used EXACTLY the same rig since...jeeez Bob, what was it - 1969 or so? Whenever the first black block-letter LPB-1 was released would be a key date.

It's actually VERY cool that Bob uses that same setup, even today. Some players are convinced they can get "better" or find "their sound" by collecting and selling mass quantities of gear. Bob found out what worked, got a distinctive tone that was *his*, and never looked back. Absolute consistency over decades.

There's a lesson here, folks.

But Bob - please tell me you change your underwear!

Evil or Very Mad

And just for fun (for those who have never seen one), I present the LPB-1 (first version/later case - I have the initial release somewhere...black print and plain block letters...but this one is identical as far as components and the precision layout and soldering (snicker). I have collected about 5 of them in different colors! ALL sound the same; and the only things that go bad are batteries (and 12 years was not much of a stretch!) and the slide-switch, which is a $.89 part at Radio Shack. If you buy one, beware - you can rattle windows with a Champ and one of these dimed!

RKWilliams

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it just plugs right into the amp? I'm sure I know the answer but how do the newer ones sound in comparison?

Bill Hisle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Some players are convinced they can get "better" or find "their sound" by collecting and selling mass quantities of gear. "

Now that hurts Jim! ;^)

Most people get only one - either talent or gear. I seem to have chosen the latter...been through a lot of gear, never been happy. I wish you would have hit me in the head with this 2 by 4 about 15 or 20 years ago. I fear my lack of talent would have kept be from listening/hearing/comprehending anyway.

But I would agree that Bob is probably the smartest guy here (in a lot of regards). The best tone I've ever personally had was a...wait for it...a Tele into a Vibrolux. Yep

And in a blantant attempt to hijack this topic, it has been so enjoyable here to have so many at this forum share so much information, not only about Clarence, but about their own musical experiences. Bob is certainly at the top of that list.
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKWilliams wrote:
So it just plugs right into the amp? I'm sure I know the answer but how do the newer ones sound in comparison?

The circuit is so simple and basic. The new ones sound like the old ones...
rballister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got two--an old LPB2 (floor stompbox) and the nice one that Brian made some time ago (and I still don't sound like Bob---must be that talent thing)
Johnny Isaacs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the early and later versions of the LPB-1.

Bob rocks. My favorite tone/playing from him is on Herb Pederson's "Easy Ride." Love that song and playing!

Johnny Isaacs
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverface is almost correct - I used the old version LPB-1 (actually had several of them over the years) to the point where the last one I was using was literally held together with rubber bands. I still have it, but have put it into retirement, because, interestingly, a while back (2 or 3 years, maybe more - help, Brian!), Brian Friend came up with a MUCH better construction that combined the LPB-1 and the old Fender Blender (independently - there are two foot switches, one for the LPB-1, one for the Blender, and separate controls for each, as well). I bought one from him, and have used that exclusively since I got it - sturdier, far less noisy, but gets exactly the sound I have gotten used to over so many years.

Bob
Johnny Isaacs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's two of Brian's pedals he built for me. The one on top is like Bob's.

Johnny Isaacs
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob...so glad you like the pedal I made for you.. BTW that was about 6 years ago! You too Johnny...you have the one and only mini version of the LPBx-Blender Cool that was a challenge squeezing into that box...Don't open it! LOL Laughing
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Murr on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .
Warford playin' some licks on his bender at a previous jam ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5WoNvG7rjM
Silverface

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I look at that VR of Bob's I cringe...and then laugh thinking of conversations with Red. I probably learned more about hacking amps from Red than even Dan Torres knows....

Twisted Evil

Hey, in the early 70's those things were just "used amps" that nobody really wanted (except REAL players - funny how the market works). My BF Vibroverb was slightly tweaked by an LA tech named Roy Garneche...really good amp guy...who installed a huge pair of transformers (I think out of a V-4 )and put KT90's in it. Then Red and I did some more damage - there was no room left so we yanked the speaker and I ran it with a 2x15 EV cabinet that outweighed my car. I had a reputation for consistency too - for consistently blowing fuses in clubs around the South Bay.

Knowing the stuff we did to equipment back then (and how we wired things together with total disregard for little things like impedance...or safety) one of these days we'll have to open Bob's up so I can shoot pics of the chassis. Because I KNOW it will probably break every "rule" of the tube amp world. Except one.

Good tone.

Bob, I remember that rubber-banded LPB-1! Next time I see you I'll bring you one of my spares just for nostalgia. I'll even put screws in it.

They won't match, though.

Razz

Edited to add - the new floor model is somewhat like the original LPB-2, which was a pedal version. But, like all manufacturers, EH "cleaned up" the circuit, added stuff to lower the noise, used an actual circuit board, and made a completely different-sounding pedal.

Trivia dept - the one I'm trying to find is the rare "reverse" model LPB-1 - they actually sold a few configured like the Dan Armstrong effects that plugged into a guitar's output jack. That design was a dud (too bad, as the Armstrong effects are cool) as you can't plug them into a Tele with a jack cup, a Strat, or anything else without a flush-mount jack.

Maybe I'll just reverse one of mine and see what happens. Probably a lot of noise with other pedals behind it!
chriscallans

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: bob Reply with quote

i can remember using bob on 3 songs, in one or 2 sessions in claremont.
he had this device, or one like it, and we put his vibrolux in a booth, and he stood outside the booth, with the vibrolux cranked up god knows how much, but a lot, and just ripped!...one or 2 takes and he was done.
such professionalism...was new to me back then...but those moments changed life, for me anyway.
I later played at a place in california, with his friend jp stoop, a previous record release with bob on the track, and i was the main singer, acoustic player etc, and when bob played with us, i being so inexperienced, leaned over to paul and said, can you have him turn it down so i can hear the monitors etc...? ha.
acoustic player/singers are such a different breed than lead guitar players, when it comes to stage volume etc.
but he was truly great...and made us sound better.
an old friend named mitch, would remember those nights.
thanks bob for helping us out.
ask him how he 'crosses licks' sometime.
interesting.
c.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: