Forum Index

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost Clarence White Tele
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Clarence White
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Raybob



Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 98
Location: Kyburz, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really doesn't make sense is the owner can't recall where he met Clarence or what studio he supposedly bought the guitar from. If anyone met Clarence in person and heard him play, they would at least recall where it was they met him. Another thing that doesn't make sense is the price. Even then, a plain used Tele would be at least $200. Clarence wasn't hurting for money at that time after 2 years touring with the Byrds.

Clarence did have a red tele but it was from the 50s. I found some info on his guitars http://www.burritobrother.com/gear.htm.

"Clarence's first electric guitar seems to have been a red 50's Telecaster with a maple neck. It can be seen in early photos of The Reasons, a band that became known as Nashville West. This Tele was sold to him in early 1965 by James Burton, who helped Clarence get started playing electric guitar.

Later, a white '53 Telecaster became his main guitar and Clarence used it on such recordings as "Sweetheart of the Rodeo". He traded this Tele to Bob Warford for a Noble acoustic, which became his primary flattop until a few months before his death. Gene Parsons installed the prototype Parsons/White String Bender on Clarence's other Telecaster. It was a 1956 Tele (neck plate serial number 12350) with a two tone sunburst body, a maple neck and a white pickguard. It is first pictured on the CD re-release of the Nashville West album. For this first bender, Gene used parts from a Fender 800 pedal steel that he obtained from Sneaky Pete Kleinow as well as pieces that he machined himself. This instrument became Clarence's primary electric and he used it until his death in July, 1973. It is now owned by Marty Stuart."

Another thing that doesn't make sense is that the original design didn't use a rotating mechanism but a finger style like the P/G, not rotating like the later, refined Parons design.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Brian



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Posts: 1361
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raybob wrote:

Clarence did have a red tele but it was from the 50s. I found some info on his guitars http://www.burritobrother.com/gear.htm.

"Clarence's first electric guitar seems to have been a red 50's Telecaster with a maple neck. It can be seen in early photos of The Reasons, a band that became known as Nashville West. This Tele was sold to him in early 1965 by James Burton, who helped Clarence get started playing electric guitar.


We've done quite a bit on online guitar detective work on this forum, and one thing we have to continually be mindful of repeating something that is written down or quoted as being truth without have a credible source.

No to toot own own (Clarence White forum) horn, but I've seen things written on the web that have been taken from this forum and or quoted out of context or incorrectly..

For instance...the quote above "Clarence's first electric guitar seems to have been a red 50's Telecaster

There's a couple things wrong with that statement and/or misleading. First Clarence first electric was NOT a Tele. He can be seen pictured in color as a child playing his early gold top Gibson Les Paul on stage (for instance). Second....the statement uses the word "seems"...dubious at best,,,,"seems" based on what? We discussed (on this forum) a certain Black and White photo of Clarence posing with Nashville West with a Tele that could have been red, but it was far from definitive since it was black and white photo..... and the bit about it being sold to him by James Burton is complete conjecture unless it was confirmed by James Burton himself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tony Trout



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Posts: 104
Location: Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James still has his original 1952 (1953) red telecaster. It can be seen on "The Legendary Guitar Of James Burton"


Quote:
What really doesn't make sense is the owner can't recall where he met Clarence or what studio he supposedly bought the guitar from. If anyone met Clarence in person and heard him play, they would at least recall where it was they met him. Another thing that doesn't make sense is the price. Even then, a plain used Tele would be at least $200. Clarence wasn't hurting for money at that time after 2 years touring with the Byrds.

Clarence did have a red tele but it was from the 50s. I found some info on his guitars http://www.burritobrother.com/gear.htm.

"Clarence's first electric guitar seems to have been a red 50's Telecaster with a maple neck. It can be seen in early photos of The Reasons, a band that became known as Nashville West. This Tele was sold to him in early 1965 by James Burton, who helped Clarence get started playing electric guitar.

Later, a white '53 Telecaster became his main guitar and Clarence used it on such recordings as "Sweetheart of the Rodeo". He traded this Tele to Bob Warford for a Noble acoustic, which became his primary flattop until a few months before his death. Gene Parsons installed the prototype Parsons/White String Bender on Clarence's other Telecaster. It was a 1956 Tele (neck plate serial number 12350) with a two tone sunburst body, a maple neck and a white pickguard. It is first pictured on the CD re-release of the Nashville West album. For this first bender, Gene used parts from a Fender 800 pedal steel that he obtained from Sneaky Pete Kleinow as well as pieces that he machined himself. This instrument became Clarence's primary electric and he used it until his death in July, 1973. It is now owned by Marty Stuart."

Another thing that doesn't make sense is that the original design didn't use a rotating mechanism but a finger style like the P/G, not rotating like the later, refined Parsons design.



Yeah, you would figure that if this guy knew or saw Clarence play, then he would definitely know that the guitar was his.

I, still to this day, will never, ever, ever forget the moment I strapped "Clarence" around my shoulders for the first time - it's a feeling that I won't forget as long as I live - and it's all thanks to Marty Stuart and his willingness to keep the memory of Clarence alive through that holy grail of a guitar.

[/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Silverface



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Posts: 324
Location: Hermosa Beach CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, sorry I'm late to the party - been having some health issues all summer so I've been MIA.

Two words.

Bull
S**t

No other explanation necessary, really...except that having met Clarence - only one time, but for enough time that I got the lowdown on the guitar, how many benders he thought were around and where to get one, some description of a couple playing positions, how Red's electronics worked (confirming what Red had told me) and ONE other thing he had screwed around with one day, which was trying to rig a lever on the back to drop the "A" string...which he figured would be too hard to work with, hence the Keith tuner on the "A".

He also said he had ONLY the well-known sunburst, but that a guy was making him a body with a bender and was the same guy making the one I could get at Westwood Music...which, I found out later, were made by Dave.

This look a little bit like Dave's earliest experiments - but Dave is a Master Machinist, an absolute perfectionist and...well....hmmm...a bit anal-retentive (grin).

(man am I gonna hear about THAT one...)

If he ever made something like THAT it was a compete out-of-body experience and he would have destroyed ALL evidence upon coming back to reality.

It's not an Evans.

It's not a Parsons.

It's not a Parsons-White.

It IS a POS.

Next -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tony Trout



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Posts: 104
Location: Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverface wrote:
Hey guys, sorry I'm late to the party - been having some health issues all summer so I've been MIA.

Two words.

Bull
S**t

No other explanation necessary, really...except that having met Clarence - only one time, but for enough time that I got the lowdown on the guitar, how many benders he thought were around and where to get one, some description of a couple playing positions, how Red's electronics worked (confirming what Red had told me) and ONE other thing he had screwed around with one day, which was trying to rig a lever on the back to drop the "A" string...which he figured would be too hard to work with, hence the Keith tuner on the "A".

He also said he had ONLY the well-known sunburst, but that a guy was making him a body with a bender and was the same guy making the one I could get at Westwood Music...which, I found out later, were made by Dave.

This look a little bit like Dave's earliest experiments - but Dave is a Master Machinist, an absolute perfectionist and...well....hmmm...a bit anal-retentive (grin).

(man am I gonna hear about THAT one...)

If he ever made something like THAT it was a compete out-of-body experience and he would have destroyed ALL evidence upon coming back to reality.

It's not an Evans.

It's not a Parsons.

It's not a Parsons-White.

It IS a POS.

Next -




You summed it up perfectly, Jim.

BTW, I hope your health gets better, bro.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Savalas



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Posts: 268
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Auction ends in 18hrs.. what do you reckon it'll go for? As a '68 tele do you guys think the intrinsic value has been damaged by the modifications overall? I guess its still quite an interesting relic from the 60's.. just hope no one is bidding for it under any false illusions...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Raybob



Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 98
Location: Kyburz, CA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savalas wrote:
So the Auction ends in 18hrs.. what do you reckon it'll go for? As a '68 tele do you guys think the intrinsic value has been damaged by the modifications overall? I guess its still quite an interesting relic from the 60's.. just hope no one is bidding for it under any false illusions...


With current price of $1,225.00, I would say many are under big false illusions! Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dogbear



Joined: 23 Jun 2007
Posts: 275
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Thomas Tusser (1557):

Quote:
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave Evans



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 18
Location: Richmond, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! That's a lot of money for that thing! I have some 2x4's in the shop....a picture of Clarence....Photoshop....a case of beer....huumm?!! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Posts: 1361
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't hit the hidden reserve price so no one was unfortunate enough to 'win' it Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Silverface



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Posts: 324
Location: Hermosa Beach CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God it didn't hit the reserve.

I've seen too many "new" collectors jump on suspicious items and pay incredible amounts of money, only to find the info cannot be confirmed, the instrument was a "partscaster" or (this is common) the "1956 Fender Pedal Steel - RARE!" they paid $2k for was not possible (since they didn't start making them until late '57 - but used '56 1-meg pots in them, mixed with '59's, for around 20 years!).

I guess I can appreciate the seller coming on here and posting what appears to be a very sincere message, but he should have done FAR more research...or simply ASKED the people on this board about it.

out-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rick Towne



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Posts: 201

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Looks like it's back... Reply with quote

Even I can tell it's bogus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
genes_tach



Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Posts: 38
Location: in the cosmos over the UK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its listed again folks. $255 at the mo Rolling Eyes


http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLARENCE-WHITES-1968-FENDER-TELE-B-BENDER-PROTOTYPE-/140480889705?pt=Guitar&hash=item20b5504369
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bakerbyrd



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Posts: 98
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "authenticity" statement refers to Byrds drummer, Bart Haney. Huh??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogbear



Joined: 23 Jun 2007
Posts: 275
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have contacted Gene Parsons who reports that he is sure the prototype wasn't his design and he wasn't sure of it's orgin. Other early bender pioneers, Bob Warford and Dave Evans, have also weighed in that they weren't aware of this instrument at the forum www.bbenderguitars.com where there has been some spirited discussion regarding this guitar.


So all the guys that played with him and knew him best know nothing about it.......

Quote:
Additional sworn statements by Ms. Lois Haney, wife of Byrds drummer Bart Haney affirm that she directly witnessed this transaction between our client Lee and Clarence White in the early 1970s.


Wife of Byrd's drummer ?????????

At $511.........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group