Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost Clarence White Tele
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Clarence White
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denp986

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Lost Clarence White Tele Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARENCE-WHITES-1968-FENDER-TELE-B-BENDER-PROTOTYPE-/140451577984?pt=Guitar&hash=item20b3910080

This has to be B.S., eh? Anyone remember this one??
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lost Clarence White Tele Reply with quote

denp986 wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARENCE-WHITES-1968-FENDER-TELE-B-BENDER-PROTOTYPE-/140451577984?pt=Guitar&hash=item20b3910080

This has to be B.S., eh? Anyone remember this one??

Total BS!!! Rolling Eyes
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Brian....this is total B.S.! That's got to be the ugliest bender I have ever seen in my life!!

If Clarence were still alive (wishful thinking here), I'm sure that both he and Gene Parsons would be highly PO'd about this auction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Savalas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not be too quick to judge?.. look forward to hearing what Bob Warford has to say on the matter as it appears that the seller is in the process of attempting to contact him to see if any further light can be shed.. If what the guy on the video below says is true, could it be that Clarence actually had a go at making a bender before approaching Gene with the idea? Fascinating stuff.. i'd love it to be true but.. Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw37NfbxLjk
Dogbear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see.... 40 + years and no mention from anyone of another guitar. Gene doesn't remember ever seeing or hearing about it. No one ever saw Clarence with it. Bob Warford has never mentioned another guitar in all his recollections here. All of a sudden it's available for sale with a story that no one can verify......... Do I smell something.....oh yeah.... B.S.
raoul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Gene Parsons and he has no memory of Clarence having this guitar. He had intimate knowledge of Clarences instruments and he never saw this guitar with or without the makeshift StringBender. He does remember someone building a "bicycle hub Bender" like this in the 70s.
Savalas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I asked Gene Parsons and he has no memory of Clarence having this guitar

I think that's good enough for me.. Gene would surely remember something about this guitar and technically could have given Clarence credit for the overall invention of the device if he had built a prototype of his own.. it really just doesn't add up does it. It's a little sad to see the guy on the youtube video interview stating things that are clearly untrue if this is the case, and if this is an 'elaboration' on the truth the guitar is being sold under false pretences.. I hope more information comes to light.
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has contacted me about this, although the e-Bay page says they are trying to. Personally, I don't believe the claim at all. Here's why:

As I have pointed out many times in the past, when I recorded Clarence in July, 1967, at the time that he was helping me get involved in electric guitar, he was playing the sunburst Tele that was later fitted with the first bender, and is now owned by Marty Stuart.

By November, 1967, Clarence was playing the white Tele that I now own, and which he played on the Sweetheart of the Rodeo album. My understanding at the time was that Gene was working on the bender mechanism, and had the sunburst guitar at that time - that would suggest that the creation of the Parsons bender on the sunburst Tele was already in progress by November 1967.

The guitar pictured is, obviously, one that was not even built until 1968. I never heard Clarence say that he had made any attempt on his own to build a bender on any guitar. On the other hand, Gene was an accomplished machinist at the time, and it was logical that he would be the one doing the design work.

If Gene had said that he was aware of this "prototype", I'd have a completely different view, but I can't see any room in the time frame for this particular device to have any place, and the design seems closer to the later designs (after the decision had been made to focus on the b string alone), in that it is rotary, rather than using the much more complex Fender steel guitar fingers that Gene used (and that I used, since my guitar was based on the design that Clarence and Gene disclosed to me).

Interesting claim, and I'll be interested in any more info that comes out.

Bob
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Evans made some benders that sort of looked like that but he never mentioned anything like that one being made for Clarence.. He said he did build Clarence an early version of his familiar bender but burnt it in the fireplace after Clarence passed away..

BTW the quality of that installation..looks very amateurish. The hub actually looks like a bicycle hub... No way this real..

http://www.pullstringguitar.com/gallery.php
rob ober

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Clarence White's Prototype Bender on eBay......... Reply with quote

Hi Guys and just wanted to identify myself as Rob Ober from GuitarDesires here in Boulder - the fellow who's brokering the Clarence White prototype guitar on eBay. Glad to connect at constantsmiler@aol.com or 720-209-9935.

And first to say that we're a reputable guitar dealership here in Boulder with significant experience with vintage guitars and gear and top standing in the online guitar community. We stand behind our guitars and do the very best we can to authenticate, properly describe, and give the best customer service to our consignors and buyers.

This instrument is currently in my possession. Both it and GuitarDesires are for real and weíre not fly-by-night types nor trying to do anything but properly market this historic instrument for our client and for the broader community of folks interested in Clarence White and the bender guitar.

If you've taken the time to closely examine the YouTube deposition and detailed description and photos in the GuitarDesires eBay listing, you can understand some of the difficulty we've faced in properly putting this guitar up for sale.

The first thing that struck me with this whole affair was the utter sincerity and believability of our client Lee. I think it comes through pretty strong on the video. This humble gentleman approached us with the instrument and a genuine curiosity of what it might be worth on the market and wanting to tell his story. He really didnít know much if anything about Gene Parsons, Bob Wolford, or Dave Evans nor anyone associated with early accounts of the bender. In short, I found him compelling and believable.

And although there is a fairly well defined known history and bunch of folks who have stated their versions of the facts surrounding the inception of the bender device - there are, in fact, several different camps who were making versions back in the timeframe involved and rumors of others possibly out there as well.

It was and is my feeling that additional accurate, but heretofore unknown, historical information on this subject is important and worthy of consideration. Without Clarence here to tell, it has been my hope to involve the greater community in discussion about this instrument and our clientís claims of itís orgin.

Lee and I are continuing to try and contact other credible and corroborating witnesses and Iíll continue to report that stuff here, on the ebay listing, and on YouTube. I welcome any of your questions and will do my best to convey them to Lee and others and get the answers posted. I give everyone my solemn promise that if I have any doubts on the authenticity of the instrument or the veracity of my client, the guitar will be removed from the market instantly with my apologies Ė Post Haste!

And on two stated points so far in this forum Ė First, although the finish has been stripped, the neck pocket and control cavity have some pretty reddish finish remnants that are consistent with the original finish on the body being Sunburst. And, secondly, itís also the case that it wouldnít have taken a machine shop nor a gifted machinist to have created the very basic primitive bender device seen here. Part of itís convincingness to me is in the very raw and rough fabrication that could have made this in most garages back in the late 1960s with a little vision and some basic tools!

Best,

Rob Ober
GuitarDesires
September 13, 2010
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dogbear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on finding someone to verify your claim on the alleged prototype, since there are more folks on this forum who knew Clarence, worked with him, and played with him than anywhere else. There are also more pioneers of early bender design who also belong and post on this forum than anywhere else. If Gene Parsons and Bob Warford don't know anything about this guitar and you know their history with Clarence, it's very doubtful that this is the real thing.
Dave Evans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I know I did an assortment of drugs back in the day, but none would have caused me to build something like that.....at least I don't think so....no, I'm sure I didn't!!!!
rballister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like all the important guys have weighed in on this one --- with the possible exception of Roland. Just guessing he would have mentioned something this radical to his brother. The whole thing looks post Gene's design. As is some one with some small amount of mechanical aptitude had a rough idea how Gene's bender worked but didn't know everything. The only thing that's interesting in the dealer's post is "reddish." I dimly remember a discussion on the forum about a picture of Clarence in one of his pre-Byrds country bands holding a tele that "appeared" to be red (not Bob's white one or the sunburst---but B&W pics can be deceiving). I don't think anyone was able to trace that instrument.
john bodle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall reading in an article somewhere that James Burton sold him a red Tele and I wondered if it was his 1st tele. Roland would probably know something about that instrument since the Kentucky Colonels did some electric sets. But, Did Clarence know James before James saw one of those electric Kentucky Colonels sets and then started to encourage Clarence to do more electric and then sold him a guitar? I asked Larry Rice one time when the 1st time he saw Clarence play an electric and he said it was at a party in 1964- I didn't ask what kind of guitar, But I'll bet that Clarence may have had his Les Paul in his arsenal. Either way this Tele that Lee is selling dates from 1968 so we can be fairly certain that it is not the "red Tele. I'm waiting for the bicycle that became part of the mechanism to wind up on E bay and go through the same authentication process before I bid! Really I think this has gone too far and bottom line Your homework on any process having to do with Clarence and his guitars should start with Gene, Bob, Roland and others with far more intimate and personal knowledge,they deserve to be in the loop 1st! period. Anyone else strikes me as suspect.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guitar has no historical evidence that can be backed by anyone with credibility or provenance to Clarence. That being said any story true or otherwise are equally possible making this guitar worth little more than was paid for it in 1970. Say Clarence did sell this person this guitar...It could have been 'gift' from an inebriated neighbor or fan.. You know..the kind of gifts that you cringe upon receiving but too polite to say no thanks Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: