Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarence had an E-Bender?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rballister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Clarence had an E-Bender? Reply with quote

Had a little time to kill so I read the Fretboard Journal article about Gene while hanging out in Barnes & Noble. Aside from the writer's timeline being a little off about the bender, Gene is quoted as saying he put an arm actuated E-bender on Clarence's guitar which Clarence decided he didn't like---so he then took it off. It sounded a little bit like the Marty device. This is the absolute first time I've heard about this---anyone else know about it? I would imagine there would be some residual evidence of that installation somewhere on the guitar.
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post this a couple weeks ago, but it slipped my mind.

I found it interesting how much flack Marty takes for modding this guitar when he got it...but, it was clearly an ever-evolving test bed when CW had it.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that too. I guess if it happened it must have been really early since there's no pix of it. Other errors 1965 vs 1967-68. El Cajon is also wrong. Nashville West was in El Monte. Can't believe everything you read I guess.
patdaddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too read that, and was supprised to see about the E bender. Too bad no photos exist of it.
john bodle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that there was an arm actuated bender initially and it seems like it left a hole in the guitar above the chicken sticker
jmraia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: E Bender Reply with quote

Did Marty add the plunger between the bridge and the controls as a part of his E Bender, or was that a part of Gene's original design? Also, does Marty raise or lower the E string? (Typically the E strings on the pedal steel are set up to be raised and lowered a half step by knee levers.)

Mike R
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: E Bender Reply with quote

jmraia wrote:
Did Marty add the plunger between the bridge and the controls as a part of his E Bender, or was that a part of Gene's original design? Also, does Marty raise or lower the E string? (Typically the E strings on the pedal steel are set up to be raised and lowered a half step by knee levers.)

Mike R

Mike,

In watching an old episode of the "Marty Party" television show where he's using the "E" bender during, "Burn Me Down", the "E" string can supposedly bend only a half-step. Now, whether up or down, I don't know. Marty and Dwayne Marrs of Marr's Guitars in Nashville added the "E" bender device, I believe. The "E" bender (the way Marty has it) wasn't any part of Gene's orginal design.

Take Care,
Tony Trout

Matt wrote:
I found it interesting how much flack Marty takes for modding this guitar when he got it...but, it was clearly an ever-evolving test bed when CW had it.

I'm going to get shot for this but, modding or not, I still think it's one hell of a guitar and I'm proud of Marty for keeping Clarence's memory alive by using it and letting us hardcore guitar nuts (no offense intended) play it when asked about it.

And it was, IIRC, a non-working/non-functioning guitar when Marty bought it, I believe...so...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
unbridled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this interview:

http://www.martystuart.com/ZArt-GuitarPlayer-11-2010.htm

Ralph Mooney added the E bender and it lowers it a 1/2 step.
bossaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is so cool:

Quote:
I could not believe what had happened to me, but I saw it as a responsibility. When I played Saturday Night Live with Johnny Cash, I went to Manny’s in New York and bought it a leather gig bag. Then I went to American Airlines and got that guitar an AAdvantage number. I bought seats for it so I wouldn’t have to stick it under the plane. That guitar has a lot of miles.

so is this:

Quote:
I was playing with Ralph Mooney at his house one night, just steel and guitar. He played this lick and I said, ‘I wish my guitar could play that.’ He said, ‘It will—bring it out to my garage.’ Ralph took the E string and put on this little palm pedal that looks like a trumpet valve. If you mash it down it lowers the E string a half-step. It is in the wood down by the bridge pickup. I wouldn’t have let anybody but Ralph Mooney do that.

Clarence would approve.
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew that there was actually an e-bender made, but by the time (as best I can recall, somewhere around mid-to-late 1968) Clarence and Gene gave me the details so I could make (or have someone make) the second b-bender, it was clear that they had decided that setting up the device with an e-string option was not useful - in the first (Clarence's) version, the strings that could be actuated (sharping or flatting) were the first through the fourth. When I (actually, mainly my dad) set up my b-bender, we used the same Fender pedal steel parts that Gene and Clarence had used, but set it up for the 2nd through the 5th strings - by that time, I had been told by either/both Gene and/or Clarence (wish I could be more accurate, but it was many years ago) that the mechanism wasn't particularly useful on the first string, which was the primary reason for the different string choices we made.

Of course, for me, at least, and for Clarence, apparently, the b-string was the only one that turned out to be particularly useful for that mechanism.
Silverface

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I talked to Clarence and we got on the bender subject he mentioned something about an arm that was on the back and "bent" another string, but not when it was installed and subsequently removed. I thought he said something about the "A" string, but as he said it was removed rather quickly I didn't pay a lot of attention to it and have never brought it up as it (I thought) was never actually used.

Although, thinking about the whole lever/other string idea the A might have made sense considering he had a Keith tuner on the A for quite a while. Maybe he used the tuner to drop the string a whole step and the lever to pull it back up while playing, like the B/A string double bend (with the A dropped to G with the tuner for most of the song and pulled up to G along with the open B->C# at the end of the bridge during the Palladium boot of Chestnut Mare). Once I figured that one out after I moved my lower Keith (actually Schaller) tuner from the E to the A string I try to use it wherever it'll fit a song nicely.

One thing for sure - I did find the D-tuner to be much more useful on the 5th string than on the 6th.

Anyway, just a random thought. A lever of some sort would have made similar double bends possible that are physically *impossible*.
Raybob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the changer close, but early pedal steel changers could only raise the pitch of a string, not lower it. Later designs had pulls that could lower strings.

I've been playing pedal steel since '77, b benders off and on since '80s. I don't have it, but I can see where a half-step lower bend, on high E string could work real well for lots of things, with B string bending up 1 step.

Guess only Brian, Silverface, Bob Warford, or Gene Parsons would know if there are two sets of pullers on each string of that changer or just one. If there are two on each, one is for lowering. Then 1/2 step lower, on any string would probably be very easily rigged.
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john bodle wrote:
I read that there was an arm actuated bender initially and it seems like it left a hole in the guitar above the chicken sticker

You see that hole that is actually above the Frankfurt sticker on the guitar, that is (in fact) where Gene attempted to install an arm actuated bender.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Silverface

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of old reply:

Quote:
I haven't seen the changer close, but early pedal steel changers could only raise the pitch of a string, not lower it. Later designs had pulls that could lower strings.

That's incorrect. From day one the Fender 400 and 1000 could raise AND lower each string

What it could NOT do was raise or lower to more than one NOTE per string. In other words, you could raise to one note, lower to another - but not raise to two different notes (or lower to two different ones).

The scissor changer is what allows both raises and lowers on the same string. Later, Sneaky Pete (and others) figured out workarounds to achieve double-changes anywhere. iThe later 800 and 2000 10 string models could do double raises and single lowers.

Other early steels like Gibsons could also handle both raises and lowers on the same string.

As far as the original topic - Marty had Ralph Mooney add the E bender to the "Clarence" guitar, later saying it was a horrible mistake! Clarence was long gone by the time it was done.
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverface wrote:

As far as the original topic - Marty had Ralph Mooney add the E bender to the "Clarence" guitar, later saying it was a horrible mistake! Clarence was long gone by the time it was done.

Then, let me ask this: If he's so horrified by it, isn't there a way he could remove the E-bender and put the guitar back like it was when Clarence had it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: