Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Marty Stuart CD with Clarence tribute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Isaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: New Marty Stuart CD with Clarence tribute Reply with quote

http://www.sugarhillrecords.com/martystuart/

Check out the video and you can hear Marty's tribute to Clarence titled Hummingbyrd. It's pretty cool!

YMMV,
Johnny Isaacs
Steve-o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, very very cool- a real classy tribute! Thanks a lot, Johnnie.
rickhouston

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: marty link, video too Reply with quote

the song is cool, he is a great player, but also be sure to click the video preview, he talks a little about each song, finally discusses Clarence, the guitar, the fans, the connection. not long, but definitely a nice homage.

his nashville style is a nice transition from Clarence's invented style. Marty Stuart is definitely a very great picker and star, a pretty good place for THE GUITAR to end up.
denp986

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the "heads up" on this one. "Hummingbyrd" is very cool! It's about time that Marty puts down something like that.

It's more Marty than Clarence, but it is a great tribute. I pre-ordered the CD.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: New Marty Stuart CD with Clarence tribute Reply with quote

Johnny Isaacs wrote:
http://www.sugarhillrecords.com/martystuart/

Check out the video and you can hear Marty's tribute to Clarence titled Hummingbyrd. It's pretty cool!

YMMV,
Johnny Isaacs

Yep...really cool!
Dogbear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my favorite artist but this one gets a big thumbs up............. Great to hear Clarence's teles great tone....
Mike Beck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty played this piece on my bender...said it was a little bit Nashville West and a little bit Last train To Clarksville...i dig his Clarence tag on the outro!! Smile
Dogbear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, so the recording on the album is your bender or Marty just played this for you on your bender....... Cause I have to tell you the tone on that recording is really, really good.....
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy, y'all! Long time, no "see"! Why? Well, one of the reasons is that I've been battling health problems but another reason is:

I'M GETTING MARRIED ON MAY 21, 2011!!

I got this CD yesterday and "HummingByrd" and "Country Boy Rock & Roll" are definitely my two very favorite cuts on the album.

Dogbear: I believe that Mike Beck is saying that Marty played "HummngByrd" on his (Mike's) guitar at some point before going into the studio to record it because there's only a picture of "Clarence" in the insert of the CD. As far as I know, Marty used "Clarence" on that recording and on "Country Boy Rock & Roll" which I never thought I'd see on CD but I'm so thankful that he finally recorded it after me first hearing/seeing it on "The Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rballister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like Marty's guitar. Has Marty every said EXACTLY what pickups those are? Whether he put something else in at the time he bought Clarence's intstrument (non functional at the time) or whether he fixed up what was in there? ( And congratulations Tony, ya got almost 9 months to back out Very Happy )
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rballister wrote:
It does sound like Marty's guitar. Has Marty every said EXACTLY what pickups those are? Whether he put something else in at the time he bought Clarence's intstrument (non functional at the time) or whether he fixed up what was in there? ( And congratulations Tony, ya got almost 9 months to back out Very Happy )

Rballister,

It's definitely "Clarence" that he's playing....there's NO mistaking that tone he gets.

(And, not, I'm not backing out of this one. This is my first marriage and I know that it was meant to last. I appreciate the kind thoughts. I just wish I knew how to post a picture of her and I on here....it won't even let me post a link to my FaceBook page on here. Sad )

Last edited by Tony Trout on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rballister wrote:
It does sound like Marty's guitar. Has Marty every said EXACTLY what pickups those are? Whether he put something else in at the time he bought Clarence's instrument (non functional at the time) or whether he fixed up what was in there? ( And congratulations Tony, ya got almost 9 months to back out Very Happy )

Rballister,

It's definitely "Clarence" that he's playing....there's no mistaking that tone he gets. The last (and only time) that I spoke with Marty before opening two shows for him in 2008 about the pickups, he said that he hadn't changed a thing on the guitar except for the strings and that stupid/quirky E-Bender - even the dust is still there on the guitar -LOL - he uses D'Addario strings - not sure which gauge he uses, though. That article that I posted about opening the show should still (hopefully) be around here on the boards somewhere...I hope....

This CD, especially the tunes "HummingByrd" tribute and "Country Boy Rock & Roll" (which is one song that I thought I'd never see on CD) is quickly becoming one of my very, very favorite CDs.

I just wish that there was a way to get a message to Marty himself about how much music has helped me through some rough times and given me inspiration.

Does anyone know of how to get in touch with him other than just "getting lucky" and getting open a show for him and getting to play "Clarence"?

(And, no, I'm definitely not backing out of marrying this beautiful and Godly lady - this is literally a dream come true for me and it's something that I prayed long and hard for for a long time. This is my first marriage but I know that it was meant to last. I appreciate the kind thoughts. I just wish I knew how to post a picture of her and I on here....it won't even let me post a link to my FaceBook page on here. Can anyone help?? Sad )

If anyone wants to look me up on FaceBook, my name is Tony Trout and there is a picture of me with my fiance' which was taken a few months ago down at the place where w used to gig on the weekends.

[/i]
rballister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I tried to find a way to get through to Marty. This was well before he was interviewed about his instrument. I got through to the person who ran his fan club at the time who told me that Marty was a bit computer challenged. (long time ago, so who knows these days). Never knew if my questions got through but that's probably your best bet. He may be aware of this forum but you may recall some very strong opinions were vented here at the time. Anyway, I'm just pleased that he's someone who actually plays the instrument as opposed to a collector who would just hang it on a wall.
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rballister wrote:
Many years ago I tried to find a way to get through to Marty. This was well before he was interviewed about his instrument. I got through to the person who ran his fan club at the time who told me that Marty was a bit computer challenged. (long time ago, so who knows these days). Never knew if my questions got through but that's probably your best bet. He may be aware of this forum but you may recall some very strong opinions were vented here at the time. Anyway, I'm just pleased that he's someone who actually plays the instrument as opposed to a collector who would just hang it on a wall.

Marty is a wee bit computer challenged but if you will take a look at my FaceBook page, you will see pictures of me with "Clarence" when we opened two shows for Marty. Marty, God bless him, took those photos himself. My mother told him, 'You have literally made his dream come true!' and Marty graciously said, "I'm happy to do it.'.

Marty will always and forever hold a special place in my heart because of that night that we opened two shows for him. The awesome Kenny Vaughn came out and gave me some very good advice about trying different guitar licks and not getting "stale" as far as a player. I'll be forever indebted to Marty and Kenny and Paul and Harry for their kindness in taking time to talk to me.

When Marty was still with MCA records, I actually sent a tape of my singing and playing to Marty's then-manger, Bonnie Garner, and she promptly sent the tape back and said that they weren't looking for any other artists for their roster.

Whatever happened to the first guy that played bass for Marty in "The Fabulous Superlatives" before Paul Martin came along? Also, whatever happened to Larry Marrs and the former members of the "Rock & Roll Cowboys"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Pickers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: