Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barenberg Clarence Book Gone Digital
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoundAsEver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Barenberg Clarence Book Gone Digital Reply with quote

Just saw that Russ Barenberg has made his long out of print book of tabs of Clarence available for for sale/download on his website.

http://www.russbarenberg.com/digstore.cfm
freddairy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wanted this book for a long time. How are accurate are the tabs?
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not accurate. I'd look into Roland's stuff.
freddairy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I got the Roland book and see some songs on the Barenberg book are different. I really want to get I'm A Pilgrim down.
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freddairy wrote:
Thanks. I got the Roland book and see some songs on the Barenberg book are different. I really want to get I'm A Pilgrim down.

The best way to do that is to purchase the Amazing Slow Downer and learn to transcribe it yourself...seriously it's the best way to learn since you'll be learning it directly from Clarence Cool
Murr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that real-time is best, especially for capturing the essence of a style.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murr wrote:
I feel that real-time is best, especially for capturing the essence of a style.

The idea of the Slow Downer is that you can slow down and isolate and loop on a specific phrase to figure the exact notes that are being played and you gradually speed it up as you get better at playing it and as you speed it up and start removing the loops you are playing it in real time...and anything that you missed while slowed down or looped you correct for as it's played in real time. Thats what works for me... It's nice to have TAB books but I learn alot more the way I described above..
Murr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, rote learning ..the concept has been around since record players. It has many shortcomings though.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murr wrote:
Right, rote learning ..the concept has been around since record players. It has many shortcomings though.

Yes I agree ... But it is only limiting if you stop there. The mechanical part of learning by rote helps your muscle memory and coordination. Licks are learned and become part of your musical vocabulary but also allows you to create variations of your own. Not to mention once you learn what someone played you can analyze it musically to understand why it works which one of the keys to creating your own musical ideas. Anyone who has ever slowed down a turn table or tape machine to figure out a guitar part will be in 7th heaven with the Amazing Slow Downer. I wouldn't have learned a fraction of what I know now without it , Including all those Clarence tabs I transcribed way back in 2001-2002 etc
Murr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it does any of those things. Plus, why slow it down? ..I like to hear and play it normal.
Don Miller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I gotta take it slow..neither my brain nor my fingers can go that fast. Seriously, slowing it down helps work out the specific licks, the muscle memory and coordination part...but to get the feel of the lick, I need to do it at speed....and alot of licks will have a different feel when slowed down.

I'm entirely self taught...in fact long streches where I didnt play with anyone else...so I aquired alot of bad habits....and end up playing alot of "default" licks...and Ive been sort of going back to the basics any trying to exorcise some bad habits...and pick up some variations on the stock licks ....and my basic skill level and the state of the muscle memory-coordination is such that I gotta start slow and then speed up..Im also coming off a strech where I played about 2 hours in the last month so I'm rustier than on old steel gate...

So...youre both right...
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who like to slow down the music to learn it, don't feel too bad - Clarence and I spent 3 days (and nights) learning a particular Django Reinhardt solo by slowing down the reel-to-reel tape recorder from 7-1/2 inches/second to 3-3/4 inches/second and playing short passages time after time - sometimes there is just no other way to get all the notes and nuances.

Of course, we were never able to actually play the darn thing at Django's original speed, but that wasn't the fault of the tape recorder.

Bob
330rick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think it does any of those things. Plus, why slow it down? ..I like to hear and play it normal.

Murr,
I've heard your playing and you are very good! I think a lot of us do not have the ability to hear Clarence's style in real time(as you do) and make any sense out of it.I totally agree with Brian and Bob and I would have never been able to figure out any of Clarence's licks without being able to slow them down first with my tascam guitar trainer.I can't remember how many hours I spent looping and playing back mental revenge off of nashville west and still only grasped a certain portion of it.It is true that once you learn the part you must gradually speed it up or you never get used to playing at the speed Clarence did.Just my 2 cents.
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original topic is about TAB. TAB is just another tool and some tools are better than others.. Including some TAB better than others. TAB is one persons educated guess at documenting what was on anothers' recording. The best TAB's are ones that were transcribed by the artist himself or ones that at least have been verified by the original artist. In Clarence's case we will never have that, but in the case of Roland's TAB book for me the best parts of the book are the written insight and anecdotes that Roland passes on with regard to some of Clarence's fingerings and approaches to tunes. Transcribing TAB is an acquired skill, and part of that is not only knowing what notes are played but what the actual fingerings and positions that were used. You can get real close and good at this from some common sense, and a good ear picking up the tone of certain positions. I went through alot of that sort of thing years ago when I learned transcribing fusion rock players like Eric Johnson and Steve Morse. Those guys would go out of their way to play legato with open notes ringing etc and certain positions were critical to getting it right. I knew from interviews and written articles that these players weren't always playing the easiest way to play something. So based on knowledge like that it's kind of of like piecing together a puzzle. I learned how to do this originally by observing a teacher that I had in the early 80's. I would want to learn a tune and this teacher with aid of a 1/2 speed cassette deck would transcribe it for me on the spot and I'd take it home to learn it. From that I just started doing my own transcriptions with a Tascam 1/2 speed cassette deck...which I eventually wore out and of course never had the ability to slow down without changing pitch or to loop on a specific phrase with absolute pinpoint accuracy..All of which the Amazing Slow Downer does easily, cheaply and never wears out. Of course you need to get it worked up to regular speed but I've learned (for myself anyway) that if you can't play something slowly with accuracy you wont be able to play it fast with accuracy either,, Same with golf, tennis, martial arts... perfect practice makes perfect or something like that... works for me anyway Wink
Murr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still though, slowing is very limited ..i.e, if the licks you are trying to decipher are anything more complex than a simple sequence of single notes, good luck.

Clarence has several things going on at once .. and much of it extremely subtle, as we all know.

To be "amazing" ..I think a gizmo would have to provide a 3d hologram of Clarence and display every nuance. Laughing
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: