Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best speakers, ETC. for a Super Reverb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Best speakers, ETC. for a Super Reverb Reply with quote

Probably JBL D-110 or Webers, but I don't have the funds right now.
I am curious what others use. I bought a pair of Super Reverb amps (1968 and 1969) that were owned by an elderly greek musician. He used them for his entire career. I am in the process of restoring them. One has newer Fender Special Design speakers (that look like Jensens), and the other a collection of odd ball speakers. I bought a quad of Jensen P10R speakers to use for the moment. I may put two and two in the amps, as I have heard that adds to the sound (?). I would just like some feedback form other Super Reverb owners. Speakers, or other things, Please.
thank you,
Lefty
Silverface

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not hesitate - I'd call Ted Weber, tell him what you play - style, rig, volume level, etc - and go with his recommendation. I've never found a WeberVST speaker yet I didn't like.

If those are new Jensens, use them for ashtrays. They are 1) not made to the specs of the originals, 2) so heavily doped that you HAVE to use a bunch of acetone on the cones to loosen them up while playing to ever get ANY tone out of them, and 3) the company isn't even "Jensen". They just bought the rights to the name and model numbers. They are completely different speakers from a completely diferent company, and "harsh" is the kindest word I have for any of them. the current model numbers mean nothing compared to the old ones, except for size and magnet type.

That being said - I took a pair of C10Q's, literally soaked them with acetone, played at high volume, re-soaked, did it again...about 10 times with 15 minutes playing each time. They FINALLY warmed up and actually sound great. But you should NOT have to do that. It's a really stupid design.
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim,
Unfortunantly, I heard the same thing about the new Jensens on the Steel Guitar Forum after I purchased them. I heard an Italian company is making them now. I guess they will have to do untill I have the funds for the Webers. A couple of players liked the new ones, but you know how that goes. I even heard the Derek Trucks uses Pyle drivers in his Super.
I have enough to keep me busy for a while as I am re-tolexing both of them, and have to build new baffle boards for both. Most of the chrome corners, straps were pretty much rusted. But with good chassis, cabinets, and one good set of speakers I still got a pretty good deal for the two.
I only wish you were local to call on for some of the electronic work, although not a lot is needed. I love working on these old things.
Sorry for the mixup of names.
regards,
Lefty

Last edited by STEELEFT1 on Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lefty...

You should be thanking Jim Sliff.... aka 'Silverface' not I Wink

Thanks Brian
Silverface

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe - ans when you heard that on the SGF, obviously (since they only use "real" names) you know it was from me!

Yeah, those new Jensens are real dogs unless you really work on them. Webers are good right out of the box, better when they are broken in.
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have those Jensens in the 68 Super Reverb with the Murcury Mag. 1964 Super Reverb clone xfmr. This is a great Blues amp, but those speakers are as stated, stiff and just don't have the tone that that amp is capable of. Wish I would have waited for feedback, but that is the story of my life.
I will probably send them off to ebay, and get some Webers for that amp.
Live and learn.
Lefty
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to an old post. I finally broke down and replaced the Jensen reissue speakers with Weber 10F125 speakers with light dope. It was like removing earplugs. These speakers sound wonderful, and they are not even broken in. So good that I placed an order for four more for the other Super. Weber does a great job (and made in USA).
Lefty
Murr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd search out originals in working condition ..they're key to that amp's charactor.
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mur,
The 69 Super does have the original speakers in it. They sound sweet, but I am pretty afraid to push them hard. I tried the amp pluged into the Weber speakers of the 68, and it is instant Byrds. Maybe Byrds 1965.
They seem to increase the clean headroon for this amp by about 30%, but are warm also.
I have another set on order for the 69, but I will allways hang onto the originals.
Lefty
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: