Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarence Playablity Action
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john bodle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: action tone etc. Reply with quote

I think Bob Warford mentioned that Clarence was starting to experiment with a lighter gauge string and touch during the time he(Bob) was playing banjo with the Colonels, due to the amount of tele he was playing. This is also one of my favorite periods to listen to Clarences acoustic guitar playing( the kick-off to "The prisoners song" is not something you get over easily!!!!). I also read a review one time of Rolands' album "Trying to get to you" where the reviewer described Rolands playing as "Coaxing the mandolin".Coaxing is so apt when you talk about the White Brothers playing, effortless tone and originality regardless of what instrument you put in their hands ( watch Clarence on mando on "country suite" and watch Roland do the "Eighth of Jan." both on u- tube. Very effortless, very musical!!!). I would think they both would have set-up preferences, but I also think you could give either of them anything and they would find that particular instruments' strength( and it would look soooo deceptively easy).
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is also one of my favorite periods to listen to Clarences acoustic guitar playing( the kick-off to "The prisoners song" is not something you get over easily!!!!).

John ...Which recording is this version of "Prisoners Song" from?? Thx! Brian
john bodle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: The prisoners song Reply with quote

The kick-off I'm thinking about is off the rounder album 0098( the blue album with a later photo of Clarence smiling on the front) I think it might be the 1st cut on the 2nd side. the b side tunes seem to be mostly from @ 1967. By the way Bob warford, from one banjo player to another, I thoroughly enjoyed your banjo work on this stuff!!!
Murr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appalachian Swing and Guitar Workshop sounds like medium gauge to me, and '73 in Sweden sounds light gauge, but maybe its a characteristic of the Whitebook.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skydogz1#g/u
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Rice handed me Clarence's D-28 one time to check out. The strings were probably mediums, but the set up made it easy to play. Much better then the D-18 I had at the time. BTW, I didn't know it was Clarence's D-28 when I played it or I might have fainted. That's how Tony had it, how it was when Clarence had it I have no idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: