Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D-18 GE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Miller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: D-18 GE Reply with quote

well...I took the jump the otherday...walked into our local martin dealer with a guitar and amp..and some cash...and walked out with this...

Its a 2004 D-18 GE...NOS apparently the store had it in inventory but not out for sale for quite a while...I thing I got a heck of a deal...and they got a bookkeeping relic off their books.

The lighting in this photo is such that the joint between the two halves of the top is more pronounced than in real life..one photos also shows some bearclaw thats not really visible...

So now I suppose I need to learn the B part to "Whiskey Before Breakfast...
Savalas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a beauty Don, hows does it sound?
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Don! Great guitar!
Don Miller

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like a beauty Don, hows does it sound?

Ya know...with all the guitars I've had, and played, I dont think Ive heard one quite as expressive as this one...it seems to have opended up nicely..the shop had a newer D18GE that was might "tighter"..both physically and audibly....

Darn thing does show all my shortcomings in technique and such...heheheh
SoundAsEver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! A real classic in the Martin line. Doesn't get much better than this!
Muttcaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearclaw is good.

Get that capo off the headstock.

Congrats. I love D-18 GE's.
Don Miller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old habits die hard..the capo left the headstock right after I took thre photo...
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of capos (an essential tool for bluegrass flatpicking)....which one do you all use... I use a Shubb and like it alot...it's only drawback is that it has no where to go except off the guitar when not in use. I've seen some more exotic pricey ones and wonder if they are really worth all that extra $...
owb3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guitar Don. It just LOOKS like it sounds good.

I still use a Shubb I got in the 80's (you can get replacement rubber) and it goes right in my left pocket when not in use. Best design ever IMO; the one-handers don't work for me.
Steve-o

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about that Kyser up on the headstock. I read somewhere that the added weight in that area can actually enhance the tone. Plus, Clarence always used one of that other kind of "lever" capos, and he would slide it up to rest above the nut.....didn't seem to hurt his tone at all.
Don Miller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not hurt the tone..but it occurred to me that as the faceplace on the headstock is Bazillion rosewood, clamping a capo on it might not be a good idea...

Ive got a Shubb that lives in the case for my Nashville West but doesnt get used much..so maybe I'll dig that out...altho the Kyser does seem to work ok...
SoundAsEver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a lot of trying out lots and lots of capos to realize what a difference a good capo can make. I've tried shubbs and kysers and too many others to count. In my humble opinion I'd say for the money the best value goes to the shubb but best performance overall goes to the former mckinney now known as the Mckinney Elliott capo. They are pretty expensive but they are the best capo I've tried and there is a very noticable difference in performance between a Mckinney Elliot and every other capo. It seems to me that the Mckinney Elliott comes the closest to allowing the string to ring and sustain like it would if it were being played open. They are light and sleek and store nicely behind the nut. Bought one about 10 years ago and have never needed another capo.
Muttcaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Elliot on #1 and all the rest have Paige.

Weight on the headstock will enhance sustain but cut punch. On non-scalloped guitar like Clarence's D-18 that tends to be bright an nasally to begin with, more sustain is good, but on a scalloped braced guitar like the GE, I'd prefer more punch. And, of course, Clarence didn't have the capo or guitar choices that we have today. I had a Hamilton capo, too, but as soon as Shubb came out I got one of them. I only moved to the Elliot/Paige type after getting more Tony Rice influence in the mid-80's.

I mostly was just giving Don a hard time. Razz
Don Miller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mostly was just giving Don a hard time.

Haaa!...and here I thought you were sharing your experience and expertise..

Actually..as a guy who is not allowed to use "Rolling Writer" pens anymore because they manage to get into the laundry and reek havoc with my wifes stuff, Ive been hyper cautious about putting any sort of a nick or mark on the D18GE...so Bryans comment regarding no capo clamped on the headstock made sense...

I was going to make some smart comment about the cost of those Elliot capos until I went and bought a new Schubb specifically for the Martin...new guitars are great for letting you buy stuff all over again...and it was 26 bucks....for something with a 50-50 chance of getting lost in the next 6 months....last time I bought one it was $9
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shubb makes 2 types...the original one and the newer one with the roller which cost $5 more.. I have both and think the original works slightly better...seems more secure and less moving parts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: