Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

playing guitar is difficult

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patdaddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: playing guitar is difficult Reply with quote

I know what sound i want to make, but I have no idea where on the fretboard to find that sound.
I also have short fingers (i think)..it takes me about 10 seconds to form a "C" chord. I find that i have to get the tip of my fingers 90 to the fretboard, otherwise they touch the other strings and it sounds like crap. I really dont think my finger tips are that big around.
Ive never taken lessons, and i'm too embarrased to have my dad teach me, and I dont like people being able to hear me practice, so i try to strum really light. I'm also very easily discouraged, and have virtually no patience.

Perhaps i should try the accordian Razz
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning guitar is a all about patience, and correct technique for most poeple...although there are some that break all the rules and do just fine as well. There are periods of learning fast then hitting plateaus. I wouldn't be shy about seeking help including your dad or lessons. You will spend a lifetime learning from others if you continue playing.
rickhouston

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: neck width Reply with quote

go to a music store, play a few different instruments, you may find a wide neck will help you. talk to an old fart who really knows about guitar variety, get a cheap used one with the right neck for you. if you love it, you'll get it and have a lifetime of satisfaction. good luck !
patdaddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Simon & Patrick dreadnaught, to replace my Baby Taylor. It's a nice guitar, and i like the shape of the neck.
I've also got:
Fender Nashville Tele w/ PG Bender
Fender Mexican Tele w/ Bigsby
Fender Japanese 52 reissue
Fender Mexican Strat, ash special run
Fender Mexican Strat, silver 60th anniversary
Fender Celtic Esquire

I keep my finger nails trimmed short so that they dont get in my way to fret. My dad has a training set of cd's we bought to use on the computer, i really should try those.
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
There are periods of learning fast then hitting plateaus. You will spend a lifetime learning from others if you continue playing.

+1 Well said Brian.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt... I try to learn from everyone I play with... I like learning from Clarence more than anyone else though. Cool Very Happy
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, guitar has always been like a really fun puzzle that I'll never finish. Just about every time I pick it up I either make a concious effort to practice toward, or stumble upon something I didn't know before.
patdaddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should probably just sit and practice going from chord to chord to get better at that first.
Don Miller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teaching expereince is limited to wives, and children..but one thing that worked for me...and something I suggest to any novice....is to take a tune..a jingle..a nursey rhyme..a folk song, whatever...dont worry if its something silly... and sing and play it until the neighbors start pounding on the wall shouting "knock it off"...then try it in a different key until they start yelling again. And if you say you cant sing...youll be able to sing by the time youre done...when ya got that tune down, pick another...

Mine was "Micheal Row the Boat Ashore"...my first wife used "Your Love is all Around me "( the Troggs tune)...its alot more fun than just trying to change chords and helps with rhythm and timing as well. If a chord is hard, use a portions of it...(like fret the first string at the first fret, hit the D, G, B and E strings and you have a simple G7)...the key is keep moving and play the song...eventually youll be able to use the full grip.

If youre worried about people hearing you , alot of amps have a headphone jack...or you can get a headphone amp pretty cheaply...then you can play as loud as you want and all anyone else hears is a little noise...

I think the key is to have fun...its not a job. If it aint working today, try again tommorrow...and be patient..it takes time...alot of good advice from Matt and Brian..
Art

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And always remember

"If it were easy, everyone would be doing it." Cool
Muttcaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginners often try to bite off too much, too fast, IMHEO. If you will spend the next 4 weeks doing nothing but putting a finger down on a string, behind a fret and then picking that note, I guarantee you that your playing will improve. Put one finger down and play 1 note, then put 2 fingers down at once and play both. Play your note with a downstroke and then with an upstroke and then with your middle finger while holding the pick. After a month of doing this, I think you'll find that chords will be a piece of cake.

Here's the concept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PycZtfns_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qOY9hcm64&feature=related
Raybob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patdaddy wrote:
i should probably just sit and practice going from chord to chord to get better at that first.

Do that until you get bored with it, then try playing scales for a while. When you get bored with that, try picking out melodies for a while. Get bored with that, go back to switching chords. Get bored with that try new chords or new positions of old chords. Thing is don't give up. If you want to give up, try something different is my point.

Raybob
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: