Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tweed Deluxe Volume/Tone control mod

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Tweed Deluxe Volume/Tone control mod Reply with quote

Tweed Deluxes are famous for interactive volume and tone controls. Some (maybe most?) users of the amp find this as part of the charm of this old circuit, but I find it really annoying. A side effect of the interactive behaviour is a LARGE abrupt volume increase when you are trying to increase volume (from boths channels at 0) slowly to some ususable-at-home volume. I did a little looking into this and found that the problem was solved simply and effective on the subsequent version of the Deluxe...namely Leo Fender cured this when he designed the Brown Deluxe amp. The input circuits are almost identical accept for the mods that cure all this weird behavior.

So now I have a Tweed Deluxe that has NO volume and tone control ineraction and each channel volume increases slowly and precictably from 0 all the way up to 12. All of the tone of the Tweed Deluxe and none of the quirks!

What's also cool about it now is that since each input channel's volume can be independently controlled you can still bridge the input channels and/or you can use one of the channels to mix in an effect and control the mix of dry and effect with the individual volume controls.
Murr

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the interactive volume controls on narrow panels.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is that? What if you could get the same tones as you can now (just with different settings), but with better overall control...wouldn't you like that better?
Murr

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wanna change nothin' ..it sounds just fine, as is.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I understand. I realize that the stock circuit sounds fine. What I was trying to fix was the really abrupt (silient to very loud) volume increase when I was trying to use the amp at low volume for home use. The stock circuit has this problem. The modded one does not have that quirk and still sounds the same as stock. I just made the volume control more useable for low volume at home use. Very Happy
Silverface

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, don't you mean interactive volume controls - between the instrument and mic channels? That's where the "action" is - set the instrument volume on about 4 or 5 and slowly bring up the mic volume (with nothing plugged into the mic input) - get the mic control around 2:00 and there's a big midrange push without losing the bottom end or brightness. Fatter midrange tones you cannot get splitting the channels. In different positions you get different variations on the same theme. I have tried a couple of channel-splitting mods in the past and disliked them - I lost half the usable tones in the amp. Those interactive sounds are NOT available any other way.

The volume/tone controls are also interactive, but not in such a dramatic way.
Brian

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time we have a couple of 5E3's together we can compare. The stock circuit controls are interactive which means that you are mixing the tones of the Normal and Mic channels and as far as I can tell I can still do this just fine...EXCEPT that I now have to add a jumper cable to bridge the inputs to the way mine is set up cuz withhout the jumper cable now they are completely independent, and more importantly (for me at home) I can now dial in a low volume. I couldn't do that before...if was off and wham instant volume that was too loud (as the the volume controls are gradually inceased from zero and up). Granted in live situation haveing low volume is not really a need.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: