Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarence's Acoustic timeline??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Clarence's Acoustic timeline?? Reply with quote

Anyone have an idea of what guitars were used on what recordings/era?
Brian

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt...

The only acoustics that I've heard that Clarence played were 1950's D-18's and occasionally the '39 D-28 that Tony Rice owns. Seems like is was primarily 50's D-18's for almost all Kentucky Colonels live and studio though. During the Byrds he probably used numerous 60's D-28's and an Ovation (back when those first came out). After the Byrds he owned some custom flattops... a Roy Noble and a Whitebook.
Steve-o

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puhleeeeze- the Ovation was just for some publicity thing, and he hated it, rightfully. He played various D-18s for lead work, set up with low action, and the D-28 was set with high action for rhythm playing. Roger would say, "Clarence has to get his other guitar for this one...."
freddairy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he own the Noble and the Whitebook at the same time? I know he used two Martins during the Colonel days but I wonder if he gigged with multiple guitars with the later Colonels/Muleskinner bands.
Muttcaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
the '39 D-28 that Tony Rice owns.

Murr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the recording dates and pics it looks like the Whitebook came on the scene in May. Prior to that, MuleSkinner (Feb) and Guitar Workshop (April) its the Noble. Is that right?
john bodle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: the whitebook Reply with quote

Iasked Roland about the Whitebook after a show, because I had seen it in Russ Barenbergs book and didn't know what the "W" stood for.He said that Clarences' wife had given him the guitar, but didn't mention where Clarence had bought it.There is a cool story about the guitar and David Grier that was published years ago in bluegrass unlimited. This was in Maryland during the last tour. David and Roland were jamming in a hotel room that was adjoining Clarences, David asked Roland if he could play Clarences guitar and Roland said "sure".According to David- w/o thinking about it-He pulled off one of Clarences licks, Clarence throws open the door ,asks David "where did you learn that?"David says "I heard you play at the show earlier today", Clarence says " you mean you haven't practiced it or nothing?"David says" no". Clarence( trying to make David think he was mad) knocked a picher off the tv set, storms back into his room and tells Lamar Grier (who was in Clarences room) that "David should have one of these guitars( Whitebook) and if you can't afford it I will buy it"!! Clarence and Lamar must have been laughing their heads off. Poor David!! Cool
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know more about the original Martin ..what year, what woods, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: