Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gene Parsons Interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes in the Byrds lineup made for interesting albums.

McGuinn, Crosby, Clark, Hillman, Clarke

McGuinn, Crosby, Hillman, Clarke

McGuinn, Hillman, Clarke

McGuinn, Hillman, Kelley, Gram Parsons

McGuinn, White, Gene Parsons, John York

McGuinn, White, Gene Parsons, Battin
'
raoul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lineups:

http://users.skynet.be/byrdsflyght/lineups.htm
Bugler

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Bakerbyrd's comments. It wasn't David Crosby that was the main factor in Gene's leaving. He was more generally displeased with the Fowley/Battin material (referenced on Byrdmaniax).As has been said, it was partly the disagreement over Gene P concerning profit sharing that was a big factor, plus John Phillips telling McGuinn, 'Your drummer can't play 4/4 - he plays country'. McGuinn said, 'that got things moving!' Plus, in addition, Melcher said he thought Gene P was a better guitarist than a banjo player. So, various reasons...
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I own and enjoy the Byrds reunion album, I never felt that it sounded like The Byrds. All the players were there, but the spirit of the band was missing.

I think that experience is one of the main reasons McGuinn won't play with Crosby anymore. I'd still love to hear what Crosby, McGuinn and Hillman could do together. But I don't think I'd call it The Byrds.

I seem to remember reading somewhere tht it's only in the past few years that Crosby has realized what an incredible guitarist Clarence was.

And I have to agree, the material on the last couple of Byrds albums was pretty weak.
rickhouston

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: did you see them in greeley, '72? Reply with quote

Paul-
not sure what you meant by weak material in last albums, hopefully not the playing. i see you are in ft collins, let me tell you about the greatest nite of my 60 yrs so far, in Greeley, a few clicks away--where the Byrds played a long concert in march 1972. they played the previous nite just outside of denver, and i made both nites. the greeley concert was the greatest musical event i have ever attended, i sat front row, left, right under clarence's feet, i was a 22 yr old b bender nut, had made my own, played it 8 hours a day, and this colorado nite was heaven for me. clarence was a genius, has never been equalled even though his basic vocab was simple country licks and a few r&b licks.

continuing your thread, for me, the contribution of crosby was virtually irrelevant in the Byrds, and his insulting public comments re Clarence show he is not only a mediocre player, but also just doesn't know sh.. from shinola about guitar talent !!
hope nobody asks how i really feel.

best regards, and hail colorado
rballister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger gave an interview several years ago about Crosby. He explained his position in regard to not playing with Crosby. Basically, it has to do with an aspect of his conversion to Christianity (a bit hard core for me, but I would never criticize a man's religious beliefs).

In a different older post Mur enumerated Crosby's vocal and instrumental talents with great clarity. Anyone who's heard the early rehearsal tapes knows Crosby was capable of both cruelty and poor judgement. These shortcomings don't negate his musical talent. (people are complex!)
Rosemarie J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot confirm that.....The only one that would know is Gene because Clarence's wife is with Clarence and Michelle was too young to know. I don't know the answer for sure but then maybe Roland might know.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: