Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gene Parsons Interview
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
genes_tach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Gene Parsons Interview Reply with quote

Just listened to a nice interview with Gene Parsons. He talks about the byrds, bender,new cd etc etc.

More info here:http://users.skynet.be/byrdsflyght/news2.htm

or straight to the interview here:http://www.kdrt.org/node/1123
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat interview ..thanx genes_tach! ..I always like hearing what Gene has to say.

Click here ---> http://www.kdrt.org/node/1123

'
Savalas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice interview.. Gene always comes across as a friendly, unassuming guy - he certainly was when I had the pleasure to meet him in the UK at a show in Bournemouth a few years back. Hope he finishes writing his memoirs sometime soon.
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a true gentleman, Gene is.
'
bakerbyrd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice that Gene acknowledged that he loved playing with Clarence, Skip, and John York. Hmmm . . . who is missing from this picture?
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bakerbyrd wrote:
Did you notice that Gene acknowledged that he loved playing with Clarence, Skip, and John York. Hmmm . . . who is missing from this picture?

hmmm.. Jimmi Seiter? Very Happy
Murr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Taylor?
'
raoul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he's talking about the time they recorded these McGuinn-less tracks for Byrds albums... Very Happy

[quote="bakerbyrd"]Did you notice that Gene acknowledged that he loved playing with Clarence, Skip, and John York. Hmmm . . . who is missing from this picture?[/quote]
rickhouston

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: gene/rog Reply with quote

my guess is they had a great relationship which after zillions of working days, eventually wore thin, most guys who have been in bands experience this over time. try playing min 200 dates per year for 3 or 4 years, travel, crappy motels, smelling each other's various idiosyncracies etc, just human nature. remember roger got unbelievable success at very early age, performing with then biggies chad mitchell etc immediately after high school graduation, then having a #1 hit at age 22, then 8 years later, no radio hits for a while, maybe he mentally began to blame a decline on the easiest targets etc, who knows. these guys are all gods to me-
bakerbyrd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Rick about a lot of bands that were together for almost 5 years. It can wear things thin.

But some think the main reason McGuinn fired Gene was that David Crosby bashed Gene as a rock drummer. This was around the time the original 5 Byrds were reforming for, in my opinion, a decent record. But the egos (exp. Crosby) re-emerged and McGuinn was probably self-conscious about the comments. After all, Crosby almost destroyed sensitive Gene Clark early on.
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the "Byrds" re-union LP...but it was more of a collection of solo artist songs with support from the other members. It wasn't like an early Byrds album even though it had the original lineup.

re: Gene... my impression (not sure where have heard it) was that he was let go due to being dis-gruntled (in the monetary sense) of the employer (McGuinn) vs employee (everyone else in that era Byrds) relationship. Only they know what was said or promised...but it sounds like CW era "Byrds" never gained a level of partnership in the band that they were after even after years of hard work on the road.
bakerbyrd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Brian. All of the latter day Byrds were on salary. It clearly was not a partnership.

And the reason the Reunion album sounded as you said: egos. All except for Gene Clark, who stood head and shoulders above the others with Full Circle and See the Sky About to Rain.
Dogbear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would certainly explain the dynamics of the reunion album as the only thing that is memorable off it for me was "Full Circle". The other tracks, if not taken from the individual artistís solo material, just didn't do anything for me. Might have been very different had Clarence been around.
raoul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was done as a reunion of the original Byrds, so Clarence's presence would have made no sense.

I personally prefer the reunion album to many latter day Byrds LPs.
rballister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the money thing with Gene Clark--it's been said many times that Gene was making more money than any of the original Byrds because of the number of original songs he had on the early albums. About the partnership thing--not 100% sure, but I think by the end of the Byrds lifespan Clarence was a full partner--none of the others were. (I'm sure the relatives could confirm one way or another!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: