Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keith D Tuners on a Telecaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Hayes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: ..... Reply with quote

I like to use the "A" tuner for a lick as well as for the open G tuning. What's cool is if you're in the key of D for instance and you're going to make a IV chord change to G. Just hit the A string and lower it and then noodle around on the middle 4 strings however you want and then when you want to go back to the V chord (A7) you just grab the Keith tuner on the 5th string and play strings 1, 2 and 5 and twist the tuner back to A at the same time you're pushing down on the neck to bring the 2nd string to C#. Then you've got the root of the A chord on the 5th string, the 3rd (C#) on the 2nd string and the 5th on the high E string. I activate the B bender by actually turning the peg and pushing down on it at the same time. It's easy to do and the sound of the A string and the B string moving at the same time with the hight E as a drone is a nice lick.

If I'm doing a gig without a steel player to take the 2nd go 'round, I have a solo worked out on "Buckaroo" using the moves I've mentioned here. Just experiment with these and you'll find some nice things......

Also, when my band does "Boot Scootin' Boogie" in the key of G, I play the whole thing with my A string lowered to G as a root and drone to fatten things up..........JH in Va.
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my Clarence White Signature Tele didn't already have them, I wouldn't bother with them either.. 1 song...Nashville West is all I ever used ONE of the tuners for.
Johnny Isaacs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine all the time. I play in D quite a bit and even when I'm in A, I'll leave it dropped and throw the thumb on the second fret for the E chord. I leave it down for G too. I don't use the high one all that often so I could go either way with it, but I really use the one on the E/6th string all the time.

Johnny Isaacs
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
If my Clarence White Signature Tele didn't already have them, I wouldn't bother with them either.. 1 song...Nashville West is all I ever used ONE of the tuners for.

+1 I pulled mine off and sold them last year. Never used them anymore, and they're HEAVY.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: