Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keith D Tuners on a Telecaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even a cave man can do it.

Hey I resemble that remark.
'
patdaddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i ordered some of the Schallers from Elderly. Now i might haveta find a caveman to teach me how to use them...
Murr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have banjo tuners to help the guitar look more like Clarence's, but not sure it's a great idea otherwise ..seems the weight clamped on the headstock like that might inhibit some good vibrations. The string angle behind the nut gets changed as well. Speculations?
'
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murr wrote:
I have banjo tuners to help the guitar look more like Clarence's, but not sure it's a great idea otherwise ..seems the weight clamped on the headstock like that might inhibit some good vibrations. The string angle behind the nut gets changed as well. Speculations?
'

I have them on both my E's and feel the same way you do Murr.

If'n I had it to do over, I wouldn't have added them.
Murr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easy to put it back to stock ..just insert a sleeve to make a good fit for the original tuning gear.

But do have to say, gettin' into "Nashville West" tuning is a breeze with the Scruggs.
'
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murr wrote:
gettin' into "Nashville West" tuning is a breeze with the Scruggs.
'

I think you can actually hear Clarence tune back to normal with the Scruggs right after he plays Nashville West on the Fillmore 1969 Live CD
Murr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, on most the live boots.
'
Silverface

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake - yeah, that one lick is why I plan on putting a set on the Pullstring Tele (which is just about glued to me!) and do it right - on the high E and the A.
Murr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim ..your NW has Scruggs, right?
patdaddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon i'll be puttin mine on the High E & A also, then. For the Clarence vibe.
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled my Bill Keith de-tuners this week and put the stock kluson's back in both e's. The neck end feels WAY lighter...entire guitar does actually. I actually used them every once in a while at gigs several years ago. But, I haven't used the de-tune stops in so long I just couldn't justify keeping them on.
Don Miller

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped necks on my Nashville West a couple of months ago. I had an American Standard neck I liked, and seemed to be easier on my increasingly creaky hand, so I swapped it for the baseball bat on the NW. In the process, the Schaller banjo tuners that were on the original NW neck went back in my parts box.

Last weekend I pulled them out and put them on the high E (drop to D) and low A (drop to G) strings of the NW...it works much better for quick forays into open G tuning for sure...I had been working on some Keef-Tumbling Dice type stuff and it works like a charm for that...its easier to mute/avoid the low E than it was to mute or miss the A string when the tuners were on the E strings.

I dont get the easy low drop D tho...
Jerry Hayes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post, about a year ago I took one of my Les Pauls (an Epi) to make a form of a "Buck Trent" guitar. It had a Bigsby Palm Pedal already on the guitar so I added six Keith/Scruggs tuners on it and I've used it quite a bit a gigs. I lower all the strings a whole tone each except for the G string which only goes down a half. With this set up I can get open G, Open D, dropped D, double dropped D, DADGAD and also sometimes when playing in the key of C, I'm able to drop the D string to C and the A string to G to get a couple of low drone strings while soloing on the first three in standard. All in all it's a nice guitar and very versatile. I can't post pictures on this forum as it's not like the TDPRI or SGF where you can take 'em from your "My Pictues" file........JH in Va.
Silverface

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They hold as tight as any high-end tuner on the market (both the Keith and Schallers). The Keith tuners are a bit smoother and take less effort (there's less friction and/or they're geared differently...not sure why, but they do seem to be better engineered) but the Schallers work fine, considering the amount of times in a *year* you'd actually use the things!

I have Schallers on the "E"'s on my Nashville West but will probably move the low one to the "A" string where I might actually use it. The fact is they look cool, are "Clarence Correct" but not all that useful - however, I use the high-E one just enough to not take 'em off.

As far as the weight factor, I think having those and Kluson reissues probably weighs a little less than a full set of enclosed tuners. They don't seem to affect tone at all (and the break angle from the nut can be controlled with string post windings). OTOH I'd never put 'em on an acoustic because of the weight - I'm going back to all open-back tuners on those.

FWIW if you want a quick-and-dirty drop device on the high-E the Timara string drop is lightweight, requires no hole mods, and works with a lever like the Scruggs cam-type tuners. IF you buy one, though, be sure to put a little pressure on the moving parts to tighten them up a bit - mine and every other one I checked out rattled. But since you can move it around from guitar to guitar it IS handy one you dial it in!
Don Miller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the tuner from the A back to the low E string...I found I needed the drop D change more than the 5 string open G you get when its on the A string...my bandmates strarted pulling out some of those drop D "outlaw" country tunes so the quick change works well...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: