Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarence White DVD . ..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Clarence White DVD . .. Reply with quote

Sierra did a wonderful job on this ...the rare footage and wonderful slide show ..great watching experience. Anyway, has anyone noticed Clarence's pick on Guitar Workshop? ...it's white, but not bright white like plastic ...its darker, maybe ivory or some kind of bone. And the shape is nondescript. Anyone have a clue as to what this pick could be?
Savalas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be bone? Perhaps Roland would know the answer if anyone has a chance to 'pick' his memory?

I use these ones for flatpicking..

http://www.steveclayton.com/ultem.html

Really like the tone of them. What do you guys use?
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a variety of picks for acoustic depending on what tone or feel I'm looking for. The Wegen bluegrass picks are great for lead playing. The Red Bear Trading also makes a great bluegrass pick.. I also use the 'Dawg' pick for more mellow tone...

For electric Tele.. I still like the Bakersfield pick that I got from Mur... my favorit for Tele.

Also I rarely use the point on any of my picks (except the Wegen). I use the rounded edge.
Todd in TN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that Clarence mainly used real tortoise and sometimes a half dollar although I doubt he ever used the latter unless he was just messing around. Billy Gibbons uses a Peso filed down to pick shape.

I have seen elephant ivory picks on ebay at times, maybe that's what he had in the video???

It makes perfect sense that he used tortoise alot since it is so popular in bluegrass and Tony Rice still uses them (easy to assume where he got the idea Wink ).

I've been using two genuine tortoise picks that I bought at IBMA last October. I use a 1.09 on the Tele/Strat/Les Paul, and 1.34 on the Martin for Bluegrass flatpicking, rythym, etc... They are harder/stiffer per thickness than any man-made picks I have ever used. I lightly scuff the shine off of them with 400 grit sandpaper and they hang on perfect. I will never be able to use anything else now, everything about them is an advantage except the price.

They are the same shape and size as the fender 346 style, three identical sides, larger than the teardrop size that most people use. I can't emphasize enough how changing to these has increased my stability, leverage, power, and overall ability to make things happen like I want. (If you are on here reading this, you have probably already found what works best for you Smile )

The picks are just broke in and should last another year or two easily. I tilt my pick down in the front when I play, the upstrokes wear the rear/top edge and the downstrokes wear the front/bottom edge of the points.
I also have a 0.60 and 1.28 that I don't seem to use much.

As far as buy-anywhere-picks, my favorite was the Dunlop Ultex (rhino logo) or Clayton although they don't offer anything in my thickness/shape. The 1.14 is not near as stiff as my 1.09 tortoise.

A mando player gave me a black pick with machine mill marks on it, maybe a Wegen? It had three different points and I hated the shape but It was the best man-made material I've used. Still not as stiff as tortoise.

Avice: don't forget and do a Boston type pickslide with your $50 tortoise pick! Mad

Todd in TN
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what Clarence is using on Guitar Workshop, but I've also heard that he generally used tortoiseshell. The pick that Baxter shows is clearly shell, in the tradtional triangle shape. This is what I use (1.2mm), and haven't found anything better, though at $50/pick, I've tried most options!

You guys may be on to something, with bone or ivory. I don't know how well those materials work for picks, but the one Clarence has here is clearly white, and it doesn't look like any traditional plastic pick I know of.

James
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe its a light colored shell, or maybe plastic. We'll probably never know.
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like these picks from Wegen
http://www.wegenpicks.com/
isenhour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "hot" new pick going now taking the place of the real TS is the BlueChip pick. Made by hand in Knoxville, TN by Matthew Goins it is very close if not better than real TS according to hundreds of users.
I found it works great on guitar and mandolin. Requires no polishing.
Pricey at $35 but worth a try. It is the only pick I use now. There was a review in Vintage Guitar Magazine a few months back by Steve Stone comparing it to other high end picks. Check it out at
www.bluechippick.net
Tele2000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid close attention to that pick, and after pausing the video several times it's triangle shaped. I believe it to be either a Fender, Gibson, or possibly a pick from McCabes (just a guess). Older Fender picks used to be a different kind of plastic.

I have some older Fender 351 picks, Extra Heavy, and they're a completely different material than the current picks, and a little darker color... not completely white. They have a yellowish tinge to them. To this day, the pick that Clarence uses in that video still bewilders me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: