Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mint 58 Champ in Box! on ebay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Mint 58 Champ in Box! on ebay Reply with quote

This is so cool...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290232282143&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019
Drake

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Right out of a time machine.
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and right into the ebay record books...almost $5000 for a Champ!
Silverface

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was a collector's dream. Probably bought by GC's vintage guys in Hollywood to add to their "show" items. I don't mind when they get stuff, as it at least goes on public display.

FWIW those amps are unbelievably strong. I always like SF Champs as well, but didn't remember how much richer the tweeds sounded until gigging with Mur - the first time we played together h used a tweed champ and I played one of my Teles through his tweed Princeton (which I now have). No bass player, but acoustic guitar (plugged in) AND a drummer...this was at a Fender party, and it even blew the Fender management guys away how loud AND clear we were with two Champs (essentially - the Princeton being a Champ with a bigger cab and a tone control). If you have a drummer who knows how to play under control - and this one played with sticks and at full-bore, but with the right touch and dynamics - you can do it. Mur would often use a Champ when I switched to bass; one gig I actually BLEW the speakers in my SWR combo trying to get the volume to match a cranked Champ and a BF Deluxe (non-reverb).

I have one of the rare '64's with black tolex over the stock '58-style tweed box, with the same '58 circuit...the last of the "tweed-style" amps I can play pedal steel through it, perfectly clean at reasonably loud volume for practice at home. They're just amazing little amps. Most of them benefit from a speaker change (saving the original in case you sell it) - a cheap Weber Signature is a great match for any Champ with an 8" speaker and will give you great sound and a ton more headroom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Trade & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: