Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amps for home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Amps for home Reply with quote

I've been trying different amp setups for home use and still sort of searching..

I have 78 Princeton Reverb which I've changed speakers twice (Weber Cali 10 and now Eminence Copperhead)...and the amp still lacks something. The tone is kind of funky right now with the Copperhead in. ALso...the particle board cabinet on these late 70's Fender amps affects the tone... Thinking of selling this PR..

On another note I picked up a Champion 600 5W with 6in speaker...that was interesting to mod and get back to stock... but that amp too is not what I'm looking for. This amp will also be sold..

I'm thinking 1x12 in speaker (even at low volume) is what I'm after...which is basically clean Fender tone with reverb..and with the option of getting a crunch tone out of it.

Anyone have experience with a Fender Blues Junior? Any other suggestions? Maybe a Deluxe Reverb with some sort of boost pedal?
philgerard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
I don't have a Blues Junior but I know there's a lot of buzz around about them which I'm sure you're aware of. For those who haven't seen the mods here's some sites dedicated to this amp.
http://www.torresengineering.com/newmodforfen.html
http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bluesjunior.htm

I am currently playing a 1960's Gibson Minuteman at home. It's a G-20 RVT and has a replaced 12" speaker, a Jensen P12Q from '65. I think these amps are very underrated. About 15 watts. Seven tubes with reverb and tremolo.They break up like little Marshalls but play clean up until 5. I put it on 5-6 and use my guitar volume to manage my sound. Sounds great with my red bender. They sell for about $350 or so since the collector world hasn't really caught on to them yet although Vintage Guitar Mag is doing it's best! Also, are small and easy to move around. I also use an old Gibson BR-6 but with a field coil speaker I keep my volume in check with this one.
Again for the benefit of tose new to vintage gear, here's a great Gibson Amp fact site:
http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/gg/amps1.html

Phil

Last edited by philgerard on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Miller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to look at amps as the thing that makes the guitar loud....so Im probabally the wrong guy to comment...but Ive been using one of those Champ 600s..retubed with a Weber speaker..and kicked a bit by an EV LPB...the new foot pedal version because my older version got sick and I think I killed it trying to repair it.

It gets a nice almost broken up sound...I dime the amp and control the sound with the guitar.

I periodically play thru a friends DRRI, and I like it. And I like having that classic tremolo and reverb right there, without having to use any pedals...
Art

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traded my big ole 15" Earth Revival amp for a Fender Blues Jr a few months back and it's just what the doctor ordered as far as my humble ears are concerned
It, along with my Boss compresser/sustainer box and Brian's Flex-Drive unit, gets me real close to that Clarence tone, and at low, comfortable levels to boot
Highly recommended Very Happy
Muttcaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Amps for home Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I have 78 Princeton Reverb which I've changed speakers twice

I've had 2 BFPR's and neither one of them did much for me. I currently have a '62 PR that I like a lot, though. Had a Blues Jr when I had one of the BFPR's and I liked the BJr quite a better- it was fatter and much bigger sounding. My Strats _hated_ the BFPR and loved the Blues Jr. I just recently had and traded (good trade, hated to see the amp go) a Pro Jr. that I also liked a LOT. I'm probably going to get another B Jr. or Pro Jr. before too long.

Just FYI so you'll know where I am, the amps I have now are '57-ish tweed Champ, '62 Princeton, '75 Deluxe Reverb. I think it speaks well of the Pro Jr. that I'd throw it into this mix.
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Blues Jr for a while and really liked it. I gigged mine a few times...the other guitar player in my band has used his at every show for about 2 years now.

They really do the 'fender' sound pretty well. I like the pro jr's as well, but if you 'need' reverb, the Blues Jr is the way to go.

The real plus sides with them for me is how compact they are, the adequate sound quality, and the replenishable aspect. You can have all the fun you want and not worry about damage to a high $$ vintage amp.

-Matt
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blues Jr's sound like a good idea...but now I'm tempted to go one step further with a Hot Rod Deluxe... I'm concerned that even with a 1x12...the Blues Jr still might sound small and boxy (due to the small cramped cabinet)... Seems like my experiences and what I observe folks tinkering with small amps...they are always trying to make them sound bigger... so why not cut to the chase. Even though the HRD is way more power (40w versus 15w) it does have a master volume to keep it low for home. Bad idea? the $ is close to being the same..
astro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get stoned for this.. but try out one of the new VOX DA series they started bringing out lately.

Been playing a DA-20 (20w) at home (took it to a couple of gigs too)
s'got sound,crunch,11 effects, headphone input!! , can run on batteries, a mic input, line-in for an ipod/cdplayer (jam with "the band" on headphones Wink

It's got two wee brothers the 5w DA-5 and 10w DA-10 (they onl have the amps/effects and no bells and whistles)

As to versatiliy: I can tweak mine to sound like clarence,knopfler,the edge and hound dog taylor.

astro
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm concerned that even with a 1x12...the Blues Jr still might sound small and boxy (due to the small cramped cabinet)

I can't speak from experience with this amp, but that's the reason I chose a '73 Deluxe Reverb over a '71 Princeton Reverb that had been fitted with a 12". Believe me, I was REALLY hoping to like the Princeton (so compact!), but it sounded so small next to the Deluxe.

Honestly, I'd just go out and get a SFDR. Can't beat it - tone, value, versatility, and portability all rolled into one package. In fact, home is the only place I use mine for the time being. I leave the amp volume between 5-6, and knock the guitar volume back to about 75-80% or lower. Yeah, it's a little loud, but it sounds great, and the cops haven't showed up yet.

JE
Drake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an old deluxe reverb, Brian. Cool
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Miller

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a guy who had one of those...or maybe it was the Blues Deluxe RI..he was a home player. He ended up selling the amp because it was too loud to play at home...I played thru one..again Im not sure of the partuicular model but it one of the newer 40w tweed Fenders at a bar room jam session and it was sweet...
getbent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, you are down by buffalo bros right? there was an amp in there called a Gomez... I played it awhile back (maybe call first and see if they still have it.)

it was 12 watts and a 15 and serious reverb. The guy that makes them is a surf nut, but I found this amp to be pretty dang sweet. If I hadn't already sprung for a tone king imperial, I'd have bought it...

I own a 93 or 4 blues deluxe. it has been a good, good amp. Our other guitar player uses it now (since I got the tone king and I've collected two music man amps) it is a modern pcb amp, but at 40 watts it is pretty friggin loud and sounds pretty good clean and good growly. Since you are good at electronics... it would probably be a good tool for you.
Karl Teten

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would first have the PR given the Stokes and Paul C mods then slide it into a reissue PR cab. Plywood baffel cut for a 12". I would go with a 15W Celestion alnico blue. Wink
Rick Towne

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Blues Jr, et al.... Reply with quote

Brian:

I have a new and virtually unused BJr. that I got a Buffalo Bros last fall with an expiring store credit. It sounded much better than a somewhat sterile sounding Blues Deluxe they had as well. I haven't used it because my Allen Old Flame 1x12 works very well for low volume home use. You're welcome to try it out for a while if we can arrange a meeting.

Re the Princeton Reverb, I've had a 1x10 SF and a 1x12 BF and didn't really bond with either one. I just find the 1x10 sound too small, and I've had a Jim Kelley, a Musicman and several other good quality models over the years. I've also found there is a real trade off in the smaller cabinet size. The 2xEL84 set up in the BJr. works better than if it was 2x6L6, as it seems to make the amp more focused. The 'fat' switch is also helpful.

My OF works well because it is in a combo cabinet that was originally a 2x10. As Jim/Silverface will probably affirm, the large cabinets on the 1x12 Holland Little Jimis (I've had 2) are a big part of the sound of that amp, which is a very loud clean non-MV amp.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: