Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

clarence's unique tone- new devices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickhouston

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: clarence's unique tone- new devices Reply with quote

i remember hearing them play a couple times right after farther along was out. clarence had something, which might have been an actual leslie, that would make his guitar's tone very unique, it was before phase shift was invented, and i am interested to know if anyone has discovered a modern effects item that will create this sound. sort of like the chestnut mare effect late in the song. i have read of a Digitech Rotating Speakers effect, but not tried it. a regular phase shift or chorus doesn't cut it at all. interested to see what some of you might suggest-
thanks-
rick
Silverface

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence used a Fender Vibratone powere by his Super Reverb - which is a Leslie-like cabinet with a crossover meant especially for guitar (also marketed under the Leslie 16 badge, since Leslie was owned by CBS). It has a 10" speaker pointing into a rotating foam baffle, that "throws" the sound out to the sides, giving the Leslie "Doppler" effect. That's what phasers and choruses generally try to emulate.

The crossover is essential to the sound - it sends the highs/lows to the guitar amp speakers and the mids only to the Vibratone, creating a huge sound. Part of the effect is also "ramping", or controlling the speed of rotation with a footswitch.

IMO the discontinued Korg G4 gets the best imitation-Vibratone sound. the H&K Rotosphere is also very good. For slow speed only, the old Arion SCH-1 chorus (not the SCZ-1!) does a nice job. And avoid the Danelectro Rocky Road completely.

I had one and sold it to a forum member - used it at several jams, and it really nails Clarence's "swirly" tone. I just didn't have room for it - they are NOT small.

If you buy one, make SURE you get the crossover - if it's missing, buy one. It's essential.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: