Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarence Playing an Ovation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogbear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Clarence Playing an Ovation Reply with quote

While going through the "There is a Season" book that came with the anthology, I came across this picture that I don't remember ever seeing before. It is also the only picture I have seen of Clarence playing an Ovation. There is also a picture of Clarence in a green vest with red trim that I also don't recall seeing before. It's a two page picture that I can join together and post if anyone wants to see it.

bossaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find this picture and a little discussion on the ovation guitar HERE.

this photo was also featured on the back of the Byrds 'Sanctuary III' album on Sundazed i believe.
rickhouston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: ovation difficult to play Reply with quote

see how he has to put extra effort into just holding the darn guitar with its rounded backside. i never liked ovations only for this reason. it would be fine if you have a concave chest, or maybe for a curvy woman !! clarence doesn't look comfortable or natural playing it, he frequently looked down at his hands etc, but here it is extra awkward.
mwhite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: thats funny - Reply with quote

LOLOL I agree !

i never liked ovations only for this reason. it would be fine if you have a concave chest,
Dogbear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was over at a friendís house this weekend and he offered me his slim line Ovation to play. Now I'm not shaped quite like I was 25 years ago, so combine the round back with the round belly and it almost ended up on the floor two or three times before I gave it back. Embarassed

Standing with a strap attached, I would look much worse than this picture of Clarence.............................
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger is always enamoured with things high-tech...so it's not surprising that they wound up endorsing (at least by using them live) Ovation. In one of the live concerts he tells the audience that the guitars were designed by computers (as if that were a good thing) Cool
mwhite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Roger is always enamoured with things high-tech...so it's not surprising that they wound up endorsing (at least by using them live) Ovation. In one of the live concerts he tells the audience that the guitars were designed by computers (as if that were a good thing) Cool

Shocked Hah !

-.-
Madfret

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hanging around backstage at the Music Inn in the Berkshires once before a show, where Clarence was being pressed by an Ovation salesman. Clarence listened for a while and very politely said, "Thank you, I think I'll just stick with Martin..." Sometime after I saw them in Albany at the Palace Theater and he and Roger were playing the Ovations. That night Roger used the line he often did, "Woody Guthrie once said everything'll be made of plastic. Now they're making guitars out of it......"
bossaroo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool story. did you talk with Clarence?

I wonder what the deal was with ovation... maybe Roger signed for all the byrds, including Clarence.
Madfret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't talk to him. Man, I'd have plenty to ask him about now........ I was standing about a foot away just eavesdropping. We did talk to Gene Parsons who was goofing around handing out snuff to people.

That was, actually, quite a show: Officer Obie, the local sheriff immortalized in "Alice's Restaurant" came on stage and tried to make them end the set on time. The place went nuts and the band kept right on playing - with the power turned off! After about 5 minutes the management relented, threw the switch, and the music just roared back on!! I distinctly recall Clarence shrugging his shoulder and pulling away when Obie grabbed his arm and tried to stop him from playing. This was during 8 Miles High, of course....

Afterwards Skip was talking to a few of us and said that he Obie was lucky they didn't throw some switch on him as he was messing with their amps trying to turn them off during the set.

My friend and I later crashed the Byrds' dressing room at the Palace in Albany and Skip tossed out out.......It was the dead of winter and they were drinking Cold Duck in the room. Not real glamorous......

A friend of mine who went to Chapel Hill during those years told me he caught a regional commuter flight in Caroline and the Byrds climbed aboard with their instruments. It was like a 10 passenger plane and he enjoyed just being in close quarters with them......
bossaroo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great stories. I love it.
isenhour

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And does anyone know what became of CW's Ovation? No doubt they were given to the band for promotion. I've seen lots of photos of them in their sporty Ovation. Probably all taken at the same show.
Silverface

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They played the Ovations at quite a few shows. One was at the Santa Monica Civic - I asked Clarence about it at one point and he said they were given the things and actually kind of liked them, as they were some of the first with onboard electronics...less feedback problems. He also said the necks were "quick".

Tony Rice used an Ovation on part of one of his albums...might have been Manzanita, I don't recall...and said that he'd challenge anyone to tell the difference in tone between the recorded Ovation and his Martins. He said he'd never say which was which just to make a point.

I have to admit I don't like the rounded bodies, but they DO mic really well, and a combination of the onboard electronics and a good stage mic can make one sound really, really good...and the necks ARE fast, almost more like electric guitar necks. I had to play one at a bluegrass show once when my Mossman didn't get delivered in time by a tech, and was stunned by the soundboard recording I heard later.
Muttcaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverface wrote:
I had to play one at a bluegrass show once when my Mossman didn't get delivered in time by a tech, and was stunned by the soundboard recording I heard later.
Same here except that I'd snapped all my G-strings (rough saddle edge on my D-2Cool and a friend handed me his Ovie. The show was being taped and I heard the A/B on video. I don't have a problem holding them, though. Being short, I like the way the body rolls back a little- makes it easier on my right arm.

Just got a Composite Acoustics GX model last week- it's like an Ovation all grown up. Very nice guitar.
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They feel strange to hold, the plastic aspect is a bit disturbing, and live they don't have the lower end of a Martin, but for studio recording, the darn things sound really good. I've used Ovations (both standard stringing and hi-strung) on dozens of record albums over the years, and the sound is consistent, even, and requires very little equalization work by the engineer.

At home, I play a Martin.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: