Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreadnaught guitar preferences
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Dreadnaught guitar preferences Reply with quote

Question for all the flatpicking afficiados

What type and brand of Dreadnaught acoustic do you prefer and why? Mahogany? Rosewood? Martin? Collings? Bourgeois?

Just starting to get really interested and like to hear folks opinions...Thanks!
Mur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a D-18CW aficionado.
Steve-o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer is OLD. From that point on, it's all in the playing, feeling, and listening. I played a batch of new Martins, Taylors, and Breedloves this weekend, and they all sounded quite stiff and played uncomfortably. The best sounding and playing thing at the shop was a $1,000 Epiphone 000 size! So go figure. Of course the other factor is $$.
Mur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, mine was stiff for a couple months, maybe more.
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like mahogany for some reason. I think Martin's D-18V, GE, and A models can all be great in different ways, when you run across an exceptional piece. Have heard great things about the D-18CW, but never played one. I suspect those are among the best Martin makes. Beyond that, there's a whole world of boutique makers, which gets way too overwhelming for me. Sticking to the tried and true, I've played a couple great Collings D1A's, and would love to play a varnish or a CW-18 model. Haven't been impressed with a D1 yet. Santa Cruz makes a "Prewar" model, with a mahogany D option, that sounds pretty interesting. Haven't played one, but with their reputation for a light build, I'd like to. Of course, Clarence was known for his 50's D-18 sound with the Colonels, so I'm glad our own Bryan Kimsey turned me on to this beat up '58:
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lookin D-18!

Questions/Observations...

I hear and read that people claim that new Martins need time to 'open up' and are real stiff when new. Then I read threads where folks compare the high end D-18A with the D-18GE and claim they hear a big difference..

Most of this puzzles me since a) I recently played both of those guitars and wasn't really all that impressed with either of them... b) and was highly impressed with the tone and playability of brand new Bourgeois Country Boy Dreadnaught, Collings D1A, and some Goodall's which sounded fantastic, and even the modern looking but fabulously built and rich toned R Taylors...

So if these other boutique builders can produce new instruments that sound great brand new...why apparently didn't I get the same feeling from the high end Martins. Almost everyone of them that I picked up to played and sounded dull compared to the above? And if all these new guitars will 'open-up' will the others continue to improve and continue to sound better than the high end Martins?
Steve-o

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatandpotatas- That '58 doesn't look beat up, it just had a DPO who strapped on insane scratch plates! Other than that, it looks great. Brian: "Bourgeois Country Boy Dreadnaught, Collings D1A, and some Goodall's which sounded fantastic, and even the modern looking but fabulously built and rich toned R Taylors (sounded great right out of the box)"- this is a major question I have often wondered about too. And I wonder if these other guitars age, mellow, and develop the way a Martin does. Maybe we should ask the question of those major experts over on the unofficial Martin site?
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always loved rosewood...but I'm lookin' for a good mahogany D-18 style guitar. I'm a Bourgeois fan, so I see a Country Boy in my future.

Last edited by Matt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Mur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool guitar meatandpotatas ..am I seeing rosewood on the side? .. streaks look rosewood. Anyway, sure has a Clarency vibe.

Brian, its the adirondack thats stiff, but it breaks-in soon enough.

Quote:

Maybe we should ask the question of those major experts over on the unofficial Martin site?

HEE! ..they should call that place "The D-18GE Lover's Forum"!
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the "my D-18GE is better than your D-18A" forum..lots of talk over there about hide glue and popsicle sticks..... Question Shocked Very Happy
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mur wrote:

Brian, its the adirondack thats stiff, but it breaks-in soon enough.

OK...then how come the others brands that are new and have Adirondack spruce tops sound good brand new? That was my point.
Mur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause they aren't a Martin. Laughing
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then...this is what I like
http://www.pantheonguitars.com/guitars/guitars_PRO-cntryboy.htm

Mur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get it, drop by -I'll relic it for you. Laughing
Dogbear

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a Taylor 614 CE, a Martin 000 28H Custom and a few lesser species. I ordered a (Wayne) Henderson D-28 style with Brazilian rosewood back and sides and a red spruce top a little over six months ago. Since the waiting list is around 10 years (plus or minus), I hope to survive long enough to take delivery. Shocked My friend, who lives up by Wayne, has an OM style Henderson with Brazilian and itís fantastic. Do a search on Wayne; he is a very interesting individual. Quite a lot on you tube of this Galax Virginia Crooked Road Luthier. Wayne made two guitars for Eric Clapton and Allen St. John wrote a book about the experience called "Clapton's Guitar". Wayne signed my copy for me last year when I visited his shop and it is a book I go back to when I want to remember when craftsman were really craftsman.

Doc Watson playing a Henderson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqjFT65KAA0&mode=related&search=

Wayne Henderson & Friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsY22tec7Gk
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: