Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAB - Tulsa County Solo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: TAB - Tulsa County Solo Reply with quote

MarkT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on this tune for a while and I can't get it. The lick right after the first bend is killing me. Any advice on tackling this solo? This thing is killing me.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it is not easy to master. You have to have near perfect hybrid pick and fingers (middle and ring fingers) to get close. Mur is the only one I've heard that can get close to really nailing this...and it's no surprise that his right hand picking technique is great.

http://www.clarencewhiteforum.com/mp3/MursTulsa.mp3
MarkT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that clip of Mur playing it and it ticks me off! Evil or Very Mad I'm not even getting into the ballpark. The opening trill around the D shape is stopping me before I even get going. Keeping the bend activated and working that trill is just not happening. When it moves to B I have a better feel for the lick, but until I get the first half. Sad

When is someone going to do a full fledged video or book on Clarence style bender and electric playing? I suck so bad at it, I'm ready to just become a fan and give up on his style. I'm much better at Hillbilly and Travis picking.
Drake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned a lot from watch/listening to Mur. Still can't play like him.

I think he is busy making Storm III.
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been picking in the style of Chet Atkins since the late 50's - early 60's so that goes along way to getting the right hand in shape for tackling Clarence hybrid pick and fingers...
MarkT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the notes on the E string, just can't fit them in. Mad
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes those are THE ones that are tough... Are you using a slow downer like Amazing SLow Downer? That helps alot.
MarkT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looping it slowed down in WMP. Maybe I need to really cut it down into micro phrases.
john bodle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: tulsa county blue Reply with quote

I had trouble with the exact same part of that tune , got it pretty close by using a slow down machine and working it to death ( and now off to the shrink to deal with my obsessive/ compulsive issues.......)with clarences playing I run into things like this a lot( alabama jubilee comes to mind- the part where it stops- really synchopated).His playing was so full of little nuances, that make all the difference in his leads, that it is lifetime study to even get close. Here's something cool though ,Nobody has ever been around a bender in the part of the country where I live ( northern minnesota) and I actually played my 1st electric gig @ month ago ( I started working with a guy who does a lot of gram parsons/ byrds, and that bender is just super on that material of course)and the response for this type of guitar playing was incredible! I played the tulsa county solo as a demonstration for about 4 guitar players and they were flabbergasted!!!I still have people coming up to me and asking where , how and why!!!!one guy said " It's about time somebody started doing stuff off those byrds albums" How cool!!It seems like this type of guitar playing really nails people that are looking for the americana/roots country alternative.I do know this, when you start working that bender, people start paying attention real quick for some reason.
Don Miller

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a comment from the guy who is our primo guitar player in town..this comes from a local weekly musicians news letter and was in response to a poll about favorite albums..I dont think he'll mind my posting this here...

Quote:
The Byrds "Ballad Of Easy Rider": the late Clarence White shows off the B bender on "Tulsa County Blue", I double dare ya' to learn that solo. Yer fingers will be beating the crap out of each other.

The last time I saw him, he was playing the solo..on a strat..without a stringbender...and he had it down better than I do....

We always get a good reaction from the musicians in the crowd when we do that tune

As an aside, I play the tune in D to accomodate my vocal range..it has the effect of eliminating all those troublesome little notes on the E string...

I do, however play with a guy who gets all antsy when he has to play straight rhythm guitar and he keeps wanting to slip in all sorts of things that dont fit....to the point where my second line in the second verse has become "stick to the rhythm..dammit" Weve had the converstion about 50 times...last week he wanted to drop out of the rhythm guitar slot, pick up his harp and play some blues licks....grrrrr...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: