Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarence's Amp on "Avalon Ballroom Recording"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd in TN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Clarence's Amp on "Avalon Ballroom Recording" Reply with quote

I really dig this recording! Clarence seemed to really shine on this one. I've noticed that his tone sounds like a more-cranked version of his Nashville West tone, very thick and saturated, somewhat tube-compressed. His tone doesn't change throughout the show, no Fuzz, no Vibratone, etc.... I really think he was using the Vibrolux Reverb.

The date is 11-2-68 and It kind of makes since that he wouldn't have the Silverface amps (Super Reverb and Dual Showman Reverb) yet as they had only been out for probably less than a year. Anybody know??

Todd in TN
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an old thread that went un-answered...

Sounds to me like it's either a cranked Showman or Super Reverb....seems too powerful for a Vibrolux Reverb...could be wrong though! LOL
Drake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super or Showman. CW was a rockstar at this point, and I've never seen a picture or heard a sound from a Byrds stage that didn't sound like big volume and big iron. Plus, being owned by Columbia (CBS) and using rented backlines, they very well could have had big silverface drip edges in '68 the moment they came off the production line in Fullerton.

Last edited by Drake on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Silverface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the silverface drip-edge models were actually available as early as July '67, so I'm almost sure it was a Showman and/or SR
Johnny Isaacs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Showman to me. I love that recording and the Palladium recording.

Johnny Isaacs
philgerard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to the Avalon recording as I type...it is great!
I apoligize in advance for this being just a little bit off topic but I hope you find it interesting.
A friend of mine runs Everything Audio in San Fran and is one of the preferred house audio co's for The Regency which was the Avalon Ballroom in the 60's.
Here's the Regency (Avalon) website:
http://www.regencycentersf.com/grand.html

When I was out there, he took me to a job he was doing there for a dental school graduation which seemed so odd for me as I'm conjuring thoughts of The Pranksters, Dead, Byrds, Airplane, FBB, etc. It's in an older granite building downtown,
In addition to the Avalon Room(Regency), there's the The Lodge which is an incredible room with vaulted ceilings, etc. He had his band's CD release party there recently but I didn't make it.
I thought you might like seeing it today!
Phil
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: