Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vibratone Question for "Silverface"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd in TN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Vibratone Question for "Silverface" Reply with quote

I read where you put a Weber Cali 10 in your vibratone and helped the volume. Did you use a 4 ohm or 8 ohm? Any problems with magnet clearance in the cab? It seems like 8 ohm would be safer but I also don't want to end up with less volume from the vibratone compared to the amp speakers. I use the original crossover setup with a Vibrolux Reverb, Super Reverb, or Princeton Reverb.

Also, should I just get a 12" while I'm changing? Didn't Clarence have an 8 ohm 12"? I'm guessing it would clear the back side of the cab? And last, are there any other more efficient speakers you would recommend?

Thanks!
Todd in TN
Silverface

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vibratone crossover handles the impedance mismatch, and you need to use a 4-ohm speaker for proper operation. It will self-balance just fine with Fenders that use 2-to-8 ohm speaker rigs (Clarence used a Super Reverb with 2 ohms; I've used a Twin, Pro Reverb, Vibroverb and Deluxe Reverb and they all drove the Leslie about the same). Clarence said his was just a stock Vibratone, so it would have had the crappy 10" Utah.

The Cal 10 fits perfectly - no clearance problems and the mounting holes line up better than the stock Utah for the bracket that aligns the baffle. As far as efficiency, the Cal is the best combination of efficiency and power handling in a high-headroom speaker (which is what you want in the Vibratone/Leslie.). I did try others - a vanilla Eminence ceramic, a Jensen P10Q (original - no headroom. Great at low volume, but no ability to handle volume at all), a reissue C10Q (yuck), a custome-spec Holland 10 made by Eminence (next best to the Cal). The oither thing is the Cal is inexpensive compared to other high-powered speakers. An Eminence Neo might work, but since I know what the Cal does I'd just recommend it - it works perfectly and there are NO issues.

If you change to a 12" you are looking at major surgery - the bracket has to be modifieed or a new one made to fit the mounting holes of the 12" speaker, since both the speaker and baffle bracket use the same bolts. you also simply lose some of the sound, as the baffle is sized well for a 10 and is undersized for a 12 IMO. By the time you do all that, you have the mids going to a 12 and the rest going to the amp speakers...and not a significant difference considering the sound STILL has to go through the baffle! Since the 10" Cal stays clean even with a Twin, I see no reason to do anything else. And I wish I hadn't sold mine to Brian, darn it - but I needed the $$ and he'll use it far more than I've been able to recently.

PS sorry for the late reply - I missed your post. My bad!
Todd in TN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I appreciate your response. Since I posted the message, I emailed Ted and he recommended a cali 10 4ohm with alum cover. I went ahead and ordered one along with a 12F150 for my Princeton Reverb. Looking forward to getting them.

I've been recording the Vibratone lately and I've found that it really wakes up when you put a mic on each side and pan the two tracks hard left and right. It sounds huge and effected but never cheesy like alot of pedals. I don't know why more people aren't using these things.

You can get a perfect Clarence tone if you put the Vibratone on slow and use your bridge and neck pickups together. It's that sound you hear on "All The Things", "It's all over now Baby Blue" and "Chestnut Mare" on the EP video.

Thanks again!
Todd in TN
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: