Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moved to discuss merits of Crosby etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure David will be thrilled to learn that you think he was a lesser talent than Michael Clarke, Kevin Kelley, Gene Parsons, John York and Skip Battin. This forum question has been quiet for 2 years but you've certainly thrown it open again with such a provocative assertion! Me? I think Crosby's a monster talent and his contribution to the Byrds immense. For that matter, I like ALL the Byrds, of course.
Murr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Mur... I agree with what you said about Gene Clark.. my point is I just can't imagine any of these Byrds songs with McGuinn's distinctive Rickenbacker. They just wouldn't have been the same...for me anyway...

edit: I've been trying to make my comments....by keeping in mind the band members' contribution to the Byrds (considering the entire Byrds' existance as a band)..not the individuals' careers as a whole or who's better than who statements..

When I think of the Byrds....the first thing that pops into my mind is hearing Mr. Tambourine coming out of transistor radio speakers in 1965. I'll never forget it.. It immediately conjures up 12 string Rickenbackers, granny glasses and beautiful vocal harmonies. There were other groups that had great vocals\ and harmony too...for me it's the 12 String Rick and more specifically McGuinn's unique mastery of it with his banjo roll picking. Take that away and there were no Byrds... IMHO... That contribution and all the rest of the 12 string contributions on other Byrds songs and his ability to keep re-inventing the group with new members...put McGuinn at the top of my MVB (Most Valuable Byrd) list...

Which I thought of incidently, by trying to assess Crosby's importance and contribution to the Byrds...

I totally agree about McGuinn. But vocally, there wasn't anything like the original Byrds. CSN was similar, but only because Stills had a range and timbre very similar to Clark's. And, of course, Crosby was in both bands.
MarkT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite vocal is Parsons on Tulsa County and while I like the Byrds, without Clarence, they aren't getting into my cd player that much.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: