Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What amp are YOU playing through these days?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had or played throuh a Vox in my life, but I really want one. The AC15 is still larger than I would like, but for the price I may get one.
barry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: amps Reply with quote

hello.. i would post a pic or two but don't know how to attach it.. anyhow.. i have had every tube amp known to man LOL always loved the fenders.. deluxe and super !! i ran a super that was modified for a time... sounded GREAT but weighed 101 pounds !! i am now using(on stage) a peavey studio chorus 210. i buy every one i can find cheap for backup. they are a great and very versatile map !! my large stage and recording rig.. has a rack mounted 100 watt marshall amp chassis and super reverb chassis plus alesis quadreverb in a rack(along with furman power conditioner) and a marshall 4-12 bottom with celestions. i play a fender strat and my homemade tele's. depending on whether i'm playing blues or country. i bought my boy a zoom fire 36 for playing. it has all the bells and whistles and even does a great job of mimicking a 12 string.he plays one of my tele's. with a "kill button" mod.
N77 GMG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
It's my first post on this site so I hope I'm asking this in the right section. I was wondering if any of you were familar with the DiMarzio Virtual Hot T Bridge pick-ups? I've just started using it on my Bender to cut out the hum but I find the thing overdriving my amp slightly (DeVille 4-10) & especially when I use the compressor which is a Keeley. I have the DiMarzios on the other pick ups too which I don't mind the sound off.
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: 1963 Fender Double Showman Reply with quote

My latest home amp is my 1963 Fender Double Showman with 7355 power tubes. Probably because it is too heavy for my old back to haul around. I bought this amp and restored it to its original glory. It had the original JBL D-130F speakers inside, Upon examination one exhibits some surround cracking. I may get Woody Wodell to recone these. I had another a pair (16 ohm) that I got from a pair of old speaker cabinets that belonged to my father-in-law. They are pristine, but my brother-in-law had them at his dorm. He said one of his frat buddies had blown one. Upon examination it was a loose dust cap. I doped around both to reinforce them. The original F speakers have a silver tape or reinforcement. This amp sounds incredible. With a tube reverb and tube screamer it has the best blues tone I have heard.
Not a giging amp though. If I were more computer savy I would post some pictures. Got to love those fender amps, and Leo the Man.
Lefty
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CWf has a pretty impressive amp list...

Last edited by Matt on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaveF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: AC 15 Reply with quote

I've had an AC-15 for a couple of years, I found that to get a great sound with it, you still have to have the volume up there and well it gets pretty loud. I bought a Vibrolux as well and my favourite sound is both together. Of course I am packing 2 amps then. When I do a smaller gig I just take the Vibrolux.
Mykkus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still mainly using my greer thunderbolt 30. Same amp is on tour with Alex Weeden for Miranda Lambert.

great tones..Sort of Matchless/Vox inspired.

Though I've got the bug for some fender clean tones again. Maybe on the hunt to add something.
Jerry Hayes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days I've quit using my MusicMan HD-212 One Fifty for guitar and use it mainly for pedal steel with a cord running to both channels from my stereo Goodrich volume pedal.......

For guitar my main amp now is a Peavey Classic 30 all tube little beast. It sounds great with my bender Tele so that's all that counts.....JH in Va.
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days I'm using a 65 Amps London in to a 2x12 65 Amps cab with a Celestion Alnico Blue and G12. It's a Vox AC-15 (ef-86 fed) type circuit on one side and an 18 watt Marshall circuit on the other. Both sound really great, imo. The tremolo on the Marshall side is really lush and can go from sweet to swampy.

Not a lot of clean headroom, but it's great for what I'm doing these days.

http://www.65amps.com/amps.html

STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (new) 71 Pro Reverb is my new favorite. Fisrt time I have owned one, but I really like the way it warms up at 4.25. It had a miss-match of eminence and celestion vintage 30 speakers when I bought it, but I added a pair of JBL D120 grey frames. They sound good, but I may go back to a different miss-match of Webers. This amp is kind of a mutt, and I think it demands them. Great Tele amp but sounds good with my 335 as well.
Lefty
Midnightrider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Deluxe Reverb, Hot Rod Deluxe, Victoria, Z, This amp beats them all.
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice...a friend of mine has a really early space tone. It's painted red and black rather than having a tweed covering!

I almost bought a Swart a while back when I was looking to buy a 5E3 type amp. I went with a Clark Beaufort instead.
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: 65 Vibrolux reverb Reply with quote

Well I am not formally playing through it yet, but I bought a 65 Vibrolux reverb. I went to visit the post office a in an older part of town on lunch. I stopped by to visit an older established Pawn shop for a look. They had a rather worn looking Vibrolux Reverb in the music room portion. I inquired to the owner about the price, and he responded 800.00, so I was interested at that point. I decided to lock in a deal, and wiggled him down to 725.00 plus tax. I put cash down to lock in the deal and I picked it up that afternoon.
Upon examination the chassis was "Unmolested". The cabinet has some wood showing in the upper corners, but not bad. The serial number says it is a 1965. The baffle board had been changed to a 1-12, and had a EV SRO with the big hat box magnet. I will need to correct that. All of the tranformers are original, and working well. The amp had been serviced by a local shop that i consider "tube pullers". The pots are still rather dirty, and the knobs were changed to something from an unknown origin. ? I have the parts to restore it for minor expense, so I am pretty happy. Please let me know your feeling concerning speakers.
regards,
Lefty
Raybob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lefty, that's a major score! You can get a baffle board from Mojotone for that or make one yourself if you know how to do the grill cloth. Average price last month on ebay for that amp is $1800.

http://codekinesis.mine.nu/price/list_history

My current amp now is a Vibrolux clone that I built. Sounds great with two Weber 10F125s.
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice amp Ray.
Mine is actually a 1966 I determinined.
I am still working on it, and hope to make a new baffle board for two 10s tomorrow. This amp had so much dust on it that I don't think it ever had a cover. The cabinet cleaned up pretty well, and I left the original tolex intack. I have 2- 10s from a 1968 Super that I believe are CTS, but I am not sure. If these don't work out I will buy some webers, I guess.
I could tell even playing through the SRO that this amp is going to be a good one.
Many Cheers for this Christmas Season.
Lefty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: