Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vintage vs. new Vibrolux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: vintage vs. new Vibrolux Reply with quote

I've been looking at the Vibrolux reverbs lately. The new ones look good, but I've found some vintage (late 60's) ones on ebay for around the same price. Is there a difference in sound quality between old and new? It would be cool to have an old one, but is it worth paying a little more, or are the new ones just as good? Thanks - Justin
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new ones are a different amp design than the old ones. It'a not a bad sounding amp but definitely different. The new ones break up at lower volume, and are noisier, different reverb and tremolo... PCB construction etc.

If you can get a late 60s for the same money, I'd go that route. Although you may have to sink some more money (initially) into it for new tubes, cap job, unless all that has been done already. In the end you'll have a great sounding, more reliable, easy to repair amp....that will only increase in value...
PeeWee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 100%. Totally different things; like comparing apples to oranges. If you can swing it, find an old Blackface or very early Silverface model. One of the best amps I ever owned was a '71 Vibrolux Reverb and still regret parting with that one 25 years later.

I ended up with a killer '66 Deluxe Reverb after looking for a good VR 18 years ago. It's probably the best sounding amp I own and is without a doubt the most versitile. If you can't locate a VR that makes you shout out loud, then the DR is a good second option. You can't go wrong with either amp, IMO
Silverface

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As peewee and Brian said, apples vs oranges. Only the name is close to the same. I'd avoid the so-called "reissue" and look for a silverface, although prices are really high. A better choice might be a SF Pro Reverb - they haven't yet hit the high-water mark pricewise and I like them much better for Clarence-ish Tele sounds.
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a VR that's definately not "cheap", but seems reasonable...I don't know the market well though, I could be wrong.

http://www.tradingmusician.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=5839

It's at a local store here in Seattle, and it's a '77 at $1250. I don't know the chronology on circuitry changes, but I don't believe these had the master or push-pull volume knob. I could investigate the amp further if anyone is seriously interested.
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverface wrote:
As peewee and Brian said, apples vs oranges. Only the name is close to the same. I'd avoid the so-called "reissue" and look for a silverface, although prices are really high. A better choice might be a SF Pro Reverb - they haven't yet hit the high-water mark pricewise and I like them much better for Clarence-ish Tele sounds.

Pro Reverb (old style not new) is a great amp... 2x12's makes a nice fat Tele sound...great for a Rickenbacker 12 also
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lucked into a 1966 Vibrolux Reverb over the holidays.
I had just sold another amp, so I happened to have the money to buy this one. Not mint by any means, but not too bad. I have to say that hands down this is the best sounding amp that I ever played my Tele through.
You instantly hear the sounds of Clarence when plugged in.
That amp is just made to go with those single coils. I have 71 and 68 Pro reverbs that sound great, but something is special about that Vibrolux. Now I realize what all the buzz is about.
Lefty
Silverface

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the Vibrolux - nice score!

For some reason I've never run across a Vibrolux Reverb that knocked me out unless it was heavily modified (i.e. Warford's). They are just a shade on the anemic side to my ears; a DR at the same volume level is pushing much harder and has a "driving" sound; a Pro Reverb at the same level runs a bit cleaner with a stronger attack (same for the BF Vibroverb and Super Reverb). But I think the thing that is lacking in the Vibrolux - and again, this is just my opinion of how it reacts with my particular way of playing - is in the mids. It has that Twin-like beefy bottom and twangy (and icepicky if you're not careful) highs, albeit at a lower volume level. Then again, Twins are not high on my list either (the "Don Rich Tone"! so many Tele players love gives me a splitting headache...).

OTOH, a Vibrolux with a Les Paul, 335, Gretsch 6120 - THAT works for me as the 'buckers have some beef.

I just did a cap job on my '68 Drip-edge Pro Reverb, a weird semi-BF with an AA165 tube chart, original adjustable bias, removed suppression caps from the power tubes and a '68 Bassman output transformer No extra holes and it looks like it may have actually have been built that way (everything dates '67 or '68, so it's very, strange). I've had it for years and changed the series filter cps from 70uf to 100uf (pretty much SOP nowadays), finally installed new preamp bypass caps and "blueprinted" the resistors, balancing the phase inverter with 1% resistors and a Mullard 12AT7. Wow. Made me put the Vibroverb and Holland nice for a while.

Sidebar - anyone with a Pro Reverb or Bandmaster that's been modded at all should go to a Bassman OT - it's a popular mod,and I know some vintage-police types who will do it even if they have to drill holes. Turns them into absolute monsters - like a much. much warmer and rounder sounding Twin, and the volume difference is imperceptible.
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I am sure all are a bit different, but anemic my Vibrolux is not. It has all the Mids that I could ask for, and is the best sounding amp with a Telecaster that I have ever played, period. It simply nails the Clarence studio sound ("Tulsa County" on 2.25 and "Oil In My Lamp at 4.00). It is as loud as my 68 Pro Reverb. I have twins (3), Pro reverbs (2), Bandmasters (2) and Showman (3) and this amp has them all beat with a Telecaster.
I have not used it in a live setting, so the others might be better suited depending on the venue. I am unsure of the speaker type in the amp, but they came out of a 68 Super Reverb. I am not sure if they were stock Fender though.
Every time I saw Warford play he was using the Vibrolux atop what appeared to be a silverface Pro reverb or Twin. Did he use these together, or with a switcher?
Lefty
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lefty:

Actually, I never used any other amp besides my Vibrolux on stage (except when with Orbison and Everly's, where I used the amps they had provided).

What you probably saw was a slave amp for the steel guitar (so I could hear clearly on my side of the stage what the steel player on the other side was playing).

Bob
STEELEFT1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Your sound is the benchmark we all shoot for.
Thank you. The times I saw you there was a Steel player also.
regards,
Lefty
Mike Beck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wants to work on the new Vibrolux!!
I can't blame em'
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: