Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos Of Clarence's Roy Noble Guitar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve-o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian- It's definitely the Noble on that show. You mentioned the binding- strangely, I remember Roy saying that it was a wood called "Caballo Blanco" (don't know why that stuck in the fading memory...). For information straight from the horse's mouth, go to Roy Noble's site. I'd love to have one of his guitars, but nowadays he's a little out of my price range. You know those things we'd all like to go back and do over....? I'm pretty sure he built a twelve string in '66 for my friend Ron for $300.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what his price range is?. Sounds like from his website, that his wife and son do building. I wonder how much involvement he has these days?
Mur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian has a point about the back. I've been watching Guitar Workshop and am trying hard to match up the woods ..top pieces on #69 don't match up, maybe due to aging, but on the Workshop show, and live Muleskinner vid, we get glimpses of the back and so far it looks to be all dark woods. Am I being paranoid? HEE!
Steve-o

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There don't seem to be any prices on Roy's site right now- as I recall, a while back his Dreadnought was starting at $7,000. BTW, there is a picture in there (not a very clear one) of Clarence's guitar.
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article by our own Bryan Kimsey ....contradicting Noble's claims about the large soundhole D-28....

http://www.flatpick.com/Pages/Featured_Artist/Tony2.html

http://www.roynoble.net/

and some nice pics of newer Nobles

http://gregboyd.com/instruments.html?family=Guitars&sound=acoustic&maker=Roy%20Noble&in_stock=sold
jmraia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dad made drawings of the mechanism he designed (I should still have them around somewhere - maybe it would be interesting to some of the folks here if I could find and post them - let me know).

Bob,
Were these drawings ever posted anywhere? If not, would you be willing to post them here?
Thank you,
Mike Robbins
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

I made a brief search a while back and didn't find them, but I'll try a more thorough search, and if I find them, I have no problem posting them.

Bob
jmraia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Thank you so much. I am a big fan of your music, and I have been fascinated with the bender design that you and your Dad developed ever since I saw the photos and read your narrative. I would like to try to build one of these if you do not object.
Thanks again,
Mike
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: bender drawings found Reply with quote

Mike:

I looked again, a bit more carefully this time, and found the drawings - 5 pages in all. I have scanned them at 300 dpi, and reduced them to fairly compressed jpegs in grayscale (luckily with no obvious artifact present), such that they are each around 500 k in size.

I will e-mail them to whoever might best be able to post them on the site.

I have no objection to anyone building a bender mechanism using these. Be aware that the central parts (not shown in the drawings) in both my guitar and Clarence's (Marty's) were Fender parts - the sharping/flatting pieces from either a Pedal 400 or Pedal 800 steel guitar (cut off to not protrude too far out the back of the body, and re-drilled) and the "fingers" to which the string(s) attach.

Anyway, hopefully, someone will be able to post the drawings on the Forum...

Any volunteers to post these? Brian? Murr?

Bob
Harold W.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I can post them. Check your PMs for the e-mail address.
Harold W.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Bob. Reduced size versions are here:

http://www.lindaronstadt.com/files/bob/warford/bender_drawings.html

You can view (and download) Bob's original full sized scans by clicking on the smaller versions.
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob and Harold Cool Very Happy
jmraia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Thank you for doing this. You are a true national treasure, both as a direct link to the origin and development of these devices and as a master musician who was in a unique position to continue and expand upon the work that Clarence and Gene Parsons initiated in this area. Your willingness to take the time to share your knowledge and experience is deeply appreciated by all of us. I keep hoping that someone will write a book specifically about Clarence and you guys. Writers like John Einarson and David Meyer have written books on Gram Parsons/The Byrds/FBB, etc. which have included many references and anecdotes about all of you, so it doesn't appear that it would be that difficult to research. As an amatuer historian on the subject, I have compiled every piece of information that I have come across since first hearing "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" in 1970 (I was a U.S. Marine in Vietnam until late 1969). I am sure that there are others like me out there who would be happy to share what we have/know with a writer willing to tackle a book. Are you aware of anyone with an interest in this?
Thank you again,
Mike Robbins
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

Thanks for the kind comments. I've always been happy to add any information I might have about anything I know anything about, if anyone happened to be interested (terrible sentence, but you know what I mean).

I was lucky enough to have been around at the right place and the right time to see some very interesting music history in the making, and even luckier to have had a chance to participate in some of it.

I've talked with John Einarson (whose books I always enjoy, and whose depth of research always impresses me), as well as others, and the message I derive from these conversations is that the pure economics of writing and marketing books requires a topic of relatively widespread interest, to be a practical use of time and effort.

Certainly, there are very dedicated and able folks out there collecting and organizing information about the history of much of the music scene I was involved in (Jason Odd immediately comes to mind), and hopefully, some of their research will result in successful publications.

In the meantime, sites like this end up being extraordinarily useful mechanisms for information exchange within a relatively focused group.

While trying not to distract attention from Clarence and his many talents, I will try to contribute whatever I can that might be useful.

Thanks again for your appreciation...

Bob
jmraia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks again to you.

All,
I was listening to Jamie Hartford's CD, "Part of Your History" and noticed in the credits that "Jamie played the 'Noble' guitar on most of these tracks." Does anybody know anything about this guitar? I'll start a new thread on it as well.
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: