Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Dark Side

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverface

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: The Dark Side Reply with quote

I'll be watching for bits of wire and plastic explosive near my car...

Swapped some things around (none of my main players) and ended up with a G&L ASAT Z3 - with a Hipshot!

I had one of the "kitchen sink" Hipshots years ago and used it quite a bit on what became Pull String #2 (the formerly gold, now Lake Placid Blue one).

Just like riding a bike...except for slight changes in my "body armor" (snicker) over the years, that necessitate a different bar position than I used to use. This one has just the B string bender. And it works fine. I can pull off my same slow, legato, weirdly timed bends...but the weakness is on quicker combinations, like the infamous descending run Clarence and Warford used and I continue to play. Sorta gets tangled up a bit.

But it DOES work, and it's a great intro to bending, a good unit for those players who look on a bender as an "effect" and use it sparingly, and for any bender-head to have on hand since it can be switched to a different guitar simply during a string change (or just a B string change!).

Of course it's also great for Will Ray, but Will's a witch (or is it Warlock?) who came from the underworld to torture us with his bending/ring slide playing.

And yeah - I *have* broken out the 'ol ring slide again!

And BTW - the G&L ASAT Z3 has a superb electronics system on it. G&L knows better than Fender how to get a Strat-like "quack" out of 3-pickup T-style guitar, the pickups are DEAD quiet, and the tone has a wide range of colors, from stock Tele to P90-ish. And a GREAT neck.
Raybob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And yeah - I *have* broken out the 'ol ring slide again! "

Would that be a "Lenny Blue" slide? Had one but lost it many years ago. You found mine? Laughing

I like G&L Strat wiring with treble and bass knobs. Did that once on friend's strat. Treble actually adds treble.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: