Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

behind prison walls on utube /

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hot_Water

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: behind prison walls on utube / Reply with quote

I was watching this today on utube Linda Ronstadt does 4 songs on it with Bob Warford playing his tele,, Silver Threads at 37 mins. is my favorite all time way i've ever heard it done. they say 1976 , I always thought might been a little before that. a great listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEeSajdhImQ
Harold W.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right...Early 1974, about the time of the Ronstadt/Jackson Browne tour. Somewhere around here I have the page from TV Guide with the original air date, but I'll have to hunt for that. Linda is wearing the same dress as she wore at the William & Mary concert I recorded on Feb. 26, 1974.

Much of the concert is now available on a DVD/CD package:

When the show originally aired, it was sponsored by NAPA Auto Parts, and in 1978 they sold a specially licensed LP only at their stores. It was never available through normal record distribution.

Unfortunately it only contained previously released studio songs (nothing live from the concert). I was very disappointed at the time, but this limited pressing has now become a collector's item.

A VHS tape was available for a while with the title, A Flower Out of Place. Here's a scan of my copy. There is some material (though not much) that is not on the DVD.

Hot_Water

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harold , watching that brought back a few memories, I was lucky enoug to see Johnny Cashes show as a teenager in 68 just a few weeks before Luther Perkins died. That Fiddle player in the film in Cashes Group looks a awful lot like Norman Blake.And seeing Buck Trent picking with Roy Clark was a treat. Do you have any idea who was Lindas backup vocals there? there was a lot of talent whoes names wernt mentioned in the film ,,
Harold W.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard definitive names for the backup singers. I always assumed they were locals, but maybe Bob knows. Besides Linda...Bob, Kenny Edwards and Andrew Gold were the only current band members that went to the show. Kenny Buttrey from Area Code 615 played drums. There was some discussion about who was playing steel. Buddy Emmons claimed to have played that show.

But yes, a lot of talent on that stage.
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did that show over a period of 2 or 3 days at Tennessee State Prison. This was an interesting gig - the leader of the prison band was a convicted double rapist - "hanging out" with such folks was a very unique experience. For our part, the prior post by Harold is correct - the regular band at the time was, for some reason, not all included. Linda brought Kenny Edwards, Andrew Gold, and me. Kenny Buttrey (an excellent studio drummer from Nashville), and Buddy Emmons on steel guitar (for some reason, I thought it was Weldon Myrick, but I am now convinced it was Buddy, who is, of course, an absolutely legendary steel player) were added for this gig. The regular band at the time, as I recall, included John Ware on drums and Ed Black on steel - the band would have sounded at least as good with them along - not a criticism of Kenny or Buddy, just the fact that we all worked together day after day. As it turned out, both Kenny and Buddy did their (expected) superb work, and everything turned out just fine.

As I recall, the harmony vocals were, as occurred in our usual stage shows, done by Andrew and Kenny.
Harold W.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the inside information, Bob. I always enjoy hearing these kinds of details.

I believe the question about the backup singers is about the three female singers on the opposite side of the stage from you (to Andrew's right). I know they weren't with the regular touring band at that time. Over the years I've heard people speculate that they were well known singers that sang on Linda's records. I tend to think this was not the case. Any thoughts?
Hot_Water

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I can understand what your saying about John Ware and Ed Black too. The longer you play together the more you sense what everyone else is going to do. The backup vocals I was refering to was the 3 to the right of Andrew Gold, three ladies. Andrew and Kenny were super singers with Linda . Both gone way to soon. Thanks again
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Water: Interesting question - I had completely forgotten that there were female background singers at that event, and I haven't looked at that video in a long time. Didn't see them in my brief check just now, but from the sound of their voices on You're No Good", I'd think that Clydie King and Shirley Matthews, who did the background parts on the album version of "You're No Good" may have been among them. I'll try to look at it when I have time and see if I recognize anyone, but it's so long ago that it may not help...

Thanks for pointing that out!

Bob
Raybob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: behind prison walls on utube / Reply with quote

Hot_Water wrote:
I was watching this today on utube Linda Ronstadt does 4 songs on it with Bob Warford playing his tele,, Silver Threads at 37 mins. is my favorite all time way i've ever heard it done. they say 1976 , I always thought might been a little before that. a great listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEeSajdhImQ

Ha ha.. Linky no worky no more...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This video contains content from Eagle Rock, BMG_Rights_Management, Warner Chappell, Sony ATV Publishing, EMI Music Publishing and Eagle Records, one or more of whom have blocked it on copyright grounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Pickers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: