Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Marty Stuart sell his soul to the devil?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Did Marty Stuart sell his soul to the devil? Reply with quote

Years ago, I bought several Marty Stuart CDs such as Tempted because I wanted to hear him play Clarence's tele. Although I liked his music, I was disappointed that he really didn't utilize the b-bender very much in his playing. I always assumed that Marty just wasn't very good at bending.

Flash forward to "Going, Going Gone" from "Tear the Woodpile Down" and "Hummingbyrd" and "Country Boy Rock n Roll" from "Ghost Train" and I swear that Clarence has been reincarnated as Marty Stuart. Stuart nails Clarence's sound and playing.

Does anybody know what happened? Did Marty have a crossroad experience like Robert Johnson where he sold his soul to be able to play like Clarence? If he did, I want to know where I can sign up.

garth
rickhouston

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Marty Stuart-yes Reply with quote

yes Garth, Marty is about as good as they come. the boy can play. and smile while playing, which is not so easy. a well deserved star status.
RKWilliams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to sell your entire soul or can you just sell part? Asking for a friend.
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty is a good picker for sure, but to say he plays just like Clarence is not accurate IMHO.. Clarence had a very unique individualistic style.. He never played the same things twice and every time was perfect. I don't think anyone plays withe the same right hand technique/syncopation like Clarence. People can get close and copy some licks but to get all the way there and be as creatively original at it, there you'd have to clone his brain and motor skills connection to it.
rickhouston

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Marty Reply with quote

i am in the camp of Marty is utterly fantastic too. you wouldn't want him to play like a Clarence clone. he is a great star in his own right, as both a singer and guitarist and bandleader. he is of a different mold than Clarence. and he can really really play the guitar. in my opinion Brad Paisley has nothing on him, except more future years to perform at high level, due to the accident of birth(date).

if someone had to get Clarence's guitar and keep a legacy going, i am very glad it is Marty. of course this diminishes nothing of the great Clarence, the inventor of this musical vocabulary and a real master of space/time in the musical sense.
Rick Towne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Marty is a good picker for sure, but to say he plays just like Clarence is not accurate IMHO.. Clarence had a very unique individualistic style.. He never played the same things twice and every time was perfect. I don't think anyone plays withe the same right hand technique/syncopation like Clarence. People can get close and copy some licks but to get all the way there and be as creatively original at it, there you'd have to clone his brain and motor skills connection to it.

I've seen all of the Marty Stuart shows, and listened to all of the available Clarence recordings, and Brian is quite right. Clarence was one of a kind.
Hot_Water

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Towne wrote:
Brian wrote:

I've seen all of the Marty Stuart shows, and listened to all of the available Clarence recordings, and Brian is quite right. Clarence was one of a kind.
Yeah like Rick I've seen about all Marty's shows on rfd an have have listen to clarence since the 60's can even remember how most the local guys pulled there hair out trying to emulate the benders sound lol ,glad i played bass,, i can see a lil of clarence in martys attack but to say he plays like him ,, no, the timing is a lot different, not taking anything away from marty,, his style is awesome also but clarence had a timing that was totaly it's own
rballister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty's his own guy. The minute I found out he had CW's instrument I rushed out and bought his first album (I think "Busy Bee Cafe") and started searching for (and found) the videos he did when he was part of Johnny Cash's band. Major bummer at the time (as if anyone could measure up to CW!), but Marty's a great player now and was probably one then--he's a virtuosic mandolin player. His style is somewhere between CW and Nashville style pickers. A while back somebody posted an impromptu session between Roger and Marty on acoustic bender---great! Ricky Skaggs followed a similar path---mandolin player who also plays a bender. (I believe he also has a mandobender.) I've never heard anyone touch CW's timing/syncopation. Amos Garrett maybe a tiny bit (solo on Midnight at the Oasis) but it was just hardwired in to CW. Several years ago I had a phone conversation with a guy building bender clones who wasn't really all that familiar with CW's playing! His point of reference was guys like Jimmy Olander and other Nashville players. When I get the chance I still collar young guys and tell them about CW---they need to know! I've noticed a resurgence the last couple of years of what you could describe as "Americana" style music. Its a good fit for CW's style and I hope someone goes down that road. There. End of rant.
unbridled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the differences in their style are in this thread:

http://www.bbenderguitars.com/CWforum/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8318#8318

Hey, they are different players. That's OK. There won't be another Clarence.
Garth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listened to Clarence ever since I first heard Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde in 1969 and I have literally worn out four or five Easy Rider albums and CDs. I have to agree that Clarence's timing and playing will never be matched. Nevertheless, Marty's use of the b-bender has improved vastly over the years. That said, I would give half my soul to play like Marty and I would give my whole soul to play like Clarence.

Garth
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: