Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sometimes you just get lucky...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverface

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Sometimes you just get lucky... Reply with quote

Well, no NAMM tickets this year - so my building buddy Walt and I decided to hot the vintage guitar show at the Orange County Fairgrounds. We went to the summer show in Pomona and it was like the old days, with LOTS more good gear than the last 5-10 years, and more reasonable pricing.

I decided I'd drag out some stuff on a dolly I don't use much - my old Gibson GA50-t Amp, a little Magnatone, an SWR bass head and Gretsch uke. Loots of attention from dealers and shoppers, but no buyers (dealers wanted stuff they could flip quickly and others were looking for the rare impossible deal).

Still, it was fun - lots of good guitars to play and more tweed Fenders than I'd seen in decades. But after a few hours I was tired of lugging stuff around and setting things up for every lookie-loo, so we headed for the exit. Just as I had handed the exit guy all the tags to ID my equipment (security is really handled well) a guy walks up fast and asks "Is that a GA...oh, what's the number. The one Howard Roberts used?" I said yep, and he asked if we were in a hurry to leave...so I took my exit tickets back and followed the guy to his booth right by the exit.

Turns out he's a Jazz teacher, and one of the few teachers whose lesson books I'd kept for years! So he plugs it in with an Epiphone Howard Roberts and gets "that" look - and says "any chance you'd take a trade?". I asked what he had (saw mostly expensive jazz boxes), and he said "well, how about a '67 Deluxe?"

I start calculating, figure I'm losing a bit but the guy LOVES the amp and BF Deluxes are cool (Mur has one - great amp). I said I'd like to see it, so he reaches under the curtained table and pulls out an 8+ BF Deluxe *reverb*! Missing one knob, which he said he could mail to me (he didn't realize it'd fallen off) and has an Eminence Patriot...but he says he has the original speaker and would be happy to ship it to me.

I didn't even turn it on.

Did the paperwork, traded phone numbers/email/addresses/etc and deal was done. 30 seconds later and it wouldn't have happened.

I pull up the serial number database on my iPhone on the way to the car..and it's a '66! My "mental cash register" did a reversal the minute I found out it was a Reverb model.

Get it home, set it up next to my '72 SF - and it blows the doors off it. I mean, there was no comparison. So I seriously need to look at my '72 and see if something's wrong (guys at the club we jam at love it...they'll flip over this one.).

And like I do with all new amps, I pulled the chassis - and this thing's a virgin! A replaced power cord and filament resistors are the only changed parts - even the "death cap" is the original. Then again, the filters are a tossup - could be replacements, which is fine with me - I usually only replace high-voltage caps unless a bypass cap is a leaker.

I'll run a few tests to be sure it's safe to play, but iot looks like it (and he's used it regularly.

Not a bad day, I'd say!

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! great amp and deal!!!
Johnny Isaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jim! Nothing sounds like a great Fender tube amp. I love them! A Fender guitar sounds so right through a great Fender amp!

Johnny Isaacs
Don Miller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good deal! sounds like you and the other guy both got something good...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: