Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarence neck mystery revealed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The finger picks I have used forever are the exact finger picks that I used as a banjo player - just shifted the one from my index finger to the ring finger and left the other in place. Clarence was using fingernails, and to me that was not consistent enough as fingernails wore or were trimmed, and I liked the tonal control I was used to with metal finger picks as a banjo player.

Bob
Bill Hisle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, very cool and great playing! It's always so enjoyable to hear when these nuggets are found. We are so very fortunate to have you (and others on the forum) who are willing to share their lives and historical perspective on the music that was so formative and influential on our lives. Thanks.
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal finger picks came from 5 string banjo, the instrument both Warford and McGuinn played professionally, before switching to electric guitar. Smile
Silverface

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember well the frets on Bob's Strat neck - low, small, never dressed but no dimples, kinda pyramid-shaped...and weird looking. Probably made of Unobtanium, the same metal used at Convair/General Dynamics in San Diego to make Sneaky's two indestructible 1 1/14" diameter, 1-pound pedal steel bars (one of which I own...and having dropped it a few times I can vouch for the fact it shows NO dings no matter that it hits!

I just wonder is Bob's frets came from the same source and were a one-off tagged onto some $400 hammer government contract!

But that mysterious maple neck on Bob's Tele just adds more to the whole "Twilight Zone" aura surrounding the subject. With Clarence and Bob being friends and swapping instruments, both being the only members of the "first two shoulder-strap b-bender club" and these anomalies finally being noticed Fender's whole dating scenario - which was based ONLY on the neck stamp - it's apparent that it was either a '54 Esquire as Clarence and Red said; a '54 Tele with the neck pickup removed as some have suggested; a '56 Tele with the same pickup removal; a '56 Tele based on the neck date Fender found...

...or a Nashville West with the back non-routed and half a Fender changer installed!

Shocked

One thing for sure - there is no evidence that it had the 1956 neck (found by Fender) during the time period Clarence was playing it, ever.
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverface wrote:

One thing for sure - there is no evidence that it had the 1956 neck (found by Fender) during the time period Clarence was playing it, ever.

How can you say that when we've only seen 1 picture of Clarence playing his Tele with a maple neck with the string tree in the 54/55 position. All the rest have the string tree (and 12th position dots) in the position of the 56 neck
stan martin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: metal finger picks Reply with quote

James Burton certainly used them , at least with Elvis,Emmylou and the Bakersfield stuuf he did, also an often overlooked guitarist for
"outside" whacky pedal steel type guitar playing was Buck Trent (Porter Wagoner). He was a banjo player,but what a cool guitar player he was.

back to Bob Warford, holy smokes if I was blindfolded I would swear that was Clarence. You made that look effortless,which of course is the hallmark of all great players. I'm glad I got to finally SEE Bob in action.
Rick Towne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Banjo.... Reply with quote

With the passing of Earl Scruggs, it's another reason to appreciate the value of banjo pickers' right hand (or lefty for me) skills. For what it's worth, Jimmy Olander, probably the premier Glaser bender player, and my favorite, was a banjoist first.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: