Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi all, just joined!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tele2000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Hi all, just joined! Reply with quote

First of all, thanks to Michelle for hooking me up, and Brian for taking the time to get me registered.

A little background... I've been playing guitar my whole life, since I was about 7. Wow... 30 years ago! I started playing because of Roy Clark and Buck Owens on Hee Haw. After going through a long time "rock phase" I've come back to what feels natural in heart and soul... country/folk/bluegrass. It's a great feeling!

Anyway, a friend of mine got me listening to Tony Rice about a year ago. After reading about Tony and how Clarence was a big influence of his, I started listening to Clarence. I've been listening to The Kentucky Colonels constantly, as well as all of Clarence's solo flatpick recordings, and The Byrds.

I've only been listening to Clarence for about 4 or 5 months, and I already feel this amazing emotional attachment to him and his music.

Looking to meet some cool fans, and learn a lot about Clarence and the music he's given this world.

I'm playing a Martin HD-28V, and couldn't be happier! It hasn't left my hands in 3 months Very Happy
Murr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Welcome to the forum.

Smile Shocked Wink Surprised Razz Confused Neutral Very Happy
Dogbear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome...... Very Happy Cool
Don Miller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm playing a Martin HD-28V, and couldn't be happier! It hasn't left my hands in 3 months

its a slippery slope...next will be a tele with a stringbender

Welcome!
Tele2000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right, I'm already itching for a B-bender Tele. But first I want to try my hand at behind the nut bends. I've been working on it, and it's quite fun, although limiting.

Thanks for the welcomes!
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!!!! You'll learn a lot about Clarence here!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scott J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony, You would know me from the Byrds Yahoogroup, but since all I ever post there or are ever interested in is reading something about Clarence White, that CW Forum is the right place to be so welcome aboard.

I got to see the Byrds play a few times, but the best was my first in Oct 1971 in a college gym. I sat literally at Clarence's feet for the entire show. After the show, I consider myself fortunate to have had several minutes speaking with Clarence. A privilege and memory I've carried around with me for years and now through CW Forum and thanks to Michele White can discuss with like-minded folks an appreciation for the genius and the person that CW was. In my brief meeting I found Clarence to be pleasant, soft spoken, humble, a perfectionist in music and dress right down to his wrinkle free white pants and happy to discuss anything I wanted.

I mentioned having seen him on a PBS program playing with Earl Scruggs. and his reply was "Yes, we had a really good time down in Nashville playing with Earl, his family and friends." About the decal on his tele of the guy in the cowboy hat he answered "Oh, that's Nudie. He makes a lot of funky leather goods for me." That followed with questions about his tele, and techniques I noticed during the show as he played. In closing he handed me the tear drop "thin" guitar pick I had seen him playing with. For me it was the most memorable and inspiring few minutes of my life. His seriousness, perfectionist and innovative playing of the guitar is an inspiration to anyone of how to succeed and excel in any field. I may have went to see the Byrds, but it was Clarence White who stood out from the rest as a great guitarist, a good very human guy you'd be happy to know, and I'm sure a great father. After all these years I still find his loss hard to accept. Very glad this group is here, thanks!
Tele2000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post, Scott J. I love hearing those stories! I was wondering if Clarence used a different kind of pick for playing Tele. Now I know! Thanks!
Scott J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Clarence's tele pick Reply with quote

Regarding the thin tear drop pick which Clarence used on his tele, on the pick is the words "Terminal", some numbers, and "thin". I recently found out that Terminal was a music shop in New York City and the numbers is the street address. They are now out of business, but the shop is still there with the name above the door. If there's a place on CW Forum to post photos, I could post a photo of the pick and a picture of the closed Terminal store. Take care, Scott
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarence's tele pick Reply with quote

Scott J. wrote:
Regarding the thin tear drop pick which Clarence used on his tele, on the pick is the words "Terminal", some numbers, and "thin". I recently found out that Terminal was a music shop in New York City and the numbers is the street address. They are now out of business, but the shop is still there with the name above the door. If there's a place on CW Forum to post photos, I could post a photo of the pick and a picture of the closed Terminal store. Take care, Scott

Hi Scott...

email me the pix at bfriend54@gmail.com and I will get them posted on the forum OK?
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarence's tele pick Reply with quote

Scott J. wrote:

Here's are Scott's pictures uploaded..

Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in NY and West 48 St in Manhattan was the music row and mecca for guitarists and alike. I used to go down there and just ogle at the array of awesome guitars and gear in the windows of the shops that lined both sides of the street. The most famous of those was Manny's. Sadly many of these stores have either closed or moved. In the case of Manny's it was acquired by Sam Ash. There's still music stores on W 48 St but it's nowhere near what it used to be...
rballister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember all these stores. My grandmother bought me my 67 Pro reverb from Ben's Music on 48th. I still wander over every now and then. Sam Ash has pretty much taken over the block. Rudy's still has lots of interesting quality instruments. Manny's grandson's (Manny's son, Henry used to manage Manny's during the 60's) either work for Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

I saw those tear drop picks on e-bay being attributed to Clarence several years ago. What's surprising to me is that its a light! The general consensus is that Clarence had a very light touch on electric---its amazing to me that he could do the stuff he did with a light pick. I sorta like light picks for straight strumming on acoustic---it gives you a very even sound. But aside from rhythm stuff they don't give me enough control for anything else.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Clarence used really light gauge strings on electric and with his hybrid pick and fingers style a thin flexible pick worked great. I find that it works just fine as well. I prefer a thin pick for Tele's
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another shot showing the old Terminal store, next to Sam Ash

And an older shot showing Manny's still on the other side of Sam Ash

and a current shot showing Sam Ash devoured Manny's

and just for fun here's Rudy's across the street
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: