Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D16 ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: D16 ??? Reply with quote

Iím a newbie here and a longtime fan of Clarence White from the 70ís. I recently bought The Essential CW book and I canít put the book down and the guitar. Iím thinking now that Iíd like to get a new guitar and I was wondering what the people here thought of the Martin D16 adi or HD16R adi. Iíd like to really get a HD28V or D18GE but theyíre a little out my price range, Iím presently playing a Guild D35 so Iím wondering what a good replacement would be and how the D16ís compare in sound and quality to Clarenceís Martins.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John...

I'd either look for a used Martin model (of the better ones that you mentioned) to save money. The lower end Martins are OK but you probably will get more bang for your buck going with (I hate to say it) an Eastman E10D or E20D... or even Blueridge BR140A or BR160A.

The other thing to do is to find music stores that have various types you might be interested in
Muttcaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 16's, but I'll tell ya what... the best bang/buck I've seen in a Martin is the DM. Another is the D1R. On 16's, I like the older ones with wood f/boards and bridge, not Micarta.

Here's me playing a DM with a shaved to prewar specs bridge, bone saddle, ebony non-slotted pins in a slotted bridge. Just a few modifications. Recently sold this guitar for $450 shipped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjz7MUshBLk
meatandpotatas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the GE is out of your price range, how about a D-18V? Used ones can be found for $1400 or so pretty regularly, and there's a lot of them out there.

The D-18V is one of the best "value" choices in the Martin line, and a good one can approach the vibe of a 50's D-18, which Clarence was supposed to have used for most of his lead work in the Kentucky Colonel days. There's something about a Sitka-topped D-18 with a 1-11/16" nut that just seems to suit that early Clarence material.

If you're in Seattle, swing by Dusty Strings; they usually have several D-18s in stock, including used 50's examples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: