Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Byrds - Rainbow Theatre (London, England) Jan 16, 1972
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savalas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know who the source of this tape was ? It would seem a tape this good would have been given official release consideration.

Pretty certain that the source originated from Dinky Dawson, Bugler correctly pointed out that the Catalog is attributed to 'Dawson Sound' on Wolfgangs Vault. I'd read somewhere that Dawson has a huge collection of shows that he recorded during his time as sound engineer for a host of different artists, notably The Byrds, most never having seen the light of day. I hope more shows turn up of this quality.
Silverface

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not only really well recorded - somebody mixed the thing. It's not just another haphazard soundboard "quick dump to 2-track". Somebody spent some time working on it. It even sounds like it may have ad some mastering work done on it, as the levels just never go out of whack and the right instruments/voices are always up in the mix, with the announcing work processed slightly differently for a "live" ambiance.

Edit - just went back and read the details. It was produced by "Dawson Sound"...i.e. Dinky. Sounds like he's REALLY gotten his recording/mixing/mastering s**t together, after some other pretty abysmal stuff he released (The Vault posts mention a particularly muddy Steely Dan boot, which I think I have a copy of...if it's the one I'm thinking of they're right). Assuming Dinky has all the recordings he's claimed to, we should be hearing much more over the next few years...hopefully...; and if they are recorded/mixed like this it'll put 95% of the other boots to shame!

I agree - it's a better candidate for a legit release than any other "boot" I've heard, both in the recording quality and the consistent level of the performance (the...as Gene said..."crusty harmonies" are far better than on most boots).

Plus it has an entirely new Nashville West last chorus to decode... Shocked

(Plus I get a kick out of Clarence screwing with the Leslie speed before Bugler)

(Plus Clarence is simply on fire. I let a buddy of mine who's never paid attention to the post-Crosby Byrds or CW and he was whacked with Mur's wiffle bat and is not downloading everything he can get his hands on!)

Quote:
What do you get for $48?

Probably about the same thing you get with Audacity for nothing....

Twisted Evil

"No Chops, but Great Tone"[c]
www.nochops.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: