Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After Ten Years, My Esquire Clone is Done!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: After Ten Years, My Esquire Clone is Done! Reply with quote

Ten years ago a friend on the TDPRI gave me some steel saddles to try. I soon bought a body and a neck off ebay to build an Esquire-clone. I love my '52 RI but I thought it'd be fun to have a Tele of a different color. The body was supposed to be from USA Custom Guitars (light ash) and the neck is from Warmoth, a 22 fret compound radius maple fingerboard unit. I have a friend who's a guitar repairman and he offered to paint the body and put a clear coat on the neck for me. He painted the body and left it in a storefront window for several months.. It went from Daphne blue to Surf Green. He kept putting me off saying he'd get to the neck, but it never happened. I went to Alaska for six months and had to get it back from him when I returned.

Slowly, I aquired parts, a Fender bridge, the tuners came with the neck, a control plate, pots, knobs, switch and in a trade got a Duncan Broadcaster pickup. Then I found an Esquire scratch plate and decided I'd at least do a test fit to see how it looked. And there it remained for a few more years.

Last year I was diagnosed with a rare and luckily mild form of Leukemia. But I had some complications with infections and probably came closer to dying then I care to admitt. Guitars weren't a priority, my health was. As I recovered I kept a guitar on a stand by the couch so I could pick it up and play it as much as I could. It was a struggle, but I got stronger and actually played a few gigs with my former band, Tuatha.

Earlier this year I started receiving some Social Security money, but they didn't tell me about it and since I thought I was broke, didn't check my bank balance. When I did I realized I had a little play money, so I put aside money for two things, a Zendrive pedal and getting the neck finished for the Esquire-clone. I found a good repairman in Denver and sent him the neck. After about six weeks I got it back. I had wanted it kind of a honey toned color, but it came back slightly brown. But it looks so good, I can't complain. He did an excellent job on the finish. I've seen new high end guitars with less quality work.

Well, the week before last I put it together. After setting it up and tracking down a gremlin in the wiring, I used it for a practice and a jam and I am in LOVE! It's a twangbanger for sure. The bassy tone is very "Wooden Ships-like" and the non-tone pot setting is pure twang. But the sweet spot is with the tone and volume controls in the circuit. It's bluesy, but it's got some serious harmonics going on. Pinch harmonics just jump out. It reacts to different hand technique. And it nails the Jim Messina L&M tones.

Yeah, it was a long time comin' but it's here. I feel it's my reward for surviving the last year. We're going to make beautiful music together.
Sorry, no pictures, YET. As soon as I can I'll post a few.
Thanks for listening to my lengthy tale.
Jerry Hayes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul, congratulations on your on-going recovery and on the guitar. It really sounds like you've got a keeper there. How's the music scene in Ft. Collins? Anything going in the club scene or is it dead like everywhere else? Good luck and keep pickin'......JH in Va.
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music scene here is pretty good, but I don't think anyone's making a living.
Murr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, looking forward to seeing it.
Savalas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best to you Paul, hope you can get time to put some pics of the finished guitar up soon!
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could somebody walk me through posting pictures here? Or could I e-mail them to someone? I don't have a Flicker account or anything like that.

Thanks!
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I post a picture from my computer?
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Honeycutt wrote:
How can I post a picture from my computer?

Normally you need webspace to upload the picture to. Bust just email the picture to me and I will upload it here...
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Brian! I'll get it out to you.
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Honeycutt wrote:
Thank's Brian! I'll get it out to you.

Here you go

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: