Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Andrew Gold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hot_Water

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Andrew Gold Reply with quote

http://musicouch.com/musicouching/musician-andrew-gold-dies-aged-59/
rballister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too young (at least relative to moi). Saw him when he was with Ronstadt. There's a sort of loose Byrds connection. He had a pretty good Byrds tribute band for awhile (Byrds of a Feather). There were a couple of videos posted online which I can no longer find. Don't think they ever played out of CA. He also put out a CD called "Greeting from Planet Love". The band thoroughly inhabit the sound of several 60's bands--Beatles, Pink Floyd Byrds, Beach Boys, Doors and early psychedelia. Its a fun CD to listen to. There's a sample of the Byrds-like cut on iTunes ("Space and Time")
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/greetings-from-planet-love/id207504448

R.I.P.
Rick Towne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Great player and arranger Reply with quote

I first saw him with Linda Ronstadt on a double bill with Jackson Browne in 1974. Seeing Bob Warford, David Lindley, Ed Black and Andrew Gold in one day was a real wake up to different creative playing styles. The "When Will I Be Loved" arrangement and solo is a harmonized classic up there with "Still The One". I hope Bob can comment.
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many of you know, I played with Andrew through most of the time that I was with Linda Ronstadt. He was ..... bright, sensitive, talented, nice to everyone, a great player on every instrument he touched, and one of my favorite road-mates. He wore his heart on his sleeve, musically, and wrote songs that reflected the deep impact that life experiences had on him (for example, I was present for the event that led to "Endless Flight", that Leo Sayer recorded).

I was shocked and saddened to hear this morning of his death. I've lost friends and musical acquaintances over the years (most notably, Clarence); this was one of the most upsetting.

I'll be listening to a lot of his music tonight...

Bob
lisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certainly happy to be around still, but I'm getting tired of this trend...
He was way too young......
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
If you wouldn't mind at some point, would you be willing to share some road stories about playing with Andrew?

It's my understanding that Bryndle recorded an album that was never released back in the late '60's/early '70's. Is that true?

When Bryndle did regroup and record they were supposed to play here in Fort Collins, but cancelled at the last minute as they'd been double booked or a gig in a mountain town came up, I never quite got the story. I sent Andrew an e-mail telling him how disappointed I was that I didn't get to see Bryndle. He answered me and was very appologetic and funny. We shared a couple more e-mails and he came off as a very down to earth music loving guy. Sad to hear of his passing.

I love the solos on "When Will I Be Loved" and "You're No Good."
Don Miller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of Andrew only by the "Heart Like a Wheel" stuff...and of course the couple-three top 40 songs he had...but from the comments by Bob and Paul, it sounds like he was a good guy...

He was born literally within days of me..I figured that out back in the "Lonely Boy" days...and it always gives me a moment of reflection when someone that close to me in age passes on...
Silverface

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned of this on the steel forum.

Very sad and too soon. Bob, sorry for the loss of someone I know was a friend.
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim:

Thanks for the sympathetic words - it was more than a bit of a shock when I learned of it...

Paul:

I don't really have any road stories to tell - Andrew was friendly, focused on the music, responsible, mostly quiet, and completely reliable. Just a great guy to tour with, and one you never had to be concerned about. I do recall at one point when he began getting dizzy on airplanes - probably Meniere's disease, a disorder in the middle ear - and, as I recall, traveled by ground transport when he could, to avoid the problem. I don't remember how long he did that, or if it ever completely resolved.

Sorry I don't have more to share, but he was, unlike a fair number of musicians on the road, refreshingly ordinary as a person, while spectacularly good as a player, singer, arranger, and producer.

As fpr Bryndle, I know the name of the band, and knew Carla and Wendy slightly, but that's about all I do know.

Bob
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob. It's nice to hear about musicans who are pretty "normal" and professional. I really liked his playing. Sorry for you loss.

For folks who like good LA folk-pop with good songs and harmonies, give a listen to the Bryndle CD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Pickers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: