Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evans striped bender

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriscallans

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Evans striped bender Reply with quote

DAVE Evans.
I purchased one of your striped bender units from mitch crane, someone i used to work with at the beef and barrel in northridge at tampa and nordoff.
this guitar had seventeen? i am not sure how many different kinds of wood, striped, with a clear pickguard and a small logo on the pg.
I was told at the time, that there were only 2...is that correct? this was around late seventies i think.
I saw Marty Stewart on tv, with one that looked identical. Do you know if he has a unit like that of your design?
I am not up on your bender guitar building history but aprox how many benders have you got in the world today?
thanks again dave.
chris callans
www.myspace.com/cjcallans
bender riffs at the bottom of the playlist.

Last edited by chriscallans on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dave Evans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, sounds like you got one of the Deluxe models. The woods used were Teak, Ash, Oak, Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian Rosewood, and Honduras Mahogany, if i remember correctly. The first of that style went to Joe South and the second to Terry Williams in the early '70s. I then made some more of the Deluxe style, but I don't remember how many, it was more than 2 however. Freddy Weller still has one and so does Albert Lee.
As far as how many of the Pull Strings I actually made back then (bodies and installs), I'm not sure. As I was looking back on it a couple of years ago, I thought it may have been 30 - 40. But now I think there must close to 75 - 100. Seems a lot of people still have them and have contacted me thanks to this and other sites on the internet (as well as my own history site www.evanspullstring.com).
I don't know if Marty Stewart has a Deluxe model or not, or for that matter, any of my Pull Strings.
Over the past 2 years I have done a dozen or so installs but have not done any of the "butcher block" style.
I would love to see a picture or two of your guitar and any info you have about your owning it. Contact info on my site. Thanks Chris.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: