Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting This Forum "On Fire!" Again....HOW?!?!?!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Getting This Forum "On Fire!" Again....HOW?!?!?!? Reply with quote

Hey, there, to my fellow CWF friends and pals!!

I've been looking at the forum for the last little while (yes, it still interests me even though a lot of us use FB to get together and chat with each other and have fun and lighthearted to serious topics that are discussed) and I'm just wondering what, if anything, can be done to bring this fun and sacred place back to its original glory??? I really miss the discussions we would have on here and I feel like I truly learned a lot about Clarence both as a guitarist and a person through the ones here who met him and/or hung around him or worked with him when he was alive. Other than James Burton, I have never had a guitarist who has "captured my attention" in such a way like Clarence has. And after getting to finally play that legendary electric guitar for the very first time back in 2008, there hasn't been anyone else who has captured my attention like Clarence.....except for James Burton & Marty Stuart.

I, for example, dearly and badly miss being able to be old enough to have seen the final best Byrds line-up of Gene, Roger, Skip, & Clarence! I know from reading FB that Parsons (Gene) was fired in late '72 - a huge mistake if you want my opinion on the matter - I think that Clarence lost all willingness to be in the band after Gene was gone.

As for their final show in February, 1973, it's my opinion that Roger should have had Gene and Skip come back for that one final gig and maybe it wouldn't have been as bad as it was with Hillman not having ample opportunity to rehearse (I need to go back and read and find out when he was briefly hired back for that one gig) and the band could have tried their best to go out on top of their game instead of the show being remembered as not a very good show at all. 😞

There used to be a great bunch of people who posted here until Facebook came along and changed how we communicate with one another. Now, while I'm very proud of that, in a way, it has also caused us hardcore Clarence fans to basically "run screaming for our lives" here on this little forum that started it all for me and a forum that probably not a whole lot of fans (old or new!) even knows exists.

So....that's my question AND challenge for EVERYONE:

LET'S ALL SEE WHAT WE ALL CAN DO TO REVIVE THIS HALLOWED PLACE ON THE INTERNET BACK TO WHAT IT ONCE WAS - A PLACE WHERE EVERY FAN OF ACOUSTIC GUITAR PLAYING AND FANS OF CLARENCE WOULD GATHER TOGETHER AND DISCUSS THIS WONDERFUL MAN AND HIS MUSIC - AN EVENT THAT UPON HEARING HIM FOR THE FIRST TIME BACK IN THE VERY EARLY 2,000s LITERALLY CHANGED MY LIFE AND I FOUND SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES THE GREAT JAMES BURTON - WHO I STILL LOVE AS A GUITARIST -
TO LOOK UP TO FOR INSPIRATION TO LEARN ALL THAT I CAN ABOUT GUITAR PLAYING AND HOW TO PLAY MUSIC CORRECTLY WITH OTHERS IN A BAND SITUATION.

What do the rest of ya'll say?!?!?!?!?

Take Care/God Bless,
Tony Trout
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MickeyV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I'm in.
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickey,

Now, we just need to find out how to go about getting people interested in this little place again......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MickeyV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,
I guess we start posting stuff to hopefully start the revival. I found this appreciation of Clarence on Rubber City Review. It has some terrific sound clips to illustrate the origins of Clarence's style. I was happy they included Joseph Spence, a Bahamian guitarist with a very weird sense of rhythm. Ry Cooder and David Lindley were also into his music at that time. You can really hear how Clarence was influenced by his meandering rhythm and sense of time, something Clarence would make a signature part of his style. I also like their statement that what Clarence did was to give a new voice to both the acoustic and electric (string bender) guitar. Enjoy.

http://rubbercityreview.com/2012/07/the-ballad-of-clarence-white/

also posted under "The Ballad of Clarence White"
Paul Honeycutt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away from here for a while and looked in to see that my posts from a few years ago are still on the first page.

I'm not sure how to kick start things, but I'm willing to help.
Bugler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've all been away for far too long. Thanks for posting that recent retrospective on Clarence from Guitar World or wherever. There's not as many of those as there once was, I'm afraid. Best thing I can suggest is to go on and play your favourite CW song and come back here enthused. Mine is 'Buglar' you'll no doubt have guessed. But I also love the pre-Byrds pure bluegrass which shows what a fantastic innovator this man was.
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugler wrote:
We've all been away for far too long. Thanks for posting that recent retrospective on Clarence from Guitar World or wherever. There's not as many of those as there once was, I'm afraid. Best thing I can suggest is to go on and play your favourite CW song and come back here enthused. Mine is 'Buglar' you'll no doubt have guessed. But I also love the pre-Byrds pure bluegrass which shows what a fantastic innovator this man was.

I like "Bugler" & "Truck Stop Girl" - both just seem to have a "haunting" quality to the vocals. Of course, I like the White-era Byrds line-up the best but I know that some don't. I'm also quite fond of "Lost My Drivin' Wheel" from the guys.

I know that when I first listened to songs like "Citizen Kane" and "B.B. Class Road", I had no clue that it was Skip singing those songs. I've got their entire Columbia output on CD and I haven't listened to it in a while, unfortunately. Guess I need to skip over several CDs in the CD player and rekindle my likeness of those tracks. Smile
Bugler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I couldn't agree more. I miss both the debates and the info and I don't see Facebook as any kind of substitute at all. Having said all that I don't think you're correct about the Passaic gig. Just to say it wasn't even supposed to be the 'Final Byrds Gig' at all. Alas, that's what it turned out to be. Originally there was one more gig scheduled, if memory serves, for 1 May. Not that Skip would ever have been invited back but by then the wheels of history had turned and the focus was firmly, in McGuinn's mind, on the original Byrds. A decision had been made. As for Gene Parsons: well he said he knew his time was probably over when Skip got the bullet. Looking back, we were perhaps lucky to see Clarence as both a Byrd and a New Kentucky Colonel. Seeing both sides of his musical genius was a revelation. The sad part was his death, of course.
unbridled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the forum would get fired up again as well. I don't have any ideas, unless someone finds another Clarence prototype on eBay. Laughing
unbridled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of folks here are also on the TDPRI page and I think that has taken away some from the amount of posts here. I've tried posting both here and on the TDPRI if I have a topic that fits here, too, although I may word it differently at each place, but I figure at least it might start a conversation on here among C.W. fans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Clarence White All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: