Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Ad, Clarence content

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Hisle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Fender Ad, Clarence content Reply with quote

This is from a 60th anniversary add on the Fender web site. There are some good shots of the Clarence Telecaster as Marty talks about Tele's. Mike Nesmith also makes an appearance.

http://www.fender.com/features/history?video=15XsXZkDKGw
rballister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caspar Rawls (who appears twice in the video) is another major early bender dude (both electric AND acoustic). Think I saw what may have been a Scruggs tuner in his first segment. Almost didn't recognize Nesmith. (guess we all get old!)
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out Casper's recent custom Parsons bender

Bill Hisle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you build that Brian?

For those of you that have the "double body," what differences do you notice between that and a "regular" Tele? Does it effect the tone in any way? Added or reduced sustain, or maybe no effect at all?
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Hisle wrote:
Did you build that Brian?

Nope.. that beautiful creation is the handiwork of Gene Parsons
Don Miller

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For those of you that have the "double body," what differences do you notice between that and a "regular" Tele? Does it effect the tone in any way? Added or reduced sustain, or maybe no effect at all?

This is purely unsubstaintated and subjective, but I could swear that my Nashville West has a acoustic resonance that my other teles dont have..seems to come out the most when strumming full cowboy chords... On the NW the bender is installed in the top body like a regular PW installation...so the chamber fromed by the added rim and back is pure airspace...
Silverface

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Don said.

There is a distinctly noticeable difference in tone when almost any solid-body guitar is NOT up against your chest...or belly, as the case may be (grin).

A couple of companies have made standoff-type gadgets to keep backs from resting against the body, usually made of some kind of a wire frame. It's actually an excellent idea from a tonal standpoint.

think about it - there are experienced players that can recognize a good tonal "platform" by playing a guitar without it plugged it. They simply feel the vibrations/resonance against their body and (usually) in both hands. To those players, the subtleties of things like changes in tone caps, weight reduction via tuner changes, slight changes in pickup output (with most tone hounds wanting *lower* output pickups, where the amp can be cranked and the pickups can be a more "active" part of the entire tonal system) are very apparent.

Then there are others that can't tell the difference but spend loads of moolah on pickups, speakers, gadgets, doohickeys (sorry for the tech terms...) and whatever looking for the "magic bullet" that will get them the tone they can't hear because they are not in tune with the thousands of tiny differences.

My Nashville West resonates like mad, partially due to the hollow back. My '54 Strat clone (6.3#, lightweight ash body, standard '54 routing, CS '54 Commemorative reissue Chris Fleming neck...just installed) rings like a bell when you tap it unplugged, and annoys my wife when she's watching TV and I'm playing while not plugged in - it's too loud. But if I pull it in tight to my body I can control the volume. It's pretty amazing with a solid body, but the same principle - allow the platform to vibrate and the strings will vibrate differently, with different overtones. That makes a big difference (to some) in how/what the pickups grab out of the magnetic field to create electric current then processed and amplified for higher volume.

I normally try to play in positions where the guitar's body only has slight contact with my body, and to me at least it makes an audible difference in tone.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: