Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acoustic Bender
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
casper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: here ya go! Reply with quote

philgerard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

casper wrote:
Hello fellow acoustic benders. casper rawls here.
If I have time and can figure out how to do it I'll also try to post some clips of the thing in action. I used it on track 1 of a CD by an Austin artist called Sunny Sweeney... "Refresh My Memory" if anyone has that in their collection. The only thing I would have done differently would be to put the bender in a better guitar. I wish I had a picture of the guys at Collings Guitars when I was thinking of using one of thier instruments, lots of red faces! Marty Stuart has a great long pull bender in a nice Martin acoustic.

Hope this answers some questions, Ron but y'all please feel free to ask away.

casper

Casper,
Hi! Real pleasure to ge to meet you! I hve Sunny Sweeney's CD and I bought the CD after hearing it on XM Ch.12 Cross Country because the guitar playing was so outstanding! On Refresh My Memory are those your intro and outro's also?
This is truly an honor! Great Playing!
Here's my acoustic b bender not a Gene but by Larry at Music One.
Love it!

Keep up the great picking and it's just terrific to have so many outstanding guitarists here on this site in honor of Clarence!
Phil Very Happy

Last edited by philgerard on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool! I can just imagine what Clarence would have done with one of these.. Cool
casper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Howdy Reply with quote

Hi Phil, pleasure to meet you too. Thanks for checking out Sunny Sweeney, she is a fantastic country artist. I recently had the chance to play two nights at The Grand Old Opry in Nashville with her...what a treat! About a year ago I played a live show recorded for later broadcast at the XM studios in Washington D.C. with her called "Back Porch" or something like that. I used the acoustic bender on that. On her CD I played acoustic rhythm on most all of the songs and the acoustic bender on "Refresh My Memory". On that tune it is featured in the intro, solo and outro. Thanks for listening and the kind words. Lars Albrecht, Eddie Perez and Tommy Detamore played electric on that studio project.

Your acoustic bender looks great...you were smart to put it in a cutaway guitar....dig the neck inlay! I'd love to hear you playing it.

Truly nice to know you...keep bendin'!

casper
philgerard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casper,
Thanks man! It's your opening notes that set the expectations for Heartbreakers Hall of Fame and I really like it!
As far as my playng goes, been playing guitar since I was 13 many years ago but went into the real work world when I realized that playing Ground Rounds for $200 a weekend wasn't going to support my family.
I've been playing a bender for about a year now and still have a lot to learn. I am trying to earn a niche here locally and the acoustic will really help because there is a lot of acoustic jamming, open mikes and gigs locally. Not being a singer I need to get lucky and find someone who wants me to accompany them. I am I do play occasionally with a band based out of San Francisco called Vintage Bob. I say I'm as lonely as an east coast guitarist for a west coast band! The last sock in the drawer, so to speak! LOL. But they have asked me to lay down some bender work on their next CD - timeline TBD. So, I'm very much looking forward to that! It keeps me practicing!
Casper, I don't know anyone other than members on here that even owns a bender. Can I ask you, on your acoustic what guage strings do you use. When I got mine it came with 13's and a wrapped g. I'm thinking of leaving the B, D, A and low E but changing the high E to a 12 and I bought a couple of plain Gs in .20 and changing that out. What'd ya think?
Appreciate the conversation, encouragement and advice.
Phil
casper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: String and Things Reply with quote

Hey Phil-

I use a light set on my bender gauges .012, .016, .025, .033, .043, .053. I use Everly strings and I really like them, this set is called acoustic sessions.

That is great that you all have jams going on where you live. That is a fun low pressure way to experiment and learn how the acoustic bender will, and yes sometimes won't, fit in. Don't wait on those pesky singers either, learn some cool instrumentals that will turn heads when you start bending.

When you get around to recording I encourage you to try different mikes and miking techniques to capture the best sound. On "Refresh My Memory" Tommy Detamore had a mike aimed directly at the 12th fret and one aimed up from behind the bridge and almost below the lower bout. Remember to have some graphite or light oil ready in case of squeaks on the bridge or nut, it really shows up in a close miked situation.

Best of luck in all your endeavors, let me know if I can ever be of help. Keep it bent!

casper
philgerard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casper,
thanks for your advice! I do use a graphite product from GHS on the nut and saddle but I seem to notice that it dulls the B string for a little bit - I guess I'm putting to much on but I do try to wipe off the excess. And you're right the acoustic bender seems to make more clinking string sticking noises than an electric b bender.
So I was in Akron, OH this weekend because my daughter's a child actor traveling in a national tour and my wife's with her as her chapparone. It was great to see them after 5 weeks! But my point was that one of the other mom's lives in Austin and I said that I was on here chatting with you and she says something like oh yeah he played with Toni Price! So, your fame is firmly established! LOL
I'm gonna try those Everly strings. They list a friend of mine's store as a dealer, so I'm going to talk to him today!
Thanks again!
Phil
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just resurrecting this cool old thread...

I'm thinking about putting an acoustic bender in my D-28CW... what do you all think yay or nay? Cool
Raybob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Just resurrecting this cool old thread...

I'm thinking about putting an acoustic bender in my D-28CW... what do you all think yay or nay? Cool
I put a Higgins peg bender on my "Tele" style and love it. I got a 2nd one (for 3 to a side tuners) I'm putting on my D28. First, I need to send my D28 to Bryan for needed repairs, then Higgins gets on it.

I've been using my P/G tele for years but for me, the Higgins is easier to control, as far as easy to stop at a half bend, or just in control overall, compared to the P/G, plus I got to put the Higgins on my Kahler wammy tele to get mucho possible string motions. Very little, if any, mod is done to the Martin to install Higgins. If you haven't played a guitar with a Higgins, try it. You might like it.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a Higgins on it and really don't like it at all
Raybob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I do have a Higgins on it and really don't like it at all
Hmm... Maybe it's because of all those years you have been playing strap activated benders. I spent maybe 6 years with a Hipshot, then about 14 yrs with Kayler whammy and no bender, then about 2 yrs with P/G, now about 4 months with Higgins (and Kahler wammy).

For me, the Higgins seems easier because of the shorter throw of my P/G. I suppose I should alter the P/G for short throw and try that, I might like it. What I really love is the weight difference. I built the 'tele' body (w/Kahler) from a Myrtlewood burl and it is very light to begin with.

Maybe also where I've attached the cable to the strap and the amount of slack/tightness of the cable can make a difference too.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably right... I had a Hipshot for about a week and disliked that as well.. I am comfortable with a strap actuated bender but the Higgins motion is nothing like the ones I'm used to. It is way too sensitive to tuning, way too short a throw, too particular at what angle you pull it from. Parsons Green is a fine bender if it's set up right and I tend to like medium to long throw benders...

Not sure what I'll do for an acoustic bender. I was thinking of adding an acoustic Parsons to my D-28CW but the lack of cutaway on that guitar limits the access to higher frets for a lot of good bender licks...
Raybob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
... It is way too sensitive to tuning, way too short a throw...

That is the part I love about it. It seems I can go in and out of a bent note just as quick or quicker than bending with my fingers, or just as fast as my pedal steel. Speed isn't just for Van Halen.

It's a little harder to control a half-bend and hold in tune than the P/W but I'm starting to get the hang of that now.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am sitting down I can control the higgins fairly accurately and easy but standing up and moving around at a live gig its much harder at least for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: