Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarence Bender Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raybob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverface wrote:

The changer is also something a machine shop would find very tough to reproduce - it'd cost more than a dead-mint original 400.

Hey Jim,
If there ever became a market for this, if you sent me the other half of that changer, I could do detailed drawings in CAD for machining purposes. I have an AA in ME and CAD software. If ever.
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, what I wouldn't give to own one of these type of guitars - since I'll never be able to own a Nashville West.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big part of my guitar in particular...is that all of the normal hardware and neck come from my Fender Clarence White Signature Tele...

And the new body was cut from a hand picked blank that I got from USA Custom Guitars. They matched the grain and 2 piece seam dead-on from a picture that I sent them.

Then...Mike McCullough (Dogbear on this forum) did an incredible job of cutting out the body from the blank, making the fake back and then doing a great job on the finish.

Jim Sliff (Silverface) donated the Fender 400 parts (to kick this project off)...and the rest I did. I studied and studied the pedal steel parts and how they worked...reviewed many many different types of bender mechanisms along with the experience I've gained along the way doing PW and PG bender installations and mods. Then reaching way back to my experience from high school machine shop days and purchasing a small milling machine and lathe..... I slowly developed and manually machined parts to pull the whole thing together.

So whole project is a combination of peoples efforts, and contributions. I've recently made one more great advance forward on the design. The strap lever design now uses a much sturdier Oilite bearing design as compared to the ball-bearing design I was using...

Can more of these be made? Sure anything is possible with enough time and money... Anyone want to pay for me to retire from my day job? LOL Cool

Last edited by Brian on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
rballister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enormous effort with an absolutely amazing result! But what does it sound like? I know you have (or had) a number of tele's with benders. How does it compare mechanically/soundwise to those? And how close is it (at least soundwise) to the holy grail? The one consistent comment made by guy's who've actually tired CW's (via Marty) is that its pretty heavy.
And does the mechanism have the authentic "squeak" that CW's did? Very Happy
Brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rballister wrote:
Enormous effort with an absolutely amazing result! But what does it sound like?

It sounds pretty much like any other 2-piece swamp ash Tele with Velvet Hammers and fake back

rballister wrote:
I know you have (or had) a number of tele's with benders. How does it compare mechanically/soundwise to those?

Similar or more or less the same as before.

rballister wrote:
And how close is it (at least soundwise) to the holy grail?

This may seem funny coming from someone that just built a CW clone...but way too much emphasis is placed on the instrument and not the player. If Clarence played this guitar you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and his original. But I feel the same way about this Tele even before I modded it. It was great sounding and playing even before. It sounds pretty much the same and plays as good if not better bender wise. But make no mistake...a Modern PW Bender is unsurpassed IMHO. It don't get any better. Bending the string with this clone is pretty much the same as bending with any high quality PW B Bender.

rballister wrote:
The one consistent comment made by guy's who've actually tired CW's (via Marty) is that its pretty heavy.

Yes this guitar is now officially heavy LOL

rballister wrote:
And does the mechanism have the authentic "squeak" that CW's did? Very Happy

No it doesn't and if it did I would fix it and get rid of it...but that's just me LOL
MarkT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will just have to be happy with what I have. Very cool though.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: