Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B&W benders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rballister

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: B&W benders Reply with quote

Interesting take on a B and B/G bender. Guy says he can do a long-throw and nothing is visible on the front or back. Very stealthy! Anybody try one of these?

http://www.bnwbenders.com/
Brian

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's alot of people on the TDPRI that have opinions about them
Bob Warford

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the site, and it is interesting that the guy's last name is Warford - no relation to me, even distant, as far as I know...

Bob
Brian

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob... His name surfaced several years ago among people on the TDPRI as far as know... It sounds like he he a retired machinist and has gotten involved building benders of his own design. I briefly played one a couple years ago. The one I played didn't have a very good mechanical feel but maybe it just wasn't set up properly.. His prices are very reasonable and the are bender design is stealth-like ...sort of like a Glaser bender I guess.
Silverface

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed him (there's no phone number) to get info about 6 months ago and his bender sounds very interesting - a strap lever like a Pullstring or Parsons-White with the slot in the upper bout, but a Glaser-like saddle changer system. To me that's a neat idea, as the strap lever is in a much better spot (When I play Glasers or Sheltons they feel like they're going to fall forward) and a "stealthy" changer. Very light weight, and apparently he can make them to any throw spec you want from under a half inch to 1 1/4" (like Clarence's and the Nashville West models - the "real" long throw).

He also has a kit, and that's what I was interested in, both for experimentation and a couple potential students who can't afford a Pullstring, PW, Glaser or a Fender Nashville with the PG, but want a strap type bender with a longer throw than a Higgins (and also with no cable).

It's a Glaser-style bender, which I don't prefer as I said, but I'm trying to figure out the lightest possible configuration I can put together using my '69 Japanese Reissue Thinline (which has to be one of the best sounding stock-electronics Teles I've ever played). Dave and I have talked about adapting a Pullstring-like bender to the Thinline, but it appears a couple of blocks would need to be added to the sides of the solid center section prior to routing, and the spring tension adjuster installation might be a bit tricky (it'd be in one of the "hollows" and almost certainly require mounting bolts that penetrate the top, with the heads showing).

Bill Warford told me the BW kit would work in the Thinline; there's a long hole to be drilled and two routing spots - one under the bridgeplate and the other under the neckplate. The main attraction, though, is that he can allegedly make it a long throw, short throw or an "in betweener" like Gene's 3/4" "long throw" - pick it and he changes the parts to make it work. It's also priced pretty reasonably, although I can't afford anything right now with my new business going slow and my D-41 in New Mexico for Bryan Kimsey's magic touch.

But I wanted to either pass on the info or one of my students might buy one - we'd do the install at Music Works (I could do it at home but Jim has all the tools already set up and better body-positioning methods than I have at home.) .

The problem is I haven't been able to get hold of Bill - several emails over the last 2-3 months with no reply. I heard he's still active and some have talked to him, but for some reason I can't make contact.

I'll keep trying and post details when I get them.
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Silverface...A Parsons Green or Parsons White can be installed in a Thinline. Bill Bores has done PW in thinlines but he does add a couple of small wood blocks for reinforcement..

I've personaly installed a PG in my own Thinline and Chainsaw (Mike McCullough) has also done it. Both of ours are Hipshot PG benders with the lightweight Aluminum backplate and I machined a special clevis for them that gives them a medium throw... Brian
Tony Trout

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a nice idea but....the guy could've turned down his damn guitar while showing how the bender is put in.

Even though I still love my P/W short-throw from Bill Bores, I still want another long-throw bender so bad that I can't stand it. I wish there was a way for him to also do "long-throw "G" benders....

I still hate like hell that StringPull guitars went out of business.....that was my only chance to ever own a "replica" of "Clarence" even though I got to play the real thing three years ago......

But, alas.....I'll keep dreaming.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Silverface

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Parsons Green or Parsons White can be installed in a Thinline.

That would completely defeat the purpose.

The whole idea in my idea for a Thinline bender installation is weight reduction with little to no tonal affect. With my back problems a long gig playing 8 - pound guitars can really be nasty. I tend to use the Evans more than the Nashville West playing out because it's quite a bit lighter (The NW still gets a ton of use!). A PG on a Thinline honestly sounds like a useless excercise - you'd take a punchy, resonant guitar and hang that stiff, heavy plate of monkeybars on the back. Respectfully, it makes no sense to me - tonally, balance-wise, and from a simple functional standpoint (but then I made the decision about a year ago after playing 7 or 8 PG's in a week that they're just not anywhere near a PW or Pullstring, and if I want to play a guitar that has the weight of a 70's P-Bass I'll play a 70's P-bass!

In other words - Why?????

No, my plan is a Thinline with a bender that either causes a negligible weight gain or a *reduction*!
Brian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim...

You missed my point that the ALUMINUM backplate PG bender from Hipshot IS very light. I have a Thinline at home that has one mounted in it. Your welcome to try it...

Brian

Here's a couple of pix of it

http://www.bbenderguitars.com/images/gallery/Allparts_ThinlineAluminumPGBender/slides/149-4985_IMG.html

http://www.bbenderguitars.com/images/gallery/Allparts_ThinlineAluminumPGBender/slides/149-4986_IMG.html
Dogbear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Brian used my military tactical, but I go by Dogbear on the forum. My home grown P/G thinline weights the same as it did without the aluminum P/W bender installed. I also installed an aluminum plate on the back of my Nashville and shaved 11 ounces off the guitar weight. The Hipshot aluminum bender also weighs less than the Fender when both have the aluminum plate installed…go figure. I’m sure you can get a little more with the BNW bender, I just don’t know how much.
Dogbear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashville with aluminum plate....

Home grown P/G Thinline with aluminum P/G.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: