Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2011 Martin Booth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: NAMM 2011 Martin Booth Reply with quote

I was at NAMM Thursday and yesterday and spent significant time in the Martin booth...

I A/B'd the D18GE and D18A and I wasn't floored with either of their tone...The D18A in particular seemed really bright and trebley to me which goes completely against what I was expecting. Maybe they just need time be broken in or something funky about the strings, or maybe just too much racket nearby. Both had impeccable craftsmanship though...great looking and feeling guitars

The D45A was an AWESOME sounding guitar. It was super light too....light as a feather.. It was the best sounding guiatr that I played there

I liked the new DCPA4 Performing Artist Sapele cutaway dreadnought...GREAT action on those guitars...you could flatpick them but still niec a low for intricate leads and country type singer songwriter style guitar...or classic rock like CSNY etc.. loved that guitar... I demoed it plugged into a Fishman Loudbox mini amp. tons of fun

The D18P and D28P has the same (Performing Artist) necks. Basically they are the same as a standard D18 D28 with a different neck..weak and thin sounding to my ears (spoiled by a D-45A mind you)

briefly played a Tyminsky D28 and came away un-inspired with the tone of that one...

D-28 Marquis sounded great

strummed the Peter Seeger 6 and 12 string baritones..the verdict? they are what they are... they sound nice if that's what your into...

I also played a Roger McGuinn 7 string and this one played great!! loved it..

please excuse my iPhone pix quality

Here's me playing the D-18A with the D100 ($100,000 !!) in the background

D-18A top

D-45A ($60,000 yikes)

Hot_Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow some serious Guitars there . I just took the Martin plunge yesterday a D-28 sunburst Very Happy
Brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats that a great choice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Flatpickin' All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: