Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bender question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmydeluxe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Bender question Reply with quote

Hi,
I've purchased a bender off ebay. It's not a 'name' bender just someones home built effort, it looks pretty much exactly like this.

It's a pretty basic affair but works really really well, the action of the bend is really excellent and smooth, definitely an upgrade from my higgins peg bender. The install is pretty rough, but it was very cheap and I new what I was getting... my question is this... on a PG or PW I see some sort of black material where the bender arm meets the tuning screw, what is this? Is it a high density sponge, that's what I'm assuming!? Mine doesn't have anything so I get a sort of knock when I bend and the metal arm hits the tuning screw and then when it goes back and hits the wood of the body (the one is photo above doesn't seem to have anything to dampen it either!?). Would just be nice if I could dampen the knock noise a bit, I realise I probably wont hear the knock when plugged in, but still... Any suggestions??

I'm swapping the neck and bridge/pickups etc over from my other tele, because the ones that came on it are, frankly, awful! I intended to do that anyway so that's fine... I might post a photo of the front when it's done but I will never post a photo of the back and the routing as it is really really bad! Such a mess! I need to fashion a cover plate for the bender too, it didn't come with one. But, as long as it works well, that's all I really care about!
Thanks.
Jimmy
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy...

Are you sure you have something that was homebrew? To me that looks like an original Gene Parsons early stage Parsons White bender. Especially the way it is routed. I would send a picture of it to Gene and ask him if it looks like one of his...
Dogbear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a tube of hard plastic material around the rod to dampen the metal to metal contact.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hard rubber tube is a piece of automobile gasoline fuel line obtainable at you local auto parts store Wink
Murr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydeluxe ..I had one exactly like that ..from early 70's before Gene got StringBender going.
jimmydeluxe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the hard rubber tube!
When I said it looks "exactly" like this, I should have said 'similar'... it is definitely a home brew. Sorry, I didn't mean to get everyone over excited...

I've got another question... I'd like to replace the tuning screw (which at the moment is just a normal screw, that doesn't poke out of the body) with a knurled thumb screw like this that'll just poke out of the body so I can tune the bend without a screw driver...

I've been searching and searching the internet but I can't seem to find one long enough, they all seem to come up about 1/2inch short. It needs to be 2inchs long at least and the thread is 1/8inch. Has anyone come across any/know where to get one?
Thanks for your help on this...

I put the neck on last night and quickly strung it up, the action is really nice and low, I'm very pleased so far! The body is a dark green sunburst and I've put the tortoise shell scratch plate on (it's gonna be an esquire) and it's looking really really good! Gonna swap the pickup etc from my old guitar tonight. It's terribly exciting...
chriscallans

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen or hex head screws' work great, but you need the allen or hex head wrench to adjust. but they sink below the surface etc.
once you have it adjusted in, the pitch will usually hold until the string stretches. gets old etc.
i change strings often, so i usually never have to adjust it really at all.
i can't count the time i have poked my face with the external tuning screw, while taking off the guitar.
straplocks, cable running inside the rear strap etc...made for pulling the guitar off over my head, and...well, you get the 'point' ha.
Raybob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real similar to the tuner screws on my Sierra keyless pedal steel guitar. They are about 2" and I believe it's a #8-32 thread. Head is small hex and screws are made of brass.

http://www.sierrasteels.com/
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: